Author Topic: Beretta Gold Rush loading problem  (Read 6475 times)

Offline LostVaquero

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Beretta Gold Rush loading problem
« on: July 13, 2015, 12:21:02 PM »
Well as mentioned previously I was going through a bit of estate and came across a Beretta Gold Rush rifle brand new in the box.  It is the 24.25" barrel job and in 357 magnum. 

Cleaned it up and put a couple of snap caps through - no problem. 

Tried a couple of live rounds of 38 that I use for CAS and it feed and went bang - no problem.

Well maybe says I, I got something fun to shoot.  So looking at the book it says that it should be able to hold 13 rounds.  Alright, 10 should be no problem.  I tried stuffing it with ten and by the time I got to 8 rounds there was no way I could squeeze in anything more.

Figured maybe something in the tube.  I took it apart and no, just the follower and the spring.  Put everything back together and tried again.  Again, about 8 rounds and it was becoming an exercise in frustration.  Past 5 rounds that spring in the tube was screeching like an old screen door hinge.

Took everything apart again but the spring did not seem rusty to me.  Tried again and same result. 

I am thinking maybe the spring needs a coil or two cut off or is there something more obvious that is just slipping by me.

Thanks

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
Re: Beretta Gold Rush loading problem
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 12:41:10 PM »
How much spring extends past the end of the mag tube with the plug removed?  You should be able to trim it so that only 2 or 3 inches sticks out and it should work okay.  Also, check that there are no dents in the mag tube itself.  I recall some '66's in the past that somehow had gotten a ding in the mag tube (at the factory during assembly), underneath the forearm so you couldn't see it, that caused similar problems.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 12:56:26 PM »
Screeching like an old door hinge?  Did you try oiling the inside of the tube.  If it was sitting around for a while it may be dry as a bone.  Metal parts need lube.  Run an oily patch down the tube and you may be surprised at how brown it comes out.  I would not cut the spring unless it is sticking way past the end of the tube.  Since it is a 24" barrel I doubt that is the problem.  Lightnings need pretty decent spring pressure to get reliable feeding when you start shooting it fast.  Also, the Beretta is a .357 it is not a .38 Special.  If you are loading short .38 Specials they could be kinking in the mag tube.  In addition, the Beretta Lighnting has a mechanical cut off in its feed mechanism.  On most rifles it is right around 1.520".  Rounds shorter than that simply won't feed correctly.  Bullet shape can also affect how easy or hard the rounds load.  On a Lignthing the rounds are basically going around a corner as you load them into the mag tube.  A bullet with a sharp ogive will deflect and push against the side of the tube.  You need a good old fashioned RNFP bullet.  The old standard 158 grain cop style RNFP bullet feeds into the tube and into the chamber very well.  They can be MADE to run shorter ammo or use non-RNFP bullets but it is a lot of work and expense.  Stick with .357 cases and standard RNFP bullets while you are doing your initial tests to see how well the gun functions.  For some reason they all seem to work great with snap caps out in your garage.  However, they tend to turn into nightmares once you get to the range and try to feed live ammo through them.  

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:20:21 PM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 01:07:02 PM »
If Photobucket is co-operating here is an example.  The round on the left goes through both my Beretta/Ubertis like greased monkey snot.  The round on the right jams.  These are both .357s.

Offline LostVaquero

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 01:51:05 PM »
Alright looks like some new rounds, mine are like the one on the right.  Also no I did nothing to the tube or the spring.  I just never thought about that.  Thanks will try both!

Offline LostVaquero

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 07:23:26 PM »
Well did as suggezted cleaned the mag tube.  Brown as all heck.  Put a good greaseless lube in and on the spring then wiped down until clean.  Made up some new rounds and then gave it a go.  A littlen stiff about round nine but got ten in without too much struggle.  Each round popped out no problem.

Decided to give it a go on the last three stages.  Rounds cycled real nice except the last stage and second to the last jammed.  Pretty sure my fault as these were knockdown and I did not pump the rifle with authority.  Sure isn't a 73 but when I did my part the rifle sang. 

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 01:00:38 AM »
The next little hint in your efforts to make the Lighting reliable.  Uberti uses one mag tube size for the big and small bores.  The .38/.357s kind of rattle down the tube.  This works fairly well on the lever guns but the Lightnings like the feeding to be as straight as possible.  A few months ago I did an article for the SASS Cowboy Chronicle on mag tube liners.  I have lined Uberti tubes for several years with .38 caliber Marlin mag tubes.  They are an exact sliding fit inside the Uberti tube.  There are now two makers of after market liners.  One is alumimum and one plastic.  Both work well at reducing the mag tube ID and both don't make the gun as muzzle heavy as using the steel Marlin tube.  The only problem is no one makes the proper size follower for the Lightning.  Insert a liner, stainless steel mag spring and get someone to make you a proper size follower and you will have taken the next step to reliability.

Offline LostVaquero

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 12:03:38 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I have been looking at the liner that Jimmy Spurs makes (of Cowboy Gunworks).  He is not sure it will work but said that he would be willing to give a full refund.  Next on my list. 

Oh by the way, not in a CAS shoot but at the range the first time I had four empty rounds hit me in the head (hat actually).  Maybe not fast for some folks but a first for me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com