Author Topic: B Western Lightning  (Read 4069 times)

Offline LostVaquero

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
B Western Lightning
« on: July 11, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
Alright, I have been thinking of going B Western.  That means no 1873.  Guess Marlin and Rossi 1892 are probably most popular but I have always liked something different.  Anyway, long story short, picked up a still new in the box Beretta Gold Rush for a good price.  It is the 24" barrel 357 version and is one pretty rifle.

Looking around it seems lightnings have a bad reputation.  I am not a fast shooter, I just go for the fun of shooting.  However, can the lightnings be made to run successfully or should I say reliably enough.

I would like the replace the spring in the mag tube as if feels like they used something off an old model T.  I see stainless steel springs and followers for 1873s and wonder if that would fit?

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: B Western Lightning
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 01:08:20 PM »
Suggestion...
Ever seen a colt lighting pump action rifle (any caliber) use in any B Western?
There might be a reason?
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 08:33:08 AM »

American Western Arms used to make a Lightning that worked.  I have one and it works just fine as long as the bullet profile is correct. I know of two Pedersoli lightnings that also work with no problems. 

Stay away from a Tauraus.

Lucky   
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:11:29 AM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 10:13:54 AM »
Alright, I have been thinking of going B Western.  That means no 1873.  Guess Marlin and Rossi 1892 are probably most popular but I have always liked something different.  Anyway, long story short, picked up a still new in the box Beretta Gold Rush for a good price.  It is the 24" barrel 357 version and is one pretty rifle.

Looking around it seems lightnings have a bad reputation.  I am not a fast shooter, I just go for the fun of shooting.  However, can the lightnings be made to run successfully or should I say reliably enough.

I would like the replace the spring in the mag tube as if feels like they used something off an old model T.  I see stainless steel springs and followers for 1873s and wonder if that would fit?

I always tell everyone that if you are going to shoot a Lightning be prepared to make it a second hobby.  I have 14 of them.  Originals and all the various copies made through the years.  NONE of them is completely reliable out of the box on any kind of consistent basis.  Yes, some AWAs worked.  Many didn't.  A few Taurauses worked, most didn't.  There are two versions of the Uberti/Beretta.  The first version didn't work too well so they redesigned it.  The second version doesn't work too well out of the box either.  Both can be MADE to run if you spend enough time and money on it.  The USFA is beautifully made but is scarce and the one I have has never worked correctly.  I just got some parts welded and will recontour them to see if I can get the USFA up and running.  However, whatever you have you will need to learn how and why things happen when you pump the gun and be prepared to do your own maintenance and repairs.  There are only two or three gunsmiths in the country that have the foggiest idea how a Lightning works.  Parts are impossible to get for most and even for those that are still in production (Uberti and Pedersoli) parts are few and far between.  I have an early and late Uberti/Beretta and after 20+ hours of work they both work well MOST of the time.  They periodically go out of tune and need a little work.   But, when they are running they are a hoot to shoot and quite fast.  The Lightning that is most likely to work out of the box and that requires the least tuning is the Pedersoli.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 11:18:29 AM »
Pettyifogger,

Pedersoli would be my suggestion as well. If someone had to have a Colt Lighting.
That being said, I would not give up on any of my '66"s or '73's for any Colt Lighting.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Johnny Dingus

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 01:40:14 PM »
Have a AWA lightning in 45lc that I have had no problems with as long as I did my job of racking it firmly and keeping it clean.  The other thing you need to watch is the OAL of the round you are shooting.  I really enjoyed shooting it and shot many matches clean with it.  But when I got my 73 I stopped shooting it.  The lightning was and is fun to shoot and is fast but when racking the slide you are moving the front of the rifle around therefore you are moving the sight off of the target.  It is much easier to keep the 73 on target because when you are levering the rifle it is back past the mid point and you are not moving the sight off of the target.

For style points the lightning is great if you can get one that works consistently.  It is fast and different and you will get a lot of comments about how everyone knows somebody that shot one and could never get it to work. 

Mine I had to clean it every 50 to 75 rounds and keep the OAL around 1.57" and it would not have problems.  Even shot the Oregon State match clean with it in 2011.  Have found memories of shooting it and will probably pull it out of the safe for a shoot again but have fallen in love with the 73 and.....

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com