Author Topic: Interchanging a Uberti 1860 Army Grip Frame With A USFA SAA  (Read 5491 times)

Offline jd45

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I just got thru with this install, with encouragement from Coffinmaker. I was wanting something more substantial to hang on to with stout hunting loads I intend to use this upcoming deer season, & I really like how the new grip feels in my hand, and I don't have large hands, either. Haven't fired my handloads yet, but am confident this grip will provide more controllability, under recoil. I recommend exploring this swap if you think it might help you with control & accuracy. jd45
P.S.  ....I had to shorten the trigger a little to give it room to travel. Did it with a small Dremel-like grinder....no big thing.

Offline markg44

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Interchanging a Uberti 1860 Army Grip Frame With A USFA SAA
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 07:44:59 AM »
No pics?

Offline jd45

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 07:05:41 PM »
Mark, I'm afraid I'm not computer/camera savvy enough to do that. My apologies, jd45

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:34:24 AM »

Offline markg44

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 08:11:16 AM »
JD, apology accepted, I'm not very good with the picture thing either. I do think that setup would look really nice, especially with a nice set of figured walnut or rosewood grips.

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 02:25:58 PM »
What is the barrel length? This is purely my opinion, but I've always thought a SAA with the 1860 Army grips is a handsome six-gun.

Glad to hear everything worked out well for you here!
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline jd45

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 09:02:25 PM »
Actually, I'm REALLY regretting not learning how to do pictures, cause it looks pretty spiffy. I took off the original finish from the stocks & used Min Wax Golden Pecan #245, followed by a few coats of their clear Polyurethane satin, sanding in between with 400 emery. The Pecan gives them a sorta-kinda walnut look. Really turned out well.
As far as barrel length goes it's 7-1/2"; .45 Colt caliber; and the rear sight notch has a square bottom, with a flattop front giving it a "partridge" sight picture, which helps accuracy over the earlier design "V" setup. AND, listen to this! When I bought the 1860 from Dixie Gun Works, I also bought a shoulder stock along with it. Trouble is the 1860 cylinder frame has holes on either side to help secure the stock to the gun. My USFA does not, all I've got is that knurled nut on the bottom of the grip frame to hold it, so I can't use it to steady the gun for longer shots.....might not be legal, anyway. jd45

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 09:03:37 AM »
In one of the old USFA catalogs or brochures there was a picture of a 7 1/2" SA with an Army grip frame.  I'll sort thru the old stuff and see if I can find it.

Offline Jake C

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 09:27:43 AM »
Actually, I'm REALLY regretting not learning how to do pictures, cause it looks pretty spiffy. I took off the original finish from the stocks & used Min Wax Golden Pecan #245, followed by a few coats of their clear Polyurethane satin, sanding in between with 400 emery. The Pecan gives them a sorta-kinda walnut look. Really turned out well.
As far as barrel length goes it's 7-1/2"; .45 Colt caliber; and the rear sight notch has a square bottom, with a flattop front giving it a "partridge" sight picture, which helps accuracy over the earlier design "V" setup. AND, listen to this! When I bought the 1860 from Dixie Gun Works, I also bought a shoulder stock along with it. Trouble is the 1860 cylinder frame has holes on either side to help secure the stock to the gun. My USFA does not, all I've got is that knurled nut on the bottom of the grip frame to hold it, so I can't use it to steady the gun for longer shots.....might not be legal, anyway. jd45

Sounds like you've got yourself a real beauty of a pistol! Now I'm disappointed that there aren't pictures. I'll bet if it shoots half as good as it looks, you'll be a very happy camper. Enjoy!
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 03:47:29 PM »
if you can email the photo...I'll post it for you..email to the left
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline jd45

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 08:07:51 PM »
Thank you Major. My brother will be back from the summer cottage this weekend. He can use his phone camera to take a pic of it & we'll email it to you. jd45

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 11:39:34 PM »
Major2,
that would be much appreciated.  Many of us would like to see JD45's gun!
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline jd45

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 11:42:26 AM »
A note to all interested.....I just got back from my brother's where we took pics of the grip frame mod I did to my USFA & emailed them to Major 2, so he could post them on this thread. Hopefully, they'll follow as soon as possible. jd45

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 02:00:20 PM »
Ta Da !

I enlarged , rotated & cropped them
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline jd45

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 02:32:44 PM »
Thank you Major 2! I have found that the longer grip frame provides more room for my fingers to "spread out" along it, whereas the original "hogleg" frame pinches them. I should also advise that if anyone decides to do this, they should perform the swap as a complete "set" of grip frame & stocks, as the stocks are massaged to fit an individual grip frame & wouldn't look right on another. Fortunately, I already had a Uberti 1860 Army revolver I could "steal" the set from. jd45

Offline Jake C

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 10:34:51 AM »
That is a purty six-gun!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com