Author Topic: Winchester 1873 Short Rifle / Miruko what upgrades  (Read 4136 times)

Offline Rick53

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Winchester 1873 Short Rifle / Miruko what upgrades
« on: July 02, 2015, 04:17:14 PM »
I have already had Cody slick it up. I didn't go with a SS kit - Wonder if PGW's  Light Weight Firing Pin Extension is needed. Is there any advantage to a short stroke kit. My rifle seems to be one of the good ones. The action is slick and fast -as well as smooth. I hear complaints on SS kits. So curious

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Re: Winchester 1873 Short Rifle / Miruko what upgrades
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 01:23:20 AM »
I have a Navy Arms/Winchester and it already has a short stroke kit.  Not the shortest available but shorter than a real Winchester from bitd.  Don't all the new Winchesters come with a shorter stroke than the originals?  I also have a super short stroke kit in my "race" '73.  I works like goose grease chit.  But frankly I am not a huge fan.  Outside a SASS match where everyone runs the guns like they are full auto @ BIG targets,  I don't shoot a rifle that way.  I like small targets at some distance.  Short stoke kits have no draw for me there.     
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 04:18:51 PM »
The answer to your question is ........ "depends."

I built competition Toggle Link rifles for over 16 years.  My council to my customers was always the same.  the biggest bang for your buck is/was a good, quality action job.  Uberti rifles were/are notorious for heavy springs.  Heavy to the point they cause accelerated wear in the moving parts.  Not to mention, those same springs made the rifle "unfun."  Judicious rubbin "n" buffin, and tuning the springs down to more reasonable levels made those rifles very user friendly indeed.

The Japanese made copy of the '73 isn't much different.  Judicious internal rubbin "n" buffin and tuning the springs to an effective but user friendly level is your best bet.  I'm not impressed with all the "junk" included in the Japanese firing pin extension.  Switching out to the extension made by Pioneer can't hurt.  That one change may also not make a noticeable improvement.

Now the hard question.  At what level of CAS do you want to compete??  The Super Short Stroke kit makes a measurable difference in the speed at which the rifle can be run.  If the primary use of the rifle is CAS, in all honesty, the SS kit makes it more fun (once you learn to run it).  Pioneer's kit is a quality product.  It does however take careful instillation and adjustment.  Done right it's a treat.

You may well find you can run your rifle righteously fast "as is."  Going faster WILL get expensive.

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:04:37 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 05:36:00 PM »
back in the day (70's)  as a IMSA/SCCA driver ...the catch phrase was speed costs ..how fast can you afford to go ?

Yes the Miruko has a shorter stroke by design, comes installed  Winchester, Navy Arms etal will advertise it.
,  but as rule does not call it a " Short Stroke "

Semantics really.... it is shorter, see photo

1. Original 73
2. Miruko
3. 3rd gen. PGW's  Short Stroke on a Uberti

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 07:46:52 PM »
If you can try different versions.  Much as I like my ss kit '73 I shot an original '73 as a kid.
So unless it is match day I'd really rather just shoot a standard length action.  It simply feels better to me.

Super SS kits are a little harder physically to run...but they are without a doubt exceptionally fast.  My wife is not a big fan compared to a moderate SS kit or better yet the original versions.  Try before you buy is my suggestion.

as Coffinmaker sez: "It does however take careful instillation and adjustment.  Done right it's a treat."

You can take that to the bank...done wrong, more than likely the gun won't even run!
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com