Author Topic: gone totally old school  (Read 8950 times)

Offline hammer1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
gone totally old school
« on: June 30, 2015, 06:42:56 PM »
How many here have gone totally to the vintage guns, hunting, and just general use. Ive been considering it, and wanted to receive some input. Many thanks.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: gone totally old school
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 10:24:51 PM »
I haven't gone "totally" to vintage guns, but I do have more than a complete battery to use for CAS when the mood strikes me.  I have:
1. 2 - 1st Gen Colt Artillery Models (manufactured 1880 & 1881)
2. Winchester 1873 in 38WCF (manufactured 1888)
3. Winchester 1892 in 44WCF
4. Remington 1889 12 gauge hammered double
5. Winchester 1897
6. Colt Lightning in 32WCF I'm in the process of resurrecting

I shoot only BP, so have no fear of shooting these old timers.  Of course, they were checked over by a competent gunsmith before returning to service.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 12:39:30 AM »
Newest long guns are a Model 8 Remington and a Stevens pump 12 gauge.  All the rest are pre 1895 designs.

Hand guns are a different matter.  Got .45 acp, 9mm, .380, .32. .22, .38 Special, 357, and a couple of others.

First "go to" guns are a pair of .45 Colt SAAs, though.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:22:21 AM »

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 09:28:40 AM »
Right now, the most recent guns I have in terms of design are a Mosin-Nagant ex-Dragoon and a S&W Model 10. Everything else is all old school. If I'm gonna spend money on a firearm, I'd rather get something that I'm really gonna love.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 01:40:37 PM »
Besides modern repros of old 19th century guns, my newest in a 1918 Imperial German Luger.  Its just a little under 100 years old.  So yeah, I'm pretty much all old school.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Jake C

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 01:52:28 PM »
Besides modern repros of old 19th century guns, my newest in a 1918 Imperial German Luger.  Its just a little under 100 years old.  So yeah, I'm pretty much all old school.

You have no idea how jealous I am of you. My local gun shop had a Luger fairly recently, and now has a C96 Mauser that I've stared at lovingly every time I stop by.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 02:31:08 PM »
Here in Illinois we are not allowed to use anything fun.  :(
King Medallion

Offline hammer1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 05:15:07 PM »
King, im in NY, so fun factor is what you find. But I played with full auto, thanks to uncle sam, the 2nd rangers, and the 82nd. I have the stainless and composite rifles, but they aint much to look at, and admire. My 76 on the other hand, I could admire that all day, same with the sharps, and the 73. They dont beat the snot out of you, and they are just fun to shoot.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 01:23:57 PM »
You have no idea how jealous I am of you. My local gun shop had a Luger fairly recently, and now has a C96 Mauser that I've stared at lovingly every time I stop by.

The Luger was a bucket list gun for me. It points so well and is amazingly accurate. Along with it I have the original loading tool and original holster dated 1918. I'm not much on newfangled smokeless guns, but this one is a keeper. A broomhandle would be fun too!
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 09:25:07 AM »
The most modern weapon I currently own is my father's .357 left me when he passed.  As far as for myself, I divested myself of modern chicanery and I only own vintage or vintage style weapons.  Am considering one for my carry piece but I may go apostate and buy a modern weapon for that.  My dilemma is that if I buy, say, a Glock, I won't ever shoot it and familiarity with a self defense piece, I think, should be a key factor.  

So, my own weapons?  Just picked up a customized 1898 Krag sporter as a deer rifle.  I may or may not hang onto it, it is extremely nice and it's a great deer round, but . . . kinda modern . . . 1898.  If anyone has an older style replica I'd consider a trade . . .

Best of luck in all your endeavors,

Mean Bob
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 09:26:23 AM »
Here in Illinois we are not allowed to use anything fun.  :(

I'm going to be sad all day just reading this. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Jake C

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 09:36:11 AM »
The most modern weapon I currently own is my father's .357 left me when he passed.  As far as for myself, I divested myself of modern chicanery and I only own vintage or vintage style weapons.  Am considering one for my carry piece but I may go apostate and buy a modern weapon for that.  My dilemma is that if I buy, say, a Glock, I won't ever shoot it and familiarity with a self defense piece, I think, should be a key factor.  

So, my own weapons?  Just picked up a customized 1898 Krag sporter as a deer rifle.  I may or may not hang onto it, it is extremely nice and it's a great deer round, but . . . kinda modern . . . 1898.  If anyone has an older style replica I'd consider a trade . . .

Best of luck in all your endeavors,

Mean Bob

I use my '75 Remington clone in .45 Colt as my carry gun. Maybe not the smartest choice, but I shoot it more than any other firearm I own, I'm a decent enough shot with it, it's a proven man-stopper cartridge (.45 Colt), and it ranks pretty high on the intimidation factor, in my opinion. Like you said, I'd barely shoot a more modern piece, so I'd rather carry something that I know how to use.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 09:51:39 AM »
I use my '75 Remington clone in .45 Colt as my carry gun. Maybe not the smartest choice, but I shoot it more than any other firearm I own, I'm a decent enough shot with it, it's a proven man-stopper cartridge (.45 Colt), and it ranks pretty high on the intimidation factor, in my opinion. Like you said, I'd barely shoot a more modern piece, so I'd rather carry something that I know how to use.

Bingo and cheers to you sir.  Only issue I have is that I can't conceal my 1860 in .44 Colt as well as I'd like when I wear my Florida togs.  Thinking about trying to find a lightning Uberti in .41 LC.  I know what a pain it would be to load for, yes it is a weird project, but a 3.5 or 4.75 inch barreled .41 might make a half-assed carry gun. 

I don't know.  Perhaps I should stick to brickbats?
- Cole Younger

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 10:00:57 AM »
How about a deringer or two and a good dagger?
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Jake C

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 10:17:20 AM »
Bingo and cheers to you sir.  Only issue I have is that I can't conceal my 1860 in .44 Colt as well as I'd like when I wear my Florida togs.  Thinking about trying to find a lightning Uberti in .41 LC.  I know what a pain it would be to load for, yes it is a weird project, but a 3.5 or 4.75 inch barreled .41 might make a half-assed carry gun.  

I don't know.  Perhaps I should stick to brickbats?

I say go for the .41 LC. Heck, I'd want one, but I'm still way too much of a newbie in regards to reloading. I suspect .41 LC would be beyond my ability range.

You could also get a spare barrel for your 1860 and cut it down as an Avenging Angel. Seemed to do okay for Orrin Porter Rockwell, and folks haven't changed that much in the last 150 or so years.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 02:41:50 PM »
How about a deringer or two and a good dagger?

Good idea as well.
- Cole Younger

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 02:43:01 PM »
I say go for the .41 LC. Heck, I'd want one, but I'm still way too much of a newbie in regards to reloading. I suspect .41 LC would be beyond my ability range.

You could also get a spare barrel for your 1860 and cut it down as an Avenging Angel. Seemed to do okay for Porter Rockwell, and folks haven't changed that much in the last 150 or so years.

Cole Younger also carried a cut down 1860 conversion in .44 Colt.  Two mean men, same gun.  Does fit the theme of my alias . . .
- Cole Younger

Offline hammer1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 06:06:04 PM »
Mean bob, im not fond of the glock, my carry piece is a les baer UTC, I have a novaked browning hi power, and a recently acquired smith model 25-5 in 45 colt. My baer and the hipower share time carried . I used the 76 last year for deer season, my next hurdle is, im a fanatic duck hunter. A different shotgun, with possibly different ammo will be in order

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 06:48:25 PM »
Howdy
Maybe a 87 shotgun with a long barrel .

Offline hammer1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2015, 07:28:30 PM »
Rowdy, im thinking side by side, hevi shot makes a classic doubles load that would work

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com