Author Topic: Need some help Re-assembling my New 1873  (Read 4417 times)

Offline Rick53

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need some help Re-assembling my New 1873
« on: June 28, 2015, 04:22:19 PM »
I can't get my bolt ( SCREW) to go thru the hole to re-install my level. It's no rocket science but there seems to be a lip in the way. Has anyone else every experienced this? Is there something simple I am missing? I'm not referring to lining up the parts. I can't seem to get it started to get to the slot in the lever itself. I don't want to force it and strip off threads.

Offline zezzanth

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Need some help Re-assembling my New 1873
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 04:29:50 PM »
Check the lever spring, if it has tension on it you will not be able to but the bolt thru.  You can relieve the tension on this by loosening the screw on the bottom of the receiver, or by prying up on the spring with a screwdriver.

Offline Rick53

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 05:21:36 PM »
Check the lever spring, if it has tension on it you will not be able to but the bolt thru.  You can relieve the tension on this by loosening the screw on the bottom of the receiver, or by prying up on the spring with a screwdriver.
I notice that the main spring screw is loose. I can't tighten it either. I'd sent the rifle to Cody for an action job . I'm not sure but it almost appears as though the lower tang is not in all the way. When I took the lever screw out it didn't come out straight at the end. Almost like it got hung up. The screw that''s lose on the lower tang has to be the main spring. So I am probaly going to have to take the Rifle down and see if the lower tang can be pushed up a hair more. Your spring idea was a good thought but I can't get the screw in far enough for those to even  come into play . It won't start . And that's in the area where there's no threads.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:35:35 AM »

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 06:00:05 PM »
The lever spring will not let you get the bolt started if you do not loosen it also loosen the screw for the spring on the other side that puts tension on the lifter. The main spring should not affect you trying to put the lower tang back into place. When you put it in just START the screws on either side of the receiver then the lever screw should slide into place. Sometimes they are quite tight when the gun is new. Try cleaning the surfaces on the lower tang that mate with the receiver and then put a little white lithium grease on it. It should be a little easier to assemble. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Rick53

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 06:13:40 PM »
The lever spring will not let you get the bolt started if you do not loosen it also loosen the screw for the spring on the other side that puts tension on the lifter. The main spring should not affect you trying to put the lower tang back into place. When you put it in just START the screws on either side of the receiver then the lever screw should slide into place. Sometimes they are quite tight when the gun is new. Try cleaning the surfaces on the lower tang that mate with the receiver and then put a little white lithium grease on it. It should be a little easier to assemble. wM1
Assuming you mean these I have actually went so far as to remove them completely You are right the lower tang won't budge I will see if that has dirt or something . It's a very fine difference because to look at the hole there appears to be no issue. There are no threads on the left side. SO hopefully what you are suggesting is the way to go. It took me less then an hour to take down and clean the gun. I was making great time until I ran into this issue. I appreciate your suggestions.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 05:21:19 AM »
Sometimes things will be  a little skewed on the fit of the lower tang. I have one that is difficult to line up and difficult to remove the lower tang. Its almost as if the frame is a tad off also the lever screw will back out by itself and has to be retightened. However it is my best running rifle. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Rick53

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 08:47:50 AM »
Sometimes things will be  a little skewed on the fit of the lower tang. I have one that is difficult to line up and difficult to remove the lower tang. Its almost as if the frame is a tad off also the lever screw will back out by itself and has to be retightened. However it is my best running rifle. wM1
Cody suggested I remove the stock. He was right/ Slipped right in.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 01:39:36 PM »
How the dickens did you get it off without removing the stock in the first place? I guess I shoulda asked but I just figured you would automatically remove the stock to take the lower tang off. I just stripped and cleaned 3 of them today (2 '73's and a '66).  wM1

Offline Rick53

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 03:15:50 PM »
How the dickens did you get it off without removing the stock in the first place? I guess I shoulda asked but I just figured you would automatically remove the stock to take the lower tang off. I just stripped and cleaned 3 of them today (2 '73's and a '66).  wM1
It wasn't the lower tang I had off. It was just the guts in the middle . That's what's bad about the Internet -Hard to often explain things to others understanding

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 06:06:27 PM »
The tang is held in place by the lever screw and the two screws on either side of the receiver. when you remove the lever screw without taking the stock off the bolt that goes though the top tang and into the bottom tang would put tension on it making it difficult at best to get the lever screw back in. wM1

Offline Rick53

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 11:32:56 AM »
The tang is held in place by the lever screw and the two screws on either side of the receiver. when you remove the lever screw without taking the stock off the bolt that goes though the top tang and into the bottom tang would put tension on it making it difficult at best to get the lever screw back in. wM1
Live and learn : The video I watched before tearing it down showed taking the stock off first but when putting it back together the stock was installed ahead of time.  Now that I know the order I am GTG Thanks for taking time to answer

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 02:28:59 PM »
Not a problem. The first one I took apart and did an action job on was a '92. I had a little help from Mauraders website. wM1

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com