Author Topic: Wesson rifle eligibility  (Read 6721 times)

Offline elhombreconnonombre

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Wesson rifle eligibility
« on: June 25, 2015, 11:14:18 PM »
Is a Palmetto reproduction of a Edwin Wesson muzzle loading target rifle eligible for shooting in the American Plainsman Society?
Interesting note is that before his death at Huamantla in Oct. 1847, Sam Walker had just received a Wesson from his brother and his two presentation revolvers from Colt.
Member of THR Clubs (Black Powder Forum): Walker, Le Mat, 1858 Remington, 1851/1860 Colt

AKA Sgt. Smokey Bexar, McNelly's Rangers, Washington County Company A, Grand Army of the Frontier #839

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Wesson rifle eligibility
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 05:15:55 PM »
ps There is some speculation that Walker may have taken the Wesson into battle with him in the hopes of drawing a long distance bead on Santa Anna. He wrote in his last letter his desire to kill or capture Santa Anna. It is a fact that once he heard that Santa Anna was in command of the Mexican forces he and his own company rushed into battle leaving the other 3 companies he was leading in his dust. They didn't call him "Mad Walker" for no reason.
Member of THR Clubs (Black Powder Forum): Walker, Le Mat, 1858 Remington, 1851/1860 Colt

AKA Sgt. Smokey Bexar, McNelly's Rangers, Washington County Company A, Grand Army of the Frontier #839

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 02:28:55 PM »
Additional research indicates that Walker reportedly discussed purchasing 100 Wessons (for his new Co.
C. USMR, to go along with the new Colts????) during his recruiting trip to the east. The Wesson  transaction was never completed. And his own Co. C were not issued the military Colts until after his death in what was the last major battle of the Mexican War.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:49:21 AM »

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 10:51:12 AM »
In Cormac McCarthy's  novel "Blood Meridian" set in 1849, a sergeant of the filibustering expedition early in the book has a Wesson rifle that he uses to  take camp meat, mostly at long range: "The sergeant carried in his saddle scabbard a heavy Wesson rifle that used a false muzzle and paper patch and fired a coneshaped ball. With it he killed the little wild pigs of the desert and later when they began to see herds of antelope he would halt in the dusk with the sun off the land and screwing a bipod into the threaded boss on the underside of the barrel would kill these animals where they stood grazing at distances of half a mile. The rifle carried a vernier sight on the tang and he would eye the distance and gauge the wind and set the sight like a man using a micrometer."
Sounds to me like the Wesson would be ideal for Plainsman.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 02:34:12 PM »
Thanks EK

Since many of the typically available  Hawkens, plains rifles, mountain rifles, etc.  are specifically not allowed, I was hoping this would fit the bill. It does have an adjustable rear sight, but the graduated ramp can be removed.  Thus I have an open rear semi buckhorn sight that is acceptable.

I plan to shoot this rifle along with a pair of Italian steel frame cap and ball Colt or Remington replicas...even my pair of Whitneyville-Walkers. With this rifle and revolvers I could develop the impression of a Texas Ranger in Mexico in federal service during the Mexican War OR on the  Texas frontier.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 03:58:42 PM »
elhombre...,

Perhaps this is the time to ask you if you have photos available of the ML firearm you are asking about?
Info on the caliber and type of bullet you wish to use may also help.
Is this a Main match rifle you wish to use? Or long range side match?
This sort of information on your part may get you better replies?
Just a thought on my part.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 09:24:24 AM »
Blair
Here ya go. 50 cal. I would like to use this in any appropriate competition using soft lead rb and/or conical.
Ronnie
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=211714&d=1435432871

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=211715&d=1435432871

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 01:50:05 PM »
elhombre,

Thanks. I can't access any images.

I truly hope you enjoy your quest!
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 02:56:31 PM »
I'd love to get my mitts on a good repro of the Wesson Rifle. I hope Palmetto Arms isn't the only manufacturer. My past experiences with Palmetto have not been favorable. Their lack of quality control has produced some firearms I'd actually be afraid to shoot.

What's the word from those out there who have Palmetto brand guns? Just because I've seen a few rotten apples does not mean that the company is a write-off on that alone. I am just wary on my end but would like to hear from the other members on it.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 12:36:00 AM »
Dave
I havent ever owned a Palmetto product, so I dont know what  to expect, but this one seems well made. I havent shot it yet.

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 01:00:15 AM »
Thanks Hombre,

I look forward to hearing what you think on it.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 05:37:44 PM »
Here's one that supposedly belonged to Capt. Jack Coffee Hays. It is in the Texas Rangers Museum in Waco.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com