Author Topic: Blanks for my original spencer rifle ???  (Read 4713 times)

Offline JSpencerman

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Blanks for my original spencer rifle ???
« on: June 13, 2015, 09:11:06 PM »
Ok pards. Have seen a few posts about reenactment blanks for original spencer rifles used at Selma. Where do I purchase some blanks for my original spencer rifle. Started doing living history and would like to demo the spencer's abilities for the public.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Blanks for my original spencer rifle ???
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 10:41:59 PM »
As you are undoubtedly aware, most repeating rifles require a blank which is essentially the same shape and over-all length of a loaded round, if they are to cycle through the action and permit firing multiple shots.  I suppose commercially-produced blanks might be available for an original Spencer, but if so I suspect the cost would be rather dear!

If you reload, there is a method of producing safe but effective blanks for use in repeating rifles which I have had great success with, although I certainly didn't come up with the original idea.  It involves loading each blank with a "bullet" made of coiled-up lightweight cardboard (such as is used for canned soft-drink cartons) or the like.  Done correctly, this method produces a loaded "blank" of the same over-all length and general contour of a loaded cartridge (so it will feed through the action) yet when the round is fired the "paper bullet" immediately uncoils (or is blown to smithereens) so no "projectile" goes downrange ....

Look here - http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,33962.0.html

.... and here - http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,34797.msg447709.html#msg447709

These are examples I have loaded (.45-75 Win. on top and .45 Colt below) which feed nicely through lever action rifles for "rapid fire" with blanks ....

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 06:10:31 PM »
I am curious...
How well do these over the powder wads hold together at say 25 yards?
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:02:31 AM »

Offline Poodleshooter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 09:42:41 PM »
If making them is an alternative: http://www.44henryrifle.webs.com/spencerrifleblanks.htm
It includes information on using blanks in 56-50 or 56-56.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 01:25:51 PM »
I am curious...
How well do these over the powder wads hold together at say 25 yards?
My best,
 Blair

Although these "coiled cardboard bullets" appear pretty substantial when loaded into a cartridge, and nicely take the place of a real bullet to achieve a suitable OAL for feeding through a repeating rifle action, as mentioned above they don't "hold together" at all when fired, in my experience.  If not blown to smithereens, they uncoil and drop to the ground inside of 10 yards or so, thus posing little or no hazard. 

The chap who came up with this idea had to get them approved by the "safety nazis" of Parks Canada before they would allow their use at re-enactments at their historical sites.  He convinced them by stretching out a big sheet of paper (newsprint, as it comes off the roll and sometimes get used for disposable table covering, or whatever) and then firing a series of such blanks at it from a distance of about 15 yards.  None of the coiled cardboard wads even reached that far or caused any damage to the paper at all!

However, don't use anything but wet/dampened soda-carton cardboard to make them - you certainly don't want to make them any more "durable" by mixing anything (white glue or whatever) with the water, or they might not disintegrate properly ....
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 01:39:49 PM »
R Jack,

These things look to be pretty solid/substantial.
That was the info I was looking for. Thanks!
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com