Author Topic: Colt Bankruptcy?  (Read 15794 times)

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Colt Bankruptcy?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 09:57:40 AM »
Hmmm..... Please hear this with good ears, but I wonder if COLT going bankrupt would
up the value of products associated with its name? I also know that there are different
kinds of bankruptcy and wonder what would happen if some Investment House decided
to takeover the whole enchilada simply because of the name recognition. As I understand
it that dynamic in the Financial community is what has kept MOTOROLA going for decades.
Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 11:28:28 AM »
Colt needs a VERY generous (and a bit stupid) White Knight or a major war to keep them afloat......The debt is simply too high and totally out of control....
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:09:04 AM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 12:06:37 PM »
In the military world, the Colt 'name' has close to zero value anymore.

It's not like Vietnam when they were the big producer - save for GM Hydromatic - and controlled the market every place the US military went, thanks to a well-oiled 'Good Ol' Boy' system of retired senior Officers with contacts everywhere and zero business sense.

Today, everybody and his brother can make the entire weapons system 'and' all the bells and whistles to add on to those Picatinny Rails - and Colt lost the last M4 Contract to FN.

That shows investors a couple of things - no loyalty from Uncle Sam, and too high a cost-per-unit.

It'll take a real whale to buy them, clean house, put them on a short leash and try to re-establish a market share that isn't so dependent on military sales, and it's 'probably' far too much work for anyone to take on today, since the money men of this generation aren't 'gun guys' - rooted in shooting and shooting sports and nostalgia - they're 'money guys' rooted in profit and loss - and Colt would be looked at as a losing proposition.

If you 'want' a new Colt - buy one now, and don't take the chance of special-ordering an as-yet un-built one.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 12:36:17 PM »
I was thinking that we could all chip in and buy Colt.  Then we could change the production to not make any guns designed after, say, 1915.  Maybe a "Go Fund Me" campaign would help.   (At least dreaming is free.)  ;)

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Poodleshooter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 01:12:30 AM »
I'd imagine that about all Colt has of value in a bankruptcy sale are its trademarks and intellectual property. I'd imagine most of the PP&E has been let go to pot, while the current owners have been busy looting the business for cash.

Maybe Beretta (via their subsidiary Uberti) can buy the rights to Colt's SAAs?
I really wouldn't mind that. The name and trademark would probably be in better hands with a family business that pretty much resurrected cowboy shooting,  than it would be in the hands of the recent Colt executives.

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 09:58:27 AM »
I'm lining up with St George. Sure, turn-arounds are tricky business and I am not ruling out
some Pacific RIm investors trying to step in and and buy them. I'm guessing that if that
happened there would be some kind of emotional response from the gun-owning population
and a domestic Investment Firm might take them on as a charity case. I'll say again that
turn-arounds are tricky and it would take someone with experience and good cleaning skills.
Just sayin....

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 10:46:08 AM »
Colt's name is MUDD in Osceola Co. Florida
With great fanfare, Gov. Rick Scott and Osceola County leaders in December 2011 trumpeted a deal that would bring gun maker Colt Manufacturing Co. to the county and create dozens of relatively high-paying jobs.
Now 2015 and the building which the county paid for,  and the State spent another  1/4 of a Million dollars to renovate sits empty.

The 16,000-square-foot building is just blocks from the U.S. Highway 192 exit off Florida's Turnpike, I pass it daily is a empty shell.
Colt was given incentive money,  tax breaks & a $1 a year rent for 10 years to bring 63 Jobs to the State....
Colt would be required to return any economic-incentive money if the promised jobs don't materialize.... they didn't and they haven't .
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 09:07:06 PM »
Major2, Colt did that purely as a bluff to scare the UAW in CT. I hope they go teats up and liquidate and down the road someone buys the trademark.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 10:20:57 PM »
Euro or Yen may well be the future of Colt ....

Read were Auto Giant FIAT is making a play for are you ready ?..... General Motors  yup ! GM
They own .... Chrysler, Dodge, Ram and SRT, Jeep, Lancia, Ferrari,Maserati, Alfa Romeo

Beretta with Colt's TM  ....  :-\   not to far fetched   ( Uberti & Colt have partnered before )

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 05:35:02 PM »
My understanding is no one wants a Beretta marked gun and from the comments on the jap made 73 a lot of US will not want Colt pistols to go out of the US.
If i had to have another Colt it would be a pre War one and not a modern copy. I have owned a few copies and have sold them.
Buffalochip

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 10:46:14 AM »
Major2, Colt did that purely as a bluff to scare the UAW in CT. I hope they go teats up and liquidate and down the road someone buys the trademark.

Seriously?  I mean....SERIOUSLY!?!

I would LOVE to know what gives these "Princes of Industry" the right to play
these S***** games with peoples lives. Its not like anything garnered from these games
is ever going to find its way into anything but the pockets of the gamesters. I
wouldn't scream so loud except that I see this all the time in the Healthcare industry.

My prayer is that God has reserved a special corner of Hell for such people. IMHO.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 01:04:44 PM »

Doubtful .... though the UAW should be shaken to their very roots ....

Colt .... was courted & offered, serious tax incentives in  a gun friendly .. "right to work state" , 
away from the Draconian Conn. laws , taxes  and it's closed shop legislation.
Promises were made , deals & contracts signed... Colt reneged  ...at least in the last 5 years it has....

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 01:33:22 PM »
Seriously?  I mean....SERIOUSLY!?!

I would LOVE to know what gives these "Princes of Industry" the right to play
these S***** games with peoples lives. Its not like anything garnered from these games
is ever going to find its way into anything but the pockets of the gamesters. I
wouldn't scream so loud except that I see this all the time in the Healthcare industry.

My prayer is that God has reserved a special corner of Hell for such people. IMHO.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

No one is OWED anything. That's Obama mentality. The people who put up the money take the risks.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 02:14:50 PM »
Investors usually get some kind of return on their investments.
If the Investors are not receiving this kind of retune for their investments... it is because those Managing the Company are taking their cut off the top and running. Leaving the Investors to bite the bullet.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 02:50:27 PM »
Colt Canada seems to be working ok.
You may find the investers have been takeing a return and not reinvesting it in new equipment. They must of made money with the contracts they had. I would guess when times were good the investeres took there cut.
The orther thing is the large salaries they pay tbe top management.
Buffalochip

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 08:36:08 PM »
I don't know about "Obama" anything.

What I DO know is that if I invest in something I expect to get a "piece of the action"
for letting people use my capital. If you don't see that as being "owed" something, I
suspect that explains a lot about why the rich continue to get richer and the poor get poorer.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 06:20:46 AM »
How could they not be bankrupt?  Every product they are famous for is being reproduced elsewhere better and cheaper.  They have not had an original idea in some time.

Too bad tho, too bad.

Mean Bob
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 09:06:18 AM »
How could they not be bankrupt?  Every product they are famous for is being reproduced elsewhere better and cheaper.  They have not had an original idea in some time.

Too bad tho, too bad.

Mean Bob

Absolutely....nothing but bad management. A fundamental rule of business is that you always keep
the R&D pipeline full. There is very little difference between resting on yer laurels and
laying down dead. Just sayin....

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com