Author Topic: Powder-coated lead bullets  (Read 2777 times)

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Powder-coated lead bullets
« on: June 01, 2015, 07:44:54 PM »
Has anyone used them and if so, what are the pros and cons?

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Powder-coated lead bullets
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 03:44:00 PM »
If it is what I have seen before, the bullets are tumbled after lubing with mica dust.   

I don't know if it makes a hell of a lot of difference or not... I never did a scientific study. I has used the stuff myself after lubing cast bullets with LEE tumble lube because it makes the bullets less sticky.

You can buy the stuff at Ballistic Product Inc or Corbin Inc  if you want and coat bullets yourself, but if I was starting out in reloading it wouldn't be something I would put very high up on my priority list.

Rick

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 04:42:28 PM »
http://missouribullet.com/results.php?category=20

Are you looking at something like these? I just got a batch of their .452, 200 grain coated bullets. Haven't tried them yet.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:52:33 AM »

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 05:46:25 PM »
What I think he's talking about is more like a baked on paint type stuff. They don't need any lube that way, may be other advantages but I don't know what they might be. At CAS velocities, it's probably not really needed.

Offline Poodleshooter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 10:41:13 PM »
It's baked on polyester based coating. It's tough as nails (you literally can smash a bullet flat and the coating still adheres), eliminates leading and makes the underlying alloy's hardness relatively un-important (you can use soft muzzleloader lead-when coated- at 1500fps with no problems). It's also very slick and feeds well. For my purposes, I've eliminated my use of soft lubes as the powder coat is far superior for cleanup.

One disadvantage is that it does not properly soften and clear fouling during black powder use. So if you want to stick with the holy black, avoid powder coated bullets.

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 06:55:49 AM »
It's baked on polyester based coating. It's tough as nails (you literally can smash a bullet flat and the coating still adheres), eliminates leading and makes the underlying alloy's hardness relatively un-important (you can use soft muzzleloader lead-when coated- at 1500fps with no problems). It's also very slick and feeds well. For my purposes, I've eliminated my use of soft lubes as the powder coat is far superior for cleanup.

One disadvantage is that it does not properly soften and clear fouling during black powder use. So if you want to stick with the holy black, avoid powder coated bullets.

Shoot, I was afraid of that last bit. Guess I'll need to make use of a grease cookie for my .45-70 rounds then.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 07:13:28 AM »

That's what I read on their website Poodleshooter.  It's nice to hear from someone confirm it.  Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com