Author Topic: Best Primers???  (Read 11817 times)

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Best Primers???
« on: May 30, 2015, 11:15:26 AM »
My pistols are all Uberti's in .45 Colt.  Two of them are El Patrons and one is an 1875 Rem. Army Outlaw.  My research is turning up a big debate going back and forth between Federal and Winchester.  What are you all using?

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Best Primers???
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 12:41:07 PM »
Considering how hard some reloading components have been to get over the last 4 or 5 years, this is my suggestion.
The best primers are the ones you have available to you for that size cartridge case.
Various brands may not always be available.
When you find the ones you prefer/like... buy them by the 1000 count at a minimum.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 03:00:36 PM »
From what I've read, some are saying that the replicas, because of a lighter mainspring than, say a Ruger for example, won't fire with harder primers like Winchester or CCI and I've also read people who say that the Federals are softer but too soft.  Since I have to buy primers by the thousands, I'd like to know what's going to work best for my guns.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:13:52 PM »

Offline Litl Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 03:13:57 PM »
Some members have probably already mentioned that reloading isn't anywhere simple enough that there will ever be answers to questions like what's the best anything.   If you've stumbled onto primer discussions in SASS forums, the "discussion" there is biased strongly by a population that happens to be almost universally lightening hammer springs.   And they're almost totally separated from accuracy requirements.  So the best primer is the one that takes the least amount of impact to set off.  Which also happens to be the reason that brand is also the one packaged in big, roomy boxes, so they're less apt to be detonated in shipping and why Lee Inc. has warnings not to use them.    

Any of this have to do with which is best?   Yeah, it's an example of why this reloading stuff isn't sound byte simple.  Dang near every detail in reloading needs a paragraph just to narrow down the real question being asked.  

There really aren't any magic primers.   They all work well enough for large enough groups of buyers to make it profitable for Winchester, Federal, CCI, Remington, and a few more to manufacture in huge amounts.  

Did you notice in your research any mention of accuracy?   Go to another special interest forum and you just might.  Different disciplines have different magical properties they're seeking.   And just about every interest buys them all.    

Offline Litl Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 03:22:02 PM »
From what I've read, some are saying that the replicas, because of a lighter mainspring than, say a Ruger for example, won't fire with harder primers like Winchester or CCI and I've also read people who say that the Federals are softer but too soft.  Since I have to buy primers by the thousands, I'd like to know what's going to work best for my guns.

Read up on the threads about what's the best weight hammer springs and mix that in with the primer hardness noise. 

One thing that isn't usually obvious is how many things are behind the "one" topic you're interested in discovering the magic solution to.

BTW, until you've actually experienced a number of cowboy matches, you really shouldn't fall for the suggestions that you need to blow money on slicked up guns.     

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 04:03:18 PM »
Thanks Litl Red.  I'm not searching for the perfect round.  I'm looking for a starting point.

Offline Litl Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 04:50:51 PM »
Thanks Litl Red.  I'm not searching for the perfect round.  I'm looking for a starting point.

Actually, it sounded like you were hoping to avoid buying any that had problems and possibly discovering a best buy.

And it was an opportunity to give some insight into the game that's attracting you.    Any of the name brand primers are going to work and do no less than any others.  The only real reason for any brand is the help Federals give to guns that've had their hammer springs lightened too much.   And it'd be sensible to hold off paying for work like that for awhile.   

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 05:25:10 PM »
A perfectly reasonable question that you'll probably have to determine the answer to on your own.  i.e. What works for you is the right answer.  My experience with primers is as follows:

Hardness:  CCI > Remington > Winchester > Federal

Quality Control:  CCI > Federal > Remington > Winchester

Ease of use on Auto-Indexing press:  CCI > Remington > Federal > Winchester

So, If I didn't have race-gunz, I'd use CCI.  But, because I do, I use Federal.  If I couldn't find Federal, I'd use Remington in a pinch.  I only use CCI in factory tuned gunz.  I will not use Winchester in a match under any circumstances.

As I said, your milage may vary.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 05:33:19 PM »
My Dear Half-Hitch

I understand your excitement and interest, but in your ferver you are falling into the classic newby trap. Searches of these forums
and a few others will provide answers to many of your questions, all of which have been asked repeatedly before by
every other reloading newby. We are here to help, but we cannot hold your hand every step of the way.
Please understand that it is not my intention ( or the forum's) to rain on your parade, or disuade you from
asking questions - EXCEPT that each and every question you have been asking have been already answered .

As previously advised, Before you buy anything, Go to your LGS,  bookstore , or online and get this book and possibly one or two other books.:

http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Modern-Reloading-Edition-Format/dp/B000N8OKAU

read and study pages 1-152 because the chapters therein cover each and every topic you have been asking about.

Since Richard Lee is the principal of Lee Loading Inc, his opinions are naturally biased toward his products.
chapters 1-4 cover his loading tools, choosing loading tools, choosing primers, brass, bullets, and powders, etc
sizing , trimming, expanding, charging, crimping, etc etc

chapters 5-11 cover somewhat more advanced topics including presssure discussions and casting.

pages 152 thru 610  are loading recipes.
These cover starting loads, minimum loads , the so-called "maximum loads" , with some discussions of pressures and velocities
found in the firearms they used for testing.

I hope you understand, there is a great deal of difference between newby questions and discussion:
ie:
      " I have an XX pistol, what is the best brand of brass/primer/etc for me to get"
This question cannot been answered, and indicates the asker has put no thought into the matter

vs
      " I have been using winchester brass and find it doesn't last for many reloads, is Remington brass better or is it my methods?"
This question shows the asker has put effort into the matter and has bumped up against an obstacle.

for example, from one of your recent posts:
"Now I need to get online and order powder and bullets as well as some casings.  Who's the cheapest?  What bullets?  What powder?  What casings?  Who do most of you use for your supplies?  Online?  Local gun shop?"

Virtually all modern brass, powder, primers, and bullets are good.
People used to have favorites , now it is literally a matter of "what is available?" and then reference the load books for
making use of what you can get.

If you are unable to absorb the knowledge via the reading material and require a "hands-on" tutor you would be best served
to locate such a person in your immediate vicinity, since such tutalage is really not available over the web unless you
can arrange a live webcam interchange with such an instructor.

I cannot stress enough the need to learn from the books. They are the go-to resources .

The Web is full of misinformation, idiots making u-toobs, and casual nonsense such as
         "aw you can get away with that jest fine"
and
         "I've been using this overpressure load for years and it ain't hurt me"

We do not want you blowing yourself or your firelocks up.

hope this helps
yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline mehavey

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 06:09:43 PM »
I use CCIs in gas guns and strong firing pin/spring bolt actions.

But long ago I learned the hard way the Federals were best for slicked-up
revolvers, lever-actions and actual BP cartridge (both pistol & rifle) guns

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 09:42:48 PM »
I think all of you are right.  I'll do a little more research and try to ask the right questions because I think that's really my problem.  Not asking the right questions due to a lack over overall knowledge. 

I do appreciate all of the input.   ;)

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 10:41:31 PM »
I think all of you are right.  I'll do a little more research and try to ask the right questions because I think that's really my problem.  Not asking the right questions due to a lack over overall knowledge. 

I do appreciate all of the input.   ;)

My Dear Half Hitch -
Not to worry - your only "problem" is that you are new to loading, and excited and enthusiastic and need somewhere to chat about it  :-)

That's ok, because we all started in the same place.

Many of us, myself included, stress The Books because there is so much to absorb, and one can keep going back to the reference manual. I myself started out with the original ancient Lyman book in 1972, then sprung for the Sierra and Hornady books, and just recently got a fresh copy of Lee's "modern reloading" . Powders & etc do change and new load data is useful, as well as reading about advances in pressure instruments, prssure curves, & etc. 

Once you do get all the goodies, you will need to decide on your "first load" , which BTW I would recommend a standard middle load - not too low and not too hot - for sake of argument let's say 5.0 gr of Unique in a .38 spcl under a 158 gr lead semi-wadcutter.

Do not get enthusiastic and load up hundreds of cartridges with this all at once. Load a few, perhaps 2 or 3 dozen, and take them out to shoot from off a bench and see how it works for you first.  Just some advice from someone who has screwed up in the past :-)

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 08:02:06 AM »
My Dear Half Hitch -
Not to worry - your only "problem" is that you are new to loading, and excited and enthusiastic and need somewhere to chat about it  :-)

That's ok, because we all started in the same place.

Many of us, myself included, stress The Books because there is so much to absorb, and one can keep going back to the reference manual. I myself started out with the original ancient Lyman book in 1972, then sprung for the Sierra and Hornady books, and just recently got a fresh copy of Lee's "modern reloading" . Powders & etc do change and new load data is useful, as well as reading about advances in pressure instruments, prssure curves, & etc. 

Once you do get all the goodies, you will need to decide on your "first load" , which BTW I would recommend a standard middle load - not too low and not too hot - for sake of argument let's say 5.0 gr of Unique in a .38 spcl under a 158 gr lead semi-wadcutter.

Do not get enthusiastic and load up hundreds of cartridges with this all at once. Load a few, perhaps 2 or 3 dozen, and take them out to shoot from off a bench and see how it works for you first.  Just some advice from someone who has screwed up in the past :-)

yhs
prof marvel

This all makes sense, Professor.  Especially the "chat about it" thing.   ;)

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 09:08:41 AM »
If your guns are stock they should fire any brand just fine. Personally I use different brands for different loadings for centerfire rifles and such according to what the recipe says but I always use Winchester and Federal in the ammo we shoot in our cowboy guns.

I use Winchester in the smokeless rounds for my wife and I use Federal in my black powder rounds. Why???? because the different color of the primer I can instantly look at the round and know if it's black powder or smokeless.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 09:17:23 AM »
If your guns are stock they should fire any brand just fine.

What about my pair of El Patrons?  Would they be considered stock?

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 09:45:45 AM »
What about my pair of El Patrons?  Would they be considered stock?

I don't know but I think they use Wolff springs which should be fine for any primer that is seated properly. 

A gun that will only fire Federals is getting almost too light of springs and to the point I would consider it unreliable. Even though I use a lot of Federal primers I still test any of my guns with the other primers after I do any action work or changing springs. I generally use the Federal primers in my black powder loads just in case I do have a gun get gummed up or running sluggish late in a day of shooting.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2015, 10:53:57 AM »
They do use Wolfe springs. 

1961MJS

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 08:50:15 PM »
Hi

Interesting, I've been using Winchester Large Pistol for 12 years in .45 ACP with Bullseye and have had no problems.  I also use Winchester Large Rifle in my rifles.  I have a few WSP lined up to use with .38 Specials.  I've used both CCI and Federals, but have been "loyal" to Winchester.  I guess if it ain't broke I won't fix it. 

If memory serves, Lee used to say you shouldn't use Federals in the hand primers.  One would assume that they go off too easily.  Since I use Lee Hand priming tools, I've never been a Federal primer buyer. 

Just my $0.02 worth every penny.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 09:37:18 AM »
As has been mentioned time and again, in this day and age use what you can find. While some of us that have been reloading for a couple lustrums or more have developed personal preference for brands, it doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things.
 I like CCI, Winchester, and Remington primers the best, use some federal's in limited application.
 Quite frankly if a gun won't set of one brand or other of primer, that gun is broken, and needs the attention of a real live gunsmith ( not to be confused with a gun parts changer)
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 01:16:17 PM »
I don't do benchrest shooting or extreme long range, so my basic requirement is that it makes the gun go bang. All of them I have tried will do this. I do try to avoid Federals because of the giant size packaging, they don't fit well in an ammo can.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com