Author Topic: MY UBERTI MODEL P'S ALL SHOOT TOO LOW ANY ADVICE?  (Read 3500 times)

Offline Wolf Killer

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
MY UBERTI MODEL P'S ALL SHOOT TOO LOW ANY ADVICE?
« on: May 27, 2015, 10:21:09 PM »
Hello lads,
Well I have tried many loads and have shot hundreds and hundreds of rounds through all of my Uberti model P black powder frame revolvers, and can not hit point of aim. they all shoot way too low, all using two different loads, The laser cast 250 grain and the lyman 452664 250 grain with 8 grains unique, my go to load, and The 4 3/4 shoots a full six inches low, the 5.5" shoots 4.5" low and the 7" barrel shoots 2" low at 50 feet from a rest and using a 6 O'clock hold to the bull.
Oddly all three have the same front sight on them. I have tried 200 grain bullets, to no avail, oddly I see almost no difference in the drop.

I have tried to work around by trying to shoot to center point, but this is not going to work on 8" steel plates as I will shoot under them, and I just can't raise the front sight up to the same position in the notch to be consistent.

I hate to start laying a file on the front sight, but looks as if I need to.
Any suggestions as to where to start in reducing the height? as I don't want to haul my big bench vise to the range and file a pinch at a time.

Thanks Gents,

Donald Bowman

Offline Hambone Dave

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: MY UBERTI MODEL P'S ALL SHOOT TOO LOW ANY ADVICE?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 09:59:44 AM »
DISCLAIMER --- USE AT YOUR OWN RISK ---- AIN"T MY FAULT

Here is a formula to calc front sight height based on distance from center on target

Front Sight Adjustment:
(Sight radius in inches * inches high/low) / Inches to target = Sight height adjustment

Example:
2 inches low
50 feet = 600 inches
Sight radius = 9 inches?
9 times 2 = 18 divided by 600 = .03" needs to be taken off the front sight height

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 12:24:48 PM »
Your choice of 200 gr bullets should have printed lower that the 250's. Generally speaking using the same powder charge heavier bullets print higher than lighter bullets. At this point I would carry my cordless Dremel tool to the range and spend the afternoon slowly taking down the front sight height. This will raise your point of target impact. Be happy your front sight isn't too low as you would be shooting over the targets. Go slow take a little at a time. Pick up a roll of blue painters tape to protect the area around the front sight in case the grinding wheel skips off so it doesn't nick the barrel. If it ever stops raining here in north Texas I hope to sight tune my new 38-40 P model for my favorite BP loads.
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:54:22 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 02:59:38 PM »
There are several mathematical formula to determine how much to reduce your front sight by.  Good Luck.

The only reliable method I've ever found for adjusting the front sight for POI/POA was to take a leather pad, some blue tape or masking tape and a nice sharp NEW file to the range with my chosen load.  Use a thick tape pad on the end of the barrel.  Take the sign down a little at a time and then take it home to re-contour it and make it smooth and pretty.

Coffinmaker

Offline griswold

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 07:11:09 PM »
I did what coffinmaker said above years ago with my old EMF 44-40 plus had the barrel tweaked by the local range based gunsmith to the left  about 1/64th inch. All this brought the little Italian Stallion on target at 50 feet with full loads of BP or 9 grains of Unique holding at 6 oclock.
I learned the Ol West method of shooting with that little cannon also.......slightly bent elbow and limp wrist absorbs a lot of recoil without rocking me back on my heels.
Griswold,
The Griswold was favored by my Great Grand Pa James Henry Story who rode with the 7th Georgia Cavalry.

Offline Wolf Killer

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 09:22:31 PM »
Thanks Everyone,
it looks like a file and a lot of patience.
According to the sight calculator at Brownells, I need to shave off .038 inches.
Setting my caliper to that width, it sure doesn't look like much, but Physics be a hard bitch when it comes to minutes of angles.
It don't look like much at the front sight, but I can't imagine the rise it would make at a 1000 yards, as the calculator says to adjust a mere .007 for a 100 yards zero

Thanks,
Wolf Killer

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 10:00:20 PM »
Do it at the range; - SLOWLY, and test frequently. I also finish off by filing a 45 degree angle at the top rear of the lowered blade. To catch the sun! The bottom of the angled part can also help you to hit a long-gong, with a bit of practice.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com