Author Topic: First Issue of Guns of the West  (Read 4601 times)

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
First Issue of Guns of the West
« on: May 27, 2015, 08:05:24 AM »
It came in the mail yesterday, along with my NRA magazine, American Rifleman, and if I hold both magazines together, they almost equal one normal sized magazine.  I've grown to accept that with AR but not for a magazine that's a quarterly publication and only has 82 pages, five of those pages dedicated to a Colt Peacemaker replica BB-gun.  That's a pamphlet or brochure!  I don't know.  Maybe it's been too long since I picked up a magazine.  Are they all this small anymore?  I used to read all of the hunting magazines and they were packed full of info (and pages) and were monthly publications.

I don't like to sound all negative and everything but I'm pretty disappointed.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: First Issue of Guns of the West
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 09:49:07 AM »
This just hasn't been your week has it?  ;D

BTW that BB gun is actually pretty neat.  I bought one for backyard plinking.  It has the look and feel of a real SSA and has the COLT name on it. 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 10:26:15 AM »
I quit reading magazines years ago, kinda like the history channel, mostly BS 101.  (never capitalize history channel)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:00:29 AM »

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 11:34:06 AM »
kinda like the history channel, mostly BS 101.  (never capitalize history channel)
Maybe one day there will be a "pawn shop channel", and it will air historically correct documentaries...
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 11:38:30 AM »
Maybe one day there will be a "pawn shop channel", and it will air historically correct documentaries...

Most of their real history stuff they have is very lacking.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 12:13:29 PM »
This just hasn't been your week has it?  ;D

BTW that BB gun is actually pretty neat.  I bought one for backyard plinking.  It has the look and feel of a real SSA and has the COLT name on it. 

My local gun shop had a customer appreciation day a few weeks ago and there was a vendor there with this bb-gun.  It was cool as far as bb-guns go but not what I would expect to see in a publication on guns of the old west.  If they're going to give this gun coverage then I want to see a 5 page spread, complete with centerfold, on the Mattel Fanner '50.   :D

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 12:15:53 PM »
I quit reading magazines years ago, kinda like the history channel, mostly BS 101.  (never capitalize history channel)

That's probably why I was surprised.  I rarely buy magazines anymore because there's so much information on the web.  My NRA rag is the only thing I subscribe to and I rarely read it.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 01:33:20 PM »
to paraphrase the old Hee Haa song

" Gloom despair and agony  on me , deep dark depression excessive memory , If it weren't for the history channel ..
most would have no history at-tall ,  Gloom despair and agony  on me .....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 09:44:42 PM »
 Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha.etc.,etc., Good one ,Major 2. ( I love this place).

Hootmix.

Offline buttebob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 09:52:11 AM »
I remember back about 1969-70, when I was into 10 speed road bikes, I bought "Bicycling" magazine. It had something like 24 pages in black and white, no color pictures. A lot different from today.
I buy "Guns of the Old West" about twice a year. It usually has some good articles, but the last issue was pretty lame.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »
It has become Dennis Adler's personal essay ....he is a photojournalist , not particular good author.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 01:55:29 PM »
I'm finding that the magazines DO have some good things in them but its usually
not worth the money to actually buy them. One exception I have found is that
MUZZLELOADER mag that I subscribe to. This last issue had all kinds of flintlock
eye-candy and I pick it up over and over again just to drool. BTW: the writing
is a bit checkered but overall isn't too bad. I've been thinking about putting together
an article on frontier life since I have read quite a few letters to the Editors asking
for more on the early 1800-s Frontier to match all of the emphasis that has been on
Revolutionary and Pre-revolutionary life. This last issue had quite an article in the Fur Trade.

Can I add one other thing?  Theres a thought we all need to start warming-up to
and I have alluded to this a couple of times. If we want to see a particular mindset
and lifestyle documented and preserved its going to be up to folks like us to do it.
From what I can tell, there isn't some clandestine work-group on the other side of
the hill doing the heavy lifting for us. IMHO.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 04:20:44 PM »
Its the best mag out there imo and i'm sticking with it. I would like to see some things done different though. I'm sure they've reviewed every replica offered at least 10 times already, so would like to see them do more articles on original guns. They did this on the trapdoor 66   and evans rifle recently, thumbs up! Lately they seem to be including more cutlery into the magazine which is great but they make some pretty sad recommendations. Again i wish they'd just cover original blades of the era and their fascinating history. I'd also like to see a reloading column in every issue dedicated to one period cartridge. Even if it is obsolete it would be nice to get some thoughts and dimensions on them. The recent clothing pieces they've been doing are excellent, another thumbs up! Finally i wish they'd hire Mike Venturino who imo is one of the best at coming up with creative ORIGINAL articles. He's not only an authority on guns of the old west but has done more interesting off the wall articles than I can count. His writing reflect personal and original ideas you just cant fake. He'd surely be an excellent addition to the staff!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com