Author Topic: Great Western Arms Bolt  (Read 2223 times)

Offline sidewinder

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Great Western Arms Bolt
« on: May 23, 2015, 11:14:06 AM »
  I was down visiting some family after my great grandmother passed this week, and my uncle asked me to take a look at his .22 revolver and give it a little tuneup.  The cylinder was locked up; couldn't pull the hammer back very far.  Got home and took it down last night and found one of the arms on the bolt had snapped at the screw hole.

Until last night when I did a brief search on my phone, I didn't know anything about Great Western Arms - pretty damn interesting.

Anywho, for shiggles, I pulled out one of my Uberti '51s to get a side x side comparison of the bolts.  To be honest, they look identical to me.  If I had the inclination, it seemed I could do some filing and fit it to that revolver.

I thought a SAA bolt would be an easy item to get ahold of.  Browsing around for parts this morning has proven otherwise, unless I throw down $65-75.  Since it's family I had planned on paying for it out of my pocket, but I won't be able to do that if that's the bill for just one part.

So, back to the Uberti bolt - am I missing something that would keep me from ordering one of those and having it work properly?  Because they're significantly cheaper, and as I said, they look identical to my eye.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Great Western Arms Bolt
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 11:23:10 AM »
All of these guns are copies of the Colt mechanism so they should all appear similar.  A lot of the internals will interchange with a little fitting.  Go for it.

Offline sidewinder

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 02:11:18 PM »
Thank you very much; the 'Generation' labels I kept running across for the same, identical part were giving me a bit of self doubt.

Uncle said it was a sweet shooting .22.  I'll have to let him know to keep me in mind if he ever decides he wants to get rid of it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:02:30 PM »

Offline sack peterson

• Very Active Citizen
    • Stag Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 07:53:14 PM »
This is my site for Great Westerns, hope you read and found some interesting:

http://greatwesternarmsco.com/

You can get the current Uberti Cattleman cylinder bolt to fit.  It’s still less than $25 at Brownells.  Big thing is, width of the bolt head will have to be narrowed to fit the bolt window.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com