Author Topic: NAVY ARMS 1875 REMINGTON  (Read 14299 times)

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
NAVY ARMS 1875 REMINGTON
« on: May 14, 2015, 09:45:36 AM »
I had a NA '75 in the shop the other day, to correct a timing issue.  After the repair, I tested it at the range, and found it to be quite accurate with my favourite 45 Colt load.  Does anyone else have any experience with one of these, and have an opinion on their worth?

Offline carbineone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NAVY ARMS 1875 REMINGTON
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 07:31:04 AM »
I have one of the these 1875 Ubertis, but mine is in 44-40...I paid 350.00 for it a month ago.. I bought mine in a auction setting, so maybe mine was a little high. But I thought it was a fair price..They sell for around 550.00 new currently..

Mine was imported by EMF instead of Navy.  The Navy imported ones may be a little older than my EMF. My EMF was likely made in the early 80s.

I have a couple threads on mine a few posts down. I do not know if the Navy imported ones are any more valuable than the EMF ones. I doubt it.  The .45 may be a little more desirable caliber to some. I like the 44-40 personally over he .45. Of course both Models are made by Uberti.

But I would say if it is a good as condition as mine. Around 350.00
Mine shoots and works great. Seems to be a quality Firearm for a Import...

Did the Navy one have the updated Colt style pin release or the or the original style out on the end of the sail?  If it does not have the Colt style updated one it would likely bring a premium over mine to some..

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 10:22:36 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  The release on this one, and on my Uberti, is the same.  It is a spring loaded cross pin where the right side screws into the left side.  On my Uberti it functions flawlessly, but on the Navy Arms, the pin has the tendency to pop out during shooting...pita!

Are you saying the Navy Arms revolver was made by Uberti?  Upon close examination, there is very little difference between my Uberti and this NA revolver, and all of the little details are the same.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:46:25 PM »

Offline carbineone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 06:50:13 AM »
Yes as far as I know the Uberti are the only foreign maker that has made the 1875. I believe The Hartford Armory made some copys here, but they are rare and extremely priced. Now I could be wrong and if I am someone correct me. But all imports of the 1875 were made by Uberti from my research..

I thought maybe the Navy one you had used the same system as the originals did. Sounds like it has the Colt style though. I would assume the early ones made like the original would maybe bring a premium if it was that type.

I think Uberti only made them with the original cylinder pin release out on the end of the sail under the barrel for a short time early on, before they went to the more dependable Colt cross system in the frame.

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 07:28:30 AM »
I have heard from time to time that their was another Italian maker of the '75, but have not ever seen one. If there was I'd post a pic just for comparison. As to the original spring type retainer versus the Colt style cross pin, I believe you'll find that all the original style were marketed by Replica Arms before they were bought by Navy. Not sure how many were actually made, may have been less than three hundred, because of the four I have knowledge of are all in the low two hundred range. Conversely, I've seen a Navy Arms one that had the Colt style with serial number 110. Don't know if each importer got their own serial number set starting at 1 or what back then.

Offline carbineone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 04:41:04 PM »
I have never seen one made by another Italian Maker. Ubertis serial numbers just seem to be random at best.

Kinda wish I knew when mine was made. But I do not even think EMF is around anymore. Or they have no info on them.

Cannot remember which anymore.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 05:26:13 PM »
Uh, boy's? Where are the pictures??
King Medallion

Offline carbineone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 06:14:35 AM »
Heres one of mine, there are more in my other threads.

Still trying to find a steel trigger guard for mine. Would keep the brass one with it as the numbers match, but do not like the brass..

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 08:28:58 PM »
I have two '75 Remingtons, both in .45 Colt, one a Taylor's & Co., the other a Cimarron. They're excellent. Handle well, shoot well, reliable. I can't say enough good things about the '75 Remingtons.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 09:44:49 PM »
There was a US manufacturer in Connecticut that produced an 1875 some 15 years ago. Workmanship was very good, and as to be expected, a $1,000.00+ back then. I got to handle one and was impressed.

Not sure where they ended up on the run, but I'm sure they're scarce and very expensive today if one came on the market.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 04:15:48 PM »
RCJ, that was Hartford Armory, even offered the old '75 in 44 mag if I remember right. Got to handle a couple of them myself at Guns of August many years ago and they did use the original style spring to hold the cylinder pin. Holding one up side by side with my old Replica Arms and you'd have thought they were the same maker, they were that close. I suspect the HA was much finer made and of better materials if the 44 mag claim was good, tho.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 08:47:56 AM »
...Holding one up side by side with my old Replica Arms and you'd have thought they were the same maker, they were that close...

I've kept my eyes open for one of the early Uberti ones with the correct cylinder release, but they are rarer than rocking horse turds.  :'(  If anyone knows of one for sale PM me.

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 09:21:57 AM »
rarer than rocking horse turds.    If anyone knows of one for sale PM me.

I'll keep an eye out for rocking horse turds for sale...
 ;D
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 02:41:34 PM »
Fox Creek, GOOD LUCK. I mean it, too. I've been looking for a second one to pair up with my 45 Colt, and folks who have them just don't seem to want to let loose of 'em. Pard told me he saw one in .357 at one gun show with a chopped barrel but passed on it. I ran over to where he said he'd seen it and never could find it. That's been the only one I've even heard of locally in forever, and you've seen how many turn up on the auction sites. Good luck with you're search, if'n I stumble on a nest of them I'll let you know.

Just found this one, look like we both missed out on this find.
http://www.cowanauctions.com/auctions/item.aspx?id=156971

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 09:17:11 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com