Author Topic: Smith & Wesson 38 Double Action Perfected Model revolver.  (Read 2763 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
 My friend Dakota Ike sent this , GB find ... unusual
Smith & Wesson 38 Double Action Perfected Model revolver.. Scarce 5" barrel , five shot, 38S&W revolver. Similar to the 38 DA Top Break, the Perfected Model incorporated both the top release and side release for the cylinder to open.

I had never seen one of these  :-\

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Litl Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Smith & Wesson 38 Double Action Perfected Model revolver.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 01:37:47 PM »
Yup, you gotta move both latches for it to break open. 

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Smith & Wesson 38 Double Action Perfected Model revolver.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 02:20:23 PM »
Howdy

The Perfected Model was the last Top Break S&W revolver to be introduced. Made from 1909 until 1920, 59,400 were made. A very few did not have the thumb piece cylinder release, the great majority of them had both the thumb piece latch and the Top Break latch. I have read that the reason for the double latch system was because a bad guy could reach over and disarm a traditional Top Break by lifting the latch. Personally, I think that is a lot of hooey.

The Perfected Model was the only Top Break revolver that S&W made with the trigger guard integral with the frame. In fact, the frame profile pretty well mimics the 38 Military and Police revolvers that were first made in 1899. The Perfected Model was the only Top Break S&W revolver to have the side plate on the right side of the frame, just like a modern M&P. I have never figured out why Smith made these, the normal Top Break system worked fine for many years. The Perfected Model is awkward to operate, having to manipulate both latches at once.

SCSW says barrel lengths were 3 1/4", 4", 5", or 6". Slight premium for the 5" barrel.

That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Advertising

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com