Author Topic: Mississippi Marine Brigade - Info ?  (Read 17356 times)

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Mississippi Marine Brigade - Info ?
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2006, 09:44:21 AM »
Gabe,

Scout is considering some reorganizations within GAF.  He should be at the Convention.  May be good to have a GAF Meeting...
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2006, 10:54:02 AM »
Matt - 

A good idea.  I think we'll have a pretty fair representation of the GAF at the NCOWS Convention.

US Scout
GAF Chief of Staff

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2006, 10:57:22 AM »
Guns and RCJ-

That particular badge (fouled anchor and cannon) is the IX Corps badge.  I considered using it for my MMB uniform but decided that anyone who knew the difference might call me on it, so opted on the crossed anchors with "M" in the intersection. 

Guns - if you're at the Convention, I'll bring the cap for you to look at.

RCJ - I have one that I don't need.  I'll bring it to the Convention and maybe we can work a deal if you want it.

US Scout
Bvt Col of Marines

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:57:57 AM »

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2006, 05:54:10 PM »
RCJ,
The "Rhode Island" cap badge I got from S & S is very impressive, considering the low cost.  It is embroidered with heavy metallic thread, possibly even fine wire, very similar to th type of embroidery I've seen on old Navy CPO and Officer's insignia  It is a vertical anchor, fouled with a rope, similar to the current CPO cap badge, only without the silver "USN".  The badge I have is embroidered on very dark navy blue, possibly black, cloth.  It is darker than the Union blue wool uniform material.  The crossed cannon badge is stamped brass, but the metal surface is fretted to appear like metallic embroidery.  The cannons are bright brass, and the embroidery on the anchor has a darker, tarnished appearance, so I will have to doctor the brass to get both to equal "saltiness".  I received the badges and hat yesterday, but have not got around to putting things together yet.  I'm unsure about the hat - it is a 1902 Dress cap, sometimes referred to as a "bell crown"(tho not quite so much as the old 1830's syle shakos).  It has a wire stiffener in the top of the crown and a grommet in the front, (for an emblem) and two on each side as ventilators.  The cap is covered in a dark blue material, what appears to be a synthetic knit.(!)  It has a curved patent-leather brim, with a bound edge.  The only descriptions I've found for the MMB cap is "...caps with full round tops, with straight visors..."  I might be able to make it work.  I have yet to investigate its construction, so I may be able to replace the visor with one from one of several kepis I have around.  I'll keep everyone posted!
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2006, 09:36:43 AM »
RCJ-

I wouldn't mind a visit to the Crook house if time can be found.  The General has always been a favorite of mine.

Last time I was at Arlington I came across his gravesite.  I added him to my list of graves that I put flowers on each Memorial Day.

US Scout
Bvt Col of Marines

Offline Cannon Fodder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2006, 09:04:13 PM »
Gentlemen,I just got computer for Christmas and cant type. However I have been fascinated  by all your  comments on the Mississippi Marine Brigade. I am a Sass shooter- 21734- cannon fodder-mulecamp cowboys. and GAF 281 (not very active),NRA and others. Iam also a war between the states  (you cant say civil war in atlanta!) reenactor with emphasis on artillery and dismounted cavalry.At my age (65) I am heading more towards  historian and less reenactor. For those not familiar  with the  Civil War Naval  Museum  in  Columbus Ga(use "port columbus" to find web site) ,it  is a beautiful  facility .They are having  an "army encampment" Aopril 1-3. Would anybody  be interested  in showing up as a  "Mississippi  Marine Brigade " group?  Maybe even under GAF/NCOWS? The  infantry museum at Ft Benning  is also well  worth seeing if you want to kill a weekend  in Columbus Ga,best Cannon Fodder

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2006, 02:46:42 PM »
Cannon Fodder-

Glad you could join us.

I've visited with the Port Columbus Naval Museum website and even bought some stuff from their ship's store.   In my conversations over the phone with them they seem pretty nice people.

I'd love to get down there but doubt it'll be as soon as April.  I'll just be  returning from a business trip to Europe the weekend before.  I doubt the wife would enjoy my further absence after being gone 4 out of the previous 6 weeks.  I'm just hoping I can visit the Monitor weekend in Newport News, VA in mid-March as it is.

However, I like you suggestion and perhaps that is something we can begin planning on for next year.  I am encouraging all the various departments to put on at least one activity each year to promote the GAF.  This can be a social (dance, party, etc), a living history program, a Muster-type shoot, or anything else the imagination can come up with that will put us in a positive light before the public.  We are not only shooters, but reenactors, historians, and enthusiasts in the Victorian-era military and should exercise all our interests in the promotion of the GAF. 

US Scout
GAF Chief of Staff

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com