Author Topic: Mississippi Marine Brigade - Info ?  (Read 17312 times)

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Mississippi Marine Brigade - Info ?
« on: November 06, 2005, 06:40:34 PM »
In gearing up for next year's Muster, I have, as usual, decided to attempt to portray a rather obscure Army unit, Ellet's Mississippi Marine Brigade (MMB).  I can find some info on their exploits, organization, history, etc., but little of how they were equipped or armed. 

I did find one thumb-nail sized print, and a photo of an "action figure" (a la Lone Gunman).  As they were a U.S. Volunteers Army unit comprised of a regiment of Infantry, three Squadrons of Cavalry, and one light artillery battery, I would assume they would have been dressed in standard U.S. Army uniforms.  I recall many years ago reading one reference (forget what it was) describing their hats as having a green band edged with gold.  The print I've seen, as well as the "action figure" appear to show either a Navy (officer's or pilot's) cap, or "wheel hat" ("dragoon" cap) with this band.  There is not enough detail to determine what, if any, type of badge or cap device is attached.  There does appear to be "something" on the hats.

Another reference I found stated that 700 hundred Sharps Rifles with 30" barrels and sword bayonets were purchased by the Navy, and sent west to arm the Mississippi Marine Battalion.  I don't believe anyone is currently producing a replica of the Spencer rifle, so I don't think I'll attempt that.  I do have a replica 1858 Enfield Rifle (two-band, "Sergeant's Pattern") that I believe would be appropriate for Artillery troops. 

I have ordered the book Ellet's Brigade: The Stangest Outfit Of All that perhaps will shed more light.  I would greatly appreciate any input from any of you out there who could steer me in the right direction in my research, or provide any facts you may have.  I, as well, will share what more I may find in the future, if anyone is interested.

Guns

p.s.:  As an aside, The MMB is the origin of the term "Horse Marines" and basis for the song/poem character of Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines:

"I'm Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines,
 I feed my horse on corn and beans,
 And sport young ladies in their teens,
 Tho' I'm a Captain in the Army .... "

I may have found a (fictional) name for my 2006 Muster personna ... that "sporting" thing sounds kinda fun...

GG
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
Re: Mississippi Marine Brigade - Info ?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 06:48:47 PM »
sounds like an interesting bunch to research.

just so Del don't make up a load of beans and feed them to Trinity's miniture horses.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 07:34:37 PM »
Maybe Lars can play it on his nickleharpe (sp?) next time

GAF #301

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:04:08 PM »

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 07:59:19 PM »
Guns,

I've done considerable research on the Mississippi Marine Brigade.  In fact, I put together a uniform to wear for my trip on the Delta Queen this spring.  

The book you ordered is a good start.  There is another book written by one of their senior officers, both name and tiltle of the book I can't recall right now, but I made some copies of the pertinent pages that I will copy and send to you.

In brief, the Brigade was raised from invalids (wounded and sick recovering in hospital) since the unit wasn't supposed to do any marching or camping out.  Of the 10 companies of infantry, they raised six.  The raised 3 companies small of cavalry, and had a battery of light guns (howitzers if I recall correctly).  They were garrisoned aboard about six steamboats on the Mississippi.  They'd steam up and down river waiting for CS troops or guerrillas to open fire on the boat, then run up next to the bank and off-load some troops.  

Uniform was the standard US Army uniform, but they wore a unique cap.  Near as I can figure out it was the naval cap, or something very similar to it.  Around the base it had a green band, edged in gold lace.  The device seemed to vary, but I made one based on a description of two crossed anchors.  Other descriptions included crossed anchors and guns (NFI), and standard Army insignia.

Arms were Spencer rifles for infantry and carbines for cavalry.  (FYI - Taylors is coming out with a rifle length version of their .56-50 Spencer).

As for the Horse Marines, I believe that was in reference to mounted Marines in China - but I could be wrong.

US Scout
Bvt Col of Marines

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 08:03:12 PM »
Scout,
I believe the author of the book you mentioned is Wallace Crandall, and it was published in 1907.  I found one (original) copy for sale, at $1.000,00.
The song "Capt. Jinks of the Horse Marines" came from the 1880's, or thereabouts.  An opera or operetta with that title was popular around the turn of the century;  Ethel Barrymore starred on Broadway, I think, about 1901.  Yeah, we had Horse Marines in China, too, in the '30's.  I know one of 'em, he's in his 90's now.  They rode little shaggy Mongolian ponies for patrol.
Where'd you get your hat?
I look forward to seeing the material you send!

GAF #301

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 08:20:52 PM »
Guns,

Actually, the book is "Warfare Along the Mississipppi: The Letters of Lieutenant Colonel George E Currie"

Currie was the de facto (ie, field) commander of the Bde.  Probably the best soldier in the brigade as well.

You might be able to find a used copy, but it won't come cheap.  Took me a couple of years.  I can send you some information from it if you'd like.

I know of the Crandall book, but have yet to see one, let along get a copy.

Currie notes they were all Army, not Navy, and while attached to the Fleet/Flotilla, were not subordinate to the Navy (lots of stories there about doing their own thing contrary to the wishes of Davis or Porter).

As Army, their uniforms (save cap), arms and equipment was also Army.  They believed themselves directly subordinate to Stanton (which is explained in the "Ellet's Bde" book).

I'll try and take a photo to send you of the cap I made up in the next few days.  I've got a tracking class I have to prepare some teaching aids for so it may be the weekend before I get around to it.

The Brigade weren't real Marines, but they fulfilled a Marine role and were the nearest thing to Marines to be found on the Mississippi.  For all their faults (discipline was said to be a problem), they are an interesting outfit and I'm glad to see someone else is interested in them.

US Scout
Bvt Col of Marines

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 08:27:55 PM »
Did find a manufacturer of Spencer Infantry rifles:  www.romanorifles.com  5 big bills!!! They have Spencer carbines and  Single-shots,  Maynard, and Keen & Walker, as well.

The "action figure" I mentioned before is holding a rifle in one hand, and waving a liquor bottle over his head with the other.  What I've discovered so far about them is they were a bit of a rowdy bunch, often accused of pillaging homes and farms along the river (as opposed to legitimate "foraging")  They tried to justifiy their actions by claiming to have received incoming from the riverbank

GAF #301

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 08:34:36 PM »
I talked to Taylor a few months ago while visiting their HQ.  They tried to talk me into buying one of the new .56-50 Spencer carbines (since I already had one in .44 Russian), but I told them I wanted the infantry rifle version instead.  They said not to worry, it was in the works.  Price to be about the same as the carbine already being marketed.  I just hope it'll be sooner than later.

That said, Taylors did manage to sell me one of their HA Remingtons! 

US Scout
Bvt Col of Marines

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 10:13:32 PM »
I believe Taylors even now has full Spencer rifles coming into the country.  Same price as the carbines.  'Course, you could always portray one of the Mounted/Light Artillery companys, and thus use one of the more readily available Carbines.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 05:30:11 AM »
Guns,

As a historian, I've learned that there are usually two, or maybe even more, sides of the story. 

Most of the reports about the Brigade's disciplinary problems came from the Navy commanders who wanted to see the unit placed under direct Navy or maybe even Army control or, failing that, disbanded.  No one wanted an independent unit with direct access to the Secretary of War running its own war in their theaters.  The Ellets (it was a family affair) appear to have been a true pain to work with. 

On the other hand, reports from the Brigade's officers suggest the men were of the highest moral character, protecting property and treating Southerners with humanity. 

I suspect the truth, as usual, lay somewhere in between.  They probably did do their fair share of pillaging and plundering, not unlike other units (on both sides), and they probably had a few men who were "more active" than most in these activities.  On the other hand, they had those who were good soldiers, doing their disagreeable and dangerous duty as best they could.  They certainly weren't choir boys, but they weren't Attilla the Hun reencarnated either.

I tend to think the Brigade has some problems, but probably not as bad as depicted by Porter and other senior commanders.  Their reports have to be put into perspective as to what the senior commanders wanted to do with the Brigade - subordinate it directly under their control. 

US Scout
Bvt Col of Marines

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 11:05:35 AM »
The Illustrated History of the U.S. Inftantry, by Gregory Urwin has one plate which shows a member of the Mississippi Marine Brigade.  It has been a while since I have reviewed that reference, so I will have to re-evaluate its veracity.

Tell me more about the light artillery arm of the Brigade.  Howitzers....HMMM.

Michael "Books" Tatham
Capt. 5th Kansas Battery
Acting Artillery Commander, Dept. of Missouri
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 03:11:00 PM »
According to Lt Col Currie (who should know), the battery consisted of six rifled guns and two mountain howitzers.

I'm sure the reference to the mountain howitzers will please you.  Not sure what kind of rifled guns they used (my guess is they were Parrotts, but I need to check).  Battery commander was a Capt Daniel P. Walling.

I'll see what else I can come up with for you. 

US Scout
Bvt Col of Marine

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 04:09:51 PM »
I just checked ABEBooks.com and found one copy of Lt. Col. Curries book listed.  It is $ 40.00 plus shipping.  It is not my area of research or I would jump on it.

If someone in the GAF buys it I would like photocopies of any relevate parts about Mt. Howitzers.  I will relay any info to Major Paul Rosewitz, who is probably the worlds foremost athority on Mountain Howizers.

Michael "Books" Tatham
Capt. 5th Kansas Battery
Acting Artillery Commander, Dept. of Missouri
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 04:13:29 PM »
This has been an interesting and inforamative thread.  I am already getting excited for the next Muster just to see the variety of uniforms....
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2005, 07:43:03 PM »
Uniform Plate #535 of The Company of Military Historians is on the Mississippi Marine Brigade.

"The Mississippi Marine Brigade was a US Army unit created to meet the needs of river warfare.  The Brigade was organized to permit task groups of infantry, artillery, and cavalry to be immediately landed near Confederate units that had opened fire on Federal vessels or supplies being moved along the Mississippi.  Since the Navy was unable to furnish the Marines, the Army did - just as it had originally did the Ram Fleet to clear the Western waters."

"...By March 1863, the reported Brigade strength was "six companies of infantry organized - 527 men; four companies of cavalry - 368; one company of artillery - 140 and six guns light artillery."

"Discipline in the Brigade was loose and resulted in a steady stream of complaints.  Thus the Brigade earned an unpleasant reputation for overzealous and questionable actions in seizing contraband and other articles from Southerners.  ...However, it appears that many of the persons involved were unruly slaves and crew members from Porter's Squadron."

"Although Assistant Secretary of War Charles A Dana declared the Brigade expensive and inefficient, Secretary Stanton refused to disband it since, in his view, it had proved itself to be useful to the Union.  In October 1863, the Brigade had just returned to the Army's control from Admiral Porter's jurisdiction and was disbanded in August 1864."

"The uniforms, arms and equipment of the Brigade were a mixture of anything that could "acquired." But there was at least one unique item of dress.  It was "The cap which was made with a full round top, broad straight visor and wide green band with trim of gold lace." Some sixteen of these caps, which appear very Germanic, can be seen among the 264 pictures of Marines found in their unit history.  Four have visible insignia which are a crossed cannon, an infantry bugle adn two fouled anchors."

The uniform plate shows four uniformed soldiers.  One is an officer wearing a frock coat.  Another is a cavalry man in the 1855 pattern jacket and a kepi or bummer, and an artilleryman wearing the 1855 pattern artillery jacket and a black slouch hat with with an artillery had cord and brass artillery insignia.  Third is an infantryman in a sack coat.  All are wearing the sky-blue trousers. The officer and infantryman are wearing the unique round cap, apparently with crossed fouled anchors on the front.  Arms are Colt and Remington revolvers and Spencer carbines.

US Scout
Bvt Col of Marines

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2005, 05:58:33 AM »
RCJ-

Near as I can determine, only the "round cap" had the green and gold trim and fouled anchor device.  Kepis, bummers and slouch hats were decorated with just the usual stamped brass insignia, hat cords, etc, which as you know was pretty much optional in the field.

That said, it would be kind of neat to see a group of Mississippi Marines show up at a Muster or other function.  I've been interested in them for over 20 years (since I first saw the CMH plate I mentioned above).  I wore the uniform on the Delta Queen trip this year (in Memphis) and the cap itself caused quite a bit of comment.  People couldn't figure out if I was Army (based on the coat) or Navy (based on the hat).  Since few had heard of the Brigade, it was a great opportunity to enlighten them.

For all its supposed disciplinary problems, it is a neat unit to study just based on its concept and subordination alone.

US Scout
Bvt Col of Scouts

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2005, 04:16:33 PM »
And, if anyone is interested in joining the Company of Historians, we're holding a recruiting drive at the moment. 

Let me know and I'll be glad to sponsor you. 

US Scout
Bvt Col of Marines

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2006, 12:35:03 PM »
Last weekend I was at the Frontier Army Museum at Fort Leavenworth.  I took the opportunity to go through the collection of Company of Military Historian publications.  I found the Military Unifomrs in America plate # 535, Mississippi Marine Brigade, 1862-1864 and the text explanation thereof.

Unfortunatly it was not very enlightening.  The line; "The uniforms, arms and equipment of the Brigade were a mixture of anything that could be 'acquired.' " sums up the article. 

It does metion that, "At Vicksburg, Spencers were used by Brigade sharpsshooters."

The article cites, The History of the Ram Fleet.... , by Warren D. Crandall & Isaac D. Newell.   

I did a quick check on ABEBOOKS.com and found 4 copies ranging from  $ 164.50 to 650.00.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2006, 05:58:57 PM »
The entire text of "The History of the Ram Fleet..." by Crandall is available on line for those who are members/subscibers of Ancestry.com.  It is in .pdf format, and about four hundred pages.  I have downloaded certain sections, and some photos.  The pages appear to have been scanned, as some are off-center or tilted.  Most of the photos are rather dark, and are mostly "portrait"-type or CDV's of individuals.  Despite these criticisms, it is easily readable, and prints out well.  In researching uniform and weapons information, there is nothing much that isn't in more readily-available sources. (such as the current book "Ellet's Brigade:  The Strangest Outfit of All").
I'm currently in the process of assembling a uniform.  I found a good deal on a Jr. Officer's Artillery shell jacket on e-bay, and have other items in the works.  Got an idea for a cap insignia - a Rhode Island "Fouled Anchor" hat emblem, with the crossed cannon of Artillery.  Kind of a variation of an idea I got from U.S. Scout.  A couple photos of the Crandall book I mentioned indicate a badge along those lines, but the detail isn't there.   I'll post pictures when I get it all together (eventually?)

GAF #301

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2006, 09:25:56 AM »
RCJ & USS,
Many thanks for mentioning the 'Company...' website, after a quick viewing I find it of immense value to our forte'         and discovered many new links that I had not seen before. In addition, after scrolling through the on-site forum I found a recent request/question from the Great-Great Grandson of THE A.W. Ellet! Now how about that! Methinks there is some merit to establishing a 'new' GAF M. M. B. Flotilla and securing the GGG as an Honorary GAF member and Staff, what say you all?   
Best regards, etc.,
'Ol Gabe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com