Author Topic: Old Roy Rogers Movies  (Read 9206 times)

The Arapaho Kid

Old Roy Rogers Movies
« on: November 06, 2005, 05:23:03 PM »
I went to a jazz festival this weekend.  After the music was over and dinner done, went back to the motel and flipped on the TV.  Found a channel that does only Western Movies.  Watched a few of them.  Saw a couple of very old Roy Rogers movies.  These were PRE Dale Evans and PRE Trigger and Roy was wearing a single sixshooter gunbelt.  No Ford Woodys in them either!  These musta been made in the 30's?

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Old Roy Roger's Movies
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 05:24:51 PM »
I remember those episodes. Of course, when I saw them the first time, they were reruns. :D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

The Arapaho Kid

Re: Old Roy Roger's Movies
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 05:33:10 PM »
I think Roy made some Westerns that were real Westerns, then the the 40's hit he started bringing in vehicles.  Jeeps, Ford Woodys and trucks.  Never could figure that one out.  Guys driving around in a Ford Woody and wearing sixguns!  I guess you could call those the "Not So Old West" movies?

Advertising

Re: Old Roy Rogers Movies
« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:18:13 PM »

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 05:38:14 PM »
Seemed like those movies with the jeeps and stuff were trying to go modern with a taste of the old west., not quite as good
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 05:44:55 PM »
I just did a search and Roy did his first movie, Under Western Stars, in 1938. He wasn't cast with Dale until 1944. Couldn't figure out when he first did the "modern" westerns, though.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 05:58:45 PM »
They must have started during or jsut after WW 2  I remember that old jeep (nelliebell) looked like a jeep of that era

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 06:43:49 PM »
I think his "Modern Westerns" (with the vehicles) came out right toward the end of WW2, or right after it.  The two that I watched didn't have the Sons of the Pioneers in them either.  I think that group came in just about the same time as the vehicles?  I have an old RR movie here.  In it they are riding from town to the ranch in a horse drawn wagon and singing.  Pat Buttram is driving the wagon and he is accentuating parts of the song with a sixshooter.  Like the nit picker I am, I counted the rounds he fired.  11 out of a sixshooter without reloading!  Good trick!

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 06:52:06 PM »
them ole sixshooters had special powers when in the hands of a star.

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 08:44:26 PM »
And...of course...the other trick was....if you were the bad guy in the black hat and ran outa bullets, standard operational procedure was to.....toss your sixshooter at the good guy!

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 09:11:36 PM »
Yeah,  you always had to throw your gun if you were the bad guy. guess they figured they had no furture use for it.

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 10:51:51 PM »
I saw an old John Carridine movie one time.  He was the bad guy and being chased by the posse.  He fired his sixgun at them from a galloping horse and when it was empty...he tossed it over his shoulder back at the posse.  About the only thing that he could accomplish with that is beaning a horse in the shins with it!  Ah  Hollywood!  Never a dull moment in the old Hollywood Westerns!  Many for the old Westerns should have been called "How The Old West Wasn't"!

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 11:13:46 AM »
Back to the topic:
Roy started his movie career as a member of the Sons of the Pioneers in the movie “Slightly Static” (1935), but was only a comedy short.  A lot of his early billings were as his real name Leonard Slye or Dick Weston as a member of the Sons of the Pioneers.
His first billing as Roy Rogers was “Under Western Stars (1938).
Dale first appeared with Roy in 1944 (as far as I can tell) in “The Yellow Rose of Texas), still with the Sons of the Pioneers as the featured band.
In the late 1940’s the Sons of the Pioneers left, and were replaced by Foy Willing's Riders of the Purple Sage.
Saturday November 5th was Roy’s birthday (would have been 94), and the Westerns channel was showing broad example of his movies.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 11:55:29 AM »
When I was a kid, growing up in Astoria, Oregon, the local theater did a cowboy double feature one Saturday.  They did a Roy Rogers movie and a Gene Autry movie.  After they were over you had to vote on your most favorite cowboy hero.  I voted for Gene, but I don't remember who won that one.  I voted for Gene because his movies were more realistic.  No Ford Woodys (or other motorized vehicles) being driven by guys wearing sixguns.

Offline Russ T Chambers

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 11:57:19 AM »
Kid
I think you need to go back and review the majority of the movies Roy and Gene made.  I find that the movies Roy made prior to WW II had few or no motorized vehicles.  A large number of Gene’s movies used cars, trucks and buses. 
It seems as if you’re exposure to these actors was mainly the later years.  Your descriptions of Roy’s movies sound like they were from the TV series. With the jeep and station wagon, but I have yet to see Roy in a movie with robots, underground cities, futuristic tanks and ray guns.  But Gene did a whole series called “The Phantom Empire”!!!
Go watch some of the real movies from each, and you’ll see what I mean.

Now to throw some coal oil on the fire!!!   ::) ::)

Having watched numerous Autry movies and shows on the Westerns Channel (the Autry Museum helps fund it, and his programs restoration), and the few Rogers movies they choose to air, I have come to the following conclusion, though both Roy and Gene remain my childhood heroes: 
Gene Autry couldn’t sing!!!  (Too nasal in my opinion), and he couldn’t act!  (Too stilted, and no real expression)
Let the fur fly!!!! ;D ;D ;D
Russ T. Chambers
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 12:16:17 PM »
Several of the Roy Rogers movies I have seen have had vehicles in them, so these were post WW2.  I have seen several Gene movies with vehicles too, but I don't know the years on them, or whether they were pre, or post WW2?  I have not seen the Gene movie "Phantom Empire", but will snoop around and find a copy and look at it.  Just a guess:  Gene wanted to do something a little different than the standard Western?

I agree with you on who was the better singer.  Gene was ok, but Roy was better.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2005, 12:45:57 PM »
I have a little collection (my wife thinks otherwise) of Roy and Gene movies on DVD that I have picked up from a local Farm & Fleet store. Gene and Roy made movies before the War that had horseless carriages in them. The main way to tell if it was before the War is to look for the presence of Smiley Burnette. Before the War, Gene and Smiley were inseparable (sp?). Then, Gene went to War and wasn't in movies in '43, '44, and '45. Roy and Smiley did some movies together during the War. After the War, Gene and Smiley did not reunite.
Roy was in 3 Gene movies before he had a starring role in a movie.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Russ T Chambers

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2005, 01:42:13 PM »
Slim
I think Roy's favorite side kick was George "Gabby" Hayes!  'course Windy/Gabby was almost every cowboy's side kick!!! ;D ;D ;D   Not to mention being the villian in some very old John Wayne moives! :o :o
Russ T. Chambers
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2005, 03:30:39 PM »
Russ T.,
I like Windy/Gabby too. I have a bunch of John Wayne movies with him in 'em. He was in Hoppy movies too.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2005, 06:52:45 PM »

YOU COYOTES BETTER BE A-SMILIN' WHEN YOU MENTION MY NAME, OR I'LL COME OUTA THIS BOX AND WHUP YA!

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2006, 07:33:16 AM »
Roy played "second fiddle" to Jonn Wayne in a movie titled "Dark Command" made in 1940. Actually I believe that Rogers played Claire Trevor's brother in the movie. Walter Pidgeon plays  the villain, Will Cantrell; who's character is obviously based on Charles Quantrell the infamous "Rebel Raider" [who by the way was never offically recognized by the Confedarate Gov't an being a part of their army]. at the fade out, if I remember correctly someone tells Wayne, "all's well that ends well, that's from Shakespeare." and Wayne replies "He musta been from Texas, we say that all the time." or something to that effect.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com