Author Topic: Uberti 1866 bolt question  (Read 6163 times)

Offline John William McCandles

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Uberti 1866 bolt question
« on: April 26, 2015, 05:21:07 PM »
My  1866 has developed a problem where the bolt face is dropping allowing the extractor to hit low on the chamber face when closing the action. Any ides on what would be the cause? This is a .44 special rifle and hope it can be repaired.

Thanks
JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
Alpine Outlaws (Inactive)
NRA Life
NAHC Life
U.S. Navy Submarine Service Retired

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
Re: Uberti 1866 bolt question
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 07:45:38 PM »
Lifter issue?  ???

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 03:58:22 AM »
Lifter issue?  ???

Not sure, the nose of the bolt is dropping when closing the action.
I haven't had time to take it apart to check yet, but I'm hoping it's worn links or something else simple. This is an older rifle I bought used 11 or 12 years ago. My main match rifle for NCOWS.

JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
NRA Life
NAHC Life

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:01:00 AM »

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 11:06:08 AM »
Is the tab on the bottom of the bolt missing?  Other than that, it sounds like the lifter is dropping prematurely
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 01:14:40 PM »
Is the tab on the bottom of the bolt missing?  Other than that, it sounds like the lifter is dropping prematurely

Thanks, I'll check on the tab tonight.
What would cause the lifter to drop early? Is there a write up on timing these anywhere on the net?
Also, if the tab is missing off the bolt can it be replaced or will a new style bolt and firing pin extension need to be fitted if possible? This is the old style with the pin holding the bolt and extension together.

JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
NRA Life
NAHC Life

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 04:10:02 PM »
The tab can be replaced.  Various smiths do it.  Or the bolt can be replaced.  A '66 smith would be he best to ask.  A weak spring could allow the carrier to drop as the lever is closed.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 05:43:35 PM »
Coffinmaker & Pettifogger will along shortly and they will know. We just have to be patient until Happy Hour ends.  :D  ;D  ;)

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 06:31:08 PM »
Well the tab is on the bottom of the bolt face. It seems the spring is weak. The previous owner had lightened them and now I believe it is bent and very likely shot.
I had a new one and installed it and it seems to work better. It snaps very hard when the lever is raised but I believe that is caused by the screw installed on the lever face as I described in a prior post. I'll take that out tomorrow and see what happens. I may end up trying to lighten this new stock spring a bit, I'll know more after I remove the extra screw.
Thanks
JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
NRA Life
NAHC Life

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 10:29:27 PM »
High JWMcC,
That "extra" screw in the back face of your Carrier Block Arm is for positive slam down, as I explained in our previous post.  Now that you have installed a stock side spring, it would be pretty "snappy" as you close the lever.  The reason it's "snappy" is because the Lever face is in positive contact with the carrier arm all the way down, so both the side spring and the lever are powering the carrier arm down.
Here's my suggestion.  Leave the screw alone in the carrier block arm.  Call Longhunter Shooting supply and get a set of "SlixSprings" for your rifle and fit em.  They will take a little fitting to clear the side plates properly.  You'll be amazed at the effort that stock side spring takes.
Or, reduce the stock side spring you now have.  It won't take much to make it "not a spring" so go slow and be careful.

You'll notice I did NOT suggest you remove the screw that gives you positive slam down.

Coffinmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 05:23:22 AM »
Coffinmaker, thanks for the reply and suggestions.
I'll order set of springs for my '66 and Sierra Sue's also, her's still has the stock springs installed, may also added the screw into the carrier block arm on her's.

JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
NRA Life
NAHC Life

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 04:48:54 PM »
JWMcC,
Changing the springs in Sierra Sue's rifle is a superb idea.  Depending on the caliber, when the Carrier Block gets a little gungy, it will tend to stick in it's mortice and jam the rifle (with light side springs), so if you do add the Slix Springs you WILL want to add the screw to the carrier block arm for positive slam down.
Have you already put a light Main Spring Spring to her rifle??  If you put a light main spring, and Slix Springs to her rifle, your gonna get a real good dinner after the first time she shoots it  ;D
I think Slick McClade is now offering a reduced Main Spring for Toggle Link rifles.

Coffinmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 04:57:01 PM »
Here's is the same as mine, .44 special and I load Trail Boss for her so, yes I'll need to add the positive slam down screw.
Does anyone make a reduced power main spring that will still set CCI primers off?

JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
NRA Life
NAHC Life

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 10:29:36 PM »
I'd contact Slick McClade and as him personal like.  I use to set up rifles that would ignite CCIs although overall, Federal's are a better choice.  A reduced Main Spring is also available from Happy Trails at "The Smith Shop."  Might give him a call too.
An important step is to reprofile the the Firing Pin and modify or replace the the firing pin return spring.  Much too heavy. 
Also, if you're unsure about adding positive slam down, gimme a IM with your personals and I'll make up a carrier arm with PSD.  You will just have to adjust it.

Coffinmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 04:59:05 AM »
I'd contact Slick McClade and as him personal like.  I use to set up rifles that would ignite CCIs although overall, Federal's are a better choice.  A reduced Main Spring is also available from Happy Trails at "The Smith Shop."  Might give him a call too.
An important step is to reprofile the the Firing Pin and modify or replace the the firing pin return spring.  Much too heavy. 
Also, if you're unsure about adding positive slam down, gimme a IM with your personals and I'll make up a carrier arm with PSD.  You will just have to adjust it.

Coffinmaker

I will ask the spring makers about CCI primers.
Thanks for the offer on the PSD carrier arm. I'm sending a PM.

JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
NRA Life
NAHC Life

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 08:32:56 PM »
J.W. I have one of the reduced main springs from the Smith Shop if you want me to bring it to the next shoot so you can try it on the CCI primers before ordering one.

I've used them in a couple of my rifles but wound up lightening and polishing the stock spring on the carbine I just did for Miss Kitty.

I used the Whisper springs from the smith shop on the lever and lifter arm.

Polish the cams the springs ride on and make sure there arent any other burrs rubbing anywhere and mirror polish the ramp of the lifter block so the cartridges in the magazine can slide on along the face like silk.

My 66 has always ran fine like that without PSD except for the one time I was trying to run it really fast when it was very cold out. I'm still going to put PSD in it next time I have it down for a good cleaning.

Our guns will all set off Winchester primers as long as they are seated good but not sure about CCI. We always use Winchester and Federals for our CAS ammo.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 05:45:45 PM »
PSD carrier arm is in the works.

Coffinmaker

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 08:23:52 PM »
J W McC

Sent ya an IM.  Sent ya a Carrier Block Arm wid a funny little screw in it.  Have fun  ;D

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com