Author Topic: Antiquing "How-To"  (Read 149255 times)

Offline andy42s

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Antiquing "How-To"
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2010, 07:34:53 PM »

Here's an updated picture of my new vaquero. I flitzed the ferric chloride finish, and finally tarnished the brass grip frame, and dulled the grips

Offline Alphawolf45

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2010, 05:22:05 AM »
 My first post here..Great forum.
I colorcasehardened this new receiver last week and the color pattern looked garish and didnt suit me..Remembering having recently read this thread and admired some of the 'antiqued ' guns .. I rubbed off the colors with 400 grit wet and dri and I like the appearance of worn off color case hardening...I see some of you fellers prefer the dull appearance ..I like some shine however as I think a cared for gun would be rubbed with rags frequently and wear to a shine going in and out of holster and scabbord.

Offline andy42s

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2011, 03:50:48 PM »

My 1851 navy

My stoeger

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 06:22:37 PM »

Offline n4sir45

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2011, 05:40:27 PM »
Can someone Antique a Stainless Ruger Vaquero? I have 2 Shiny Stainless Ruger Vaquero's that I'd like to look like they were from the old west. One of the 2 is an old model and the other is brand new model.
Anyone who wants to write me about it you can here or at n4sir45(at)msn(dot)com with instructions.
any are appreciated.

Offline Roscoe Coles

• Top Active Citizen
  • SSS Spencer Shotgun Resident Expert
  • SASS #: 1188
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2011, 11:33:33 AM »
The problem with the dip methods is that  guns come out looking like they have obviously been "antiqued".  Old guns always loose their finish at the high pints and have traces of finish in the low spots and protected areas.  The dip method removes the finish everywhere, which makes them look wrong.  But hey, I have always followed the "use it to make it look old" school of thought. 

Offline Junkman

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2011, 09:42:57 PM »

My 1851 navy

I hope you realize that the wedge on that '51 is upside down!  ::)

Offline Mako

• Shooter of the "holy Black", Frontier Gunfighter #1, STORM, Henry 1860
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cowboying since the Mid-20th Century
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2011, 09:32:54 PM »
I hope you realize that the wedge on that '51 is upside down!  ::)

Junkman,
My question is how that could be done if the wedge retention screw is in place.  "You can't get there from here..."

~Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
NRA, TSRA, MCA, MCAA, ANA, MOAA, ASME, SAME, BMES, STS

Offline Junkman

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2011, 10:25:25 AM »
C'mon Mako. I do not understand your question, since I do not see a picture that indicates the wedge retention screw is installed! You know damned well the wedge is upside down.

Offline Mako

• Shooter of the "holy Black", Frontier Gunfighter #1, STORM, Henry 1860
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cowboying since the Mid-20th Century
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2011, 11:25:20 AM »
C'mon Mako. I do not understand your question, since I do not see a picture that indicates the wedge retention screw is installed! You know damned well the wedge is upside down.

Calm down... My point is that you are correct, furthermore the wedge retention screw can't be in place because you can't put a wedge in upside down if it is.  It was a rhetorical question.  I'm sorry if it sounded like I was disagreeing with you. :(

Regards,
Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
NRA, TSRA, MCA, MCAA, ANA, MOAA, ASME, SAME, BMES, STS

Offline Junkman

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2011, 12:02:49 PM »
Mako,

I'm calm. I knew the screw could not be installed due to the lip on the wedge. I just didn't understand your rhetoric. Sorry. Sometimes the written word doesn't come off as it would have face to face. No harm/no foul, as they say.  ;D

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2011, 04:21:56 PM »
Back about three pages, I figured we had this one run inta the ground.  Anyway, since we're here, how about some aphorisms.  They are a great way of aging things quickly!

"S-it happens!"

"Time flies when you're havin fun"

So the conclusion is;  Have more fun and everything will acquire the patina of experience much more quickly! 8) 8)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2011, 09:41:43 PM »
The pickled frame on my early blued .44 mag Vaquero is wearing nicely, looking great with the rest of the blued gun. The stainless Vaquero I bought at the same time is not aging as well, retaining most of it's lustre, but I like it just fine.

One of my Uberti .45s from the same era has that odd 'fire blued' finish that is aging nicely. It doesn't wear well and I've let it happen naturally. Some enhancement might actually improve it. It's companion is the standard dark blue and just starting to show wear.

I've never quite understood 'antiquing' a gun, as in the historic era, it would have looked like what it was - a fairly new and valued tool that saw daily or frequent use. The more service, the more marks. Honourably earned 'hash marks', like some scars, add character, each one a chapter in a story. But, I admit that some 'antiqued' guns look interesting.

Where I have problems is when it accentuates wear like a lot of 'tuning' and 'actions jobs' I've seen. I'm a believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."; letting things wear in naturally rather than speeding up the process. I like my women (wife) and my guns to look too damn young for me .... ;>)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Riot Earp

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2011, 08:00:30 AM »
I've never quite understood 'antiquing' a gun, as in the historic era, it would have looked like what it was - a fairly new and valued tool that saw daily or frequent use.

There is always someone in every antiquing thread, on every gun-related site, who expresses this view.  :-\

Antiquing isn't for everyone. But surely a gun carried on horseback in the elements would have aged rather quickly. Rain does nasty things to carbon steel. (Please, let's not extend the debate over this point, and thereby ruin this thread.)

Offline Indian Outlaw

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2012, 01:19:47 PM »
I am going to try the following method on a new Uberti London Navy:

http://disc.yourwebapps.com/discussion.cgi?disc=208184;article=296881

I think this method ages the gun more realistically than the vinegar-dip and acid-etch methods.

I refuse to bugger-up the screws, however.  ::)

Offline Gbeathar

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2012, 02:39:15 PM »
If you have any pitting or dings in the metal a French Grey finish will look pretty antique. Some mentioned toilet bowl cleaner to remove blueing. I use Brownells Blue and Rust Remover. The put the French Gray on with a product like PPG's Metal Conditioner. The longer you leave the in the conditioner, the darker they will be. You can then rub on and off rust oleum flat black. Any dings and pits will retain the black. It is a nice permanent antique look.

Gerry
BeathardEngraving.Com

Offline Boothill Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • got you in my sight
    • www.boothillbobholsters.dinstudio.se
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2012, 02:34:55 AM »
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Offline Boothill Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • got you in my sight
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2012, 02:24:39 PM »
It come out like this.. Looks like it been on the trail for a year without oil :D

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2012, 02:41:27 PM »
Helluva a cylinder gap there, Bill.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Boothill Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • got you in my sight
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2012, 04:49:24 AM »
Helluva a cylinder gap there, Bill.

Its a blank fireing gun that I use in shows :D

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2012, 03:23:19 PM »

To be honest I am not that fond of the "antiqwuing" that much. Esp. if it makes it look like it was stuck in a boot for a year. The reason I antiqued my gun was because it was a kit gun, AND I couldn't afford a full hot blue. AND I did want it to look some what worn.

I reposted this pix because someone asked about simulating the wear points ie holster etc. I did a cold blue on my gun, and with cold blue it is a fairly thin finish so the wear points come very quickly...suck as a cylinder drag mark and the holster wear on the bbl.l

I think my gun looks fairly authentic. looks much like the photo od Docs gun..

some of ya should give it a try..(the grips were already looking a bit worn they were in a bin of parts at EMF for about 20 years and banged around in there before I got them to replace the brass...

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com