Author Topic: Everybody repeat after me:  (Read 6003 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Everybody repeat after me:
« on: April 16, 2015, 09:01:41 AM »
"Forty Rod is a dumb ass!"

Doing some yard clean up yesterday and took my eye off the target for a split second.  

Result was a trip to the ER to get my left wrist sewed up (seven stitches) and setting the work back about ten day until it heals.

Lesson 1. Don't get complacent about tools.

Lesson 2. chain saws can hurt you. ( I was very lucky in that I could have had a much more serious injury from this lapse of attention.  I can live with some temporary pain and a scar, but would have difficulty adapting to the loss of fingers or  a hand... or worse.  I already have nerve damage to my right hand and arm and just don't need any more aggravation.)

Lesson 3.  DON'T GET COMPLACENT ABOUT TOOLS.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Everybody repeat after me:
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 11:01:34 AM »
Two years ago on the occasion of my wife's birthday, I attended a club work party. My wife's last words were - "Don't come back bleeding."

I was working alone (first mistake) clearing LARGE windfall trees with my Stihl chainsaw on our BP Trail. I let the still running blade contact the inside of my left leg (2nd mistake) as I pulled away cut limbs.

Net result - a cut that required ten stitches to close. The nurses at the emerg beat me up pretty good when I told them the story, asking me if I knew how close I was to my femoral artery, how far I was from anyone who could have helped me and if I knew how to apply a tourniquet, etc.

Then one said - "Go behind the curtain and drop your drawers so we can put a zipper in you". I was wearing bucking pants and the blade caught me just above the Kevlar pad. They gave me credit for that at least.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 420
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 11:41:28 AM »
Glad it wasn't worse ... somehow  35Rod, doesn't have the same ring  ;D
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:32:55 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 12:48:54 PM »
I would operate any form of chainsaw after hearing these stories. I just got back from running errands and grabbing a Burger and fries at our local diner. I am full and ready for a nap.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 03:09:42 PM »
I can hear your arteries hardening form here .... ;>)

A chainsaw is no more inherently dangerous than any other tool, including guns. I'll bet lawnmowers cause more injuries.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 04:36:22 PM »
I've been operating those things for 35 years, heating with wood most of that time. As they say, "Familiarity breeds contempt".  Last winter I slipped while wading into a thorny locust tree I had downed, as I was trimming off limbs, and...cut a 1 1/2" cut in the side of my boot, tore the sock-but the cut on my little toe was no worse than what you'd get from dropping the saw(not running) on my foot. Blade just stopped at the right instant. Good thing I never run it wide open when I'm just trimming small limbs. Was wearing steel toe boots, now I have a "ventilated" steel toe boot with a 1 1/2 inch cut just a fraction of an inch BEYOND the steel....

I did thank God for watching out for a fool with a chainsaw that day.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 05:20:38 PM »
We kinda hijacked Forty Rod's post. Hope he doesn't mind.

There's a special angel that watches over drunks and fools. I've been both at one time or another in my life. Sometimes both at the same time .....

Another time I was dropping a 70' fir, I was really cocky by stopping short on my last cut, putting in a plastic wedge and tapping it with a sledge. Didn't fall so I put in a 2nd wedge and smacked it - hard!

Next thing I knew, I was on the ground wondering who hit me. One of the wedges caught me across the brow, chipping out half a front tooth. I told this to a couple of fellow rednecks, both who lost an eye doing something similar. One hit a steel wedge with his sledge, t'other hit a pin on the backhoe bucket he was changing.

I got off easy just loosing half a tooth. I still take pride in my ability to drop a large tree exactly where I want it to go. But, I make tracks t'other way once it starts to fall, on a clear path I've already checked out.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 09:09:06 PM »
I believe the next time I get very old, long-dead, harder than steel grapevine, I'll resort to explosives.

73 years with all my various background activities and this is the first injury that required more than four stitches.

Hope I don't ever need any more.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 09:31:09 PM »
Only FOUR! You're barely in the game. Time to ante up, cupcake.

Offline Modoc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Editor, Shasta Regulators State of Jefferson
    • Shasta Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 02:12:33 AM »
Take Care 40Rod,  I am right with you on healing right now.  There are 6 stitches in my knee, but it is from surgery, not accident (this time).

I hope your hand looks better than mine do with all of the scars from the abuse that I put them through.  Of course you do have a couple of years on me.

Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Offline dwight55

• Top Active Citizen
    • Dwight's Leather Shop
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 07:34:50 AM »
Not bragging, . . . nor complaining, . . . but at 70, I've managed to escape most of the idiotic and/or careless things I've done in my life.

Motorcycles, fast cars, slow trucks, guns, chain saws, sloped roofs, . . . all could have "done me in" so to speak, . . . but some prayers and a guardian angel (or two maybe) seem to have kept the old boy safe.

Worst thing I did lately, . . . put a .45ACP round through my wife's living room floor.  Long story on stupidity, . . . but nobody and nothing but the plywood & floor covering were hurt.

Guess I could be the "innocent" on this thread, . . . just as soon stay that way.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you can breathe:  thank God

If you can read:  thank a teacher

If you can read this in English:  thank a Veteran

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 08:37:26 AM »
Take Care 40Rod,  I am right with you on healing right now.  There are 6 stitches in my knee, but it is from surgery, not accident (this time).

I hope your hand looks better than mine do with all of the scars from the abuse that I put them through.  Of course you do have a couple of years on me.

I got  couple of years on most folks.  What's your point?   ::)   :D

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 09:27:33 AM »
Well, I'm 72 and still refuse to learn from the mistakes of others in the belief that I still have time to learn from my own.

Offline Modoc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Editor, Shasta Regulators State of Jefferson
    • Shasta Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 09:32:47 AM »
I got  couple of years on most folks.  What's your point?   ::)   :D

Stirin' the Pot like a choosie.  ;)

Still, I am glad that you still have all of your appendages in the proper locations. 
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 11:21:33 PM »
not smart my pal

btw thanks for the 'spenders.  they WILL fit me...

see ya soon, unless ya keep up with the dumbASS moves

curley that has had a few close calls with saw too!!
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 11:44:20 PM »
not smart my pal

btw thanks for the 'spenders.  they WILL fit me...

see ya soon, unless ya keep up with the dumbASS moves

curley that has had a few close calls with saw too!!

You coming back for another visit?  Well...... are ya, pilgrim?   :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com