Author Topic: What term to use for multiple Sharps  (Read 17141 times)

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What term to use for multiple Sharps
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 04:23:10 PM »
Try about  4  oz. of "Yeble Rell".
It will help set you free of language.
My best,
 larry
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 09:44:24 PM »
Sharpsz!!  Eierbody knowz zat  ;D

Coffinmaker

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 05:18:43 PM »
Well, I now own a six-pack of Sharps rifles!

I was perusing the web site of the dealer that stocks Pedersoli rifles and Lo! - they were having a 20% off 'Black Friday' sale on EVERYTHING, to include rifles!~

I had been considering the Ped "Hunter" model with 30" octagonal barrel, but ended up opting for the "Silhouette" model with 32" octagonal barrel, upgraded, oil finished wood, case hardened receiver and lever. Both have pistol grips and shotgun butts, but oddly, only the "Hunter" model has checkering. That's something I can always get done later.

This at the urging of my dear wife who said - "If you were considering the basic rifle at the regular price and now can get the upgraded version for that price, why not go for it?"

Damn, I love that woman!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:39:22 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2015, 06:53:03 PM »
PJ,

Whatever your sweet wants for Xmas or Birthday ......... Make it HAPPEN

Coffinmaker

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2015, 08:17:03 PM »
I never argue with her when she adds something to her sewing/quilting accoutrements, nor do I object when she wants to visit her mother on the coast, indulge her grand kids and help her sons with mortgage down payments.

She's the money manager of the family, and the only reason I have what I do is due to her careful planning and money smarts.
Not only that, she's attractive and BUYS HER OWN GUNS! Like an AR-15, three 1911's, a .243 M700, etc., etc.

How I got this lucky beats the hell out of me .... but I'm grateful!
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2015, 08:36:54 PM »
Wow, that's great!  Congratulations!  Is it in hand, or do you have to wait now?

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2015, 09:14:05 PM »
I have had the great pleasure of meeting and shooting with PJ's better half.  And I do not hesitate to agree full well with him.

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2015, 09:24:41 AM »
I never argue with her when she adds something to her sewing/quilting accoutrements, nor do I object when she wants to visit her mother on the coast, indulge her grand kids and help her sons with mortgage down payments.

She's the money manager of the family, and the only reason I have what I do is due to her careful planning and money smarts.
Not only that, she's attractive and BUYS HER OWN GUNS! Like an AR-15, three 1911's, a .243 M700, etc., etc.

How I got this lucky beats the hell out of me .... but I'm grateful!

Sounds like you struck gold there, my friend! Congratulations on your purchase!
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2015, 11:06:17 AM »
It will be enroute directly, once I give the dealer my Government's permission to own an 1870's buffler rifle repro.

My next concern will be the length of pull. Shiloh increased their LOP 3/4" over the traditional length, as I found out when my 50-70 carbine arrived. It went back in the box for alteration.

If the Pedersoli is likewise too long, I'll be talking to Gabriel Law about it. Since the rifle will have upgraded wood, I want it done by the best.

Speaking of the carbine, it was my dear wife's idea to order it when I was first diagnosed with the 'Big C'. She said I needed something to look forward to during my treatment and recovery period.

Wonder why I love her?

Wow, that's great!  Congratulations!  Is it in hand, or do you have to wait now?

CC Griff

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2015, 11:51:15 AM »
PJ,

Just a side note here... often time rifles with shotgun butt plates will often times have the slightly longer stocks that are commonly found on shotguns.
My suggestion would be to shoot the gun before you try to shorten the stock. (may only be about 1/4 of an inch from the butt plate end.)
I have found it helps lesson felt recoil from the big cartridges. But then I am long in the arm and only about 155 lbs.

This might help...
Measure your length of pull from the inside "bend" of your elbow to the padded tip of your trigger finger. (About 1/4 of an inch from the actual tip of your finger.)
Them measure the rifles length of pull from the inside forward curve of the trigger to the outside curve of the butt plate.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2015, 02:50:02 PM »
LOP is a strange bird.  There's more to it than length.  Also to be considered is the drop at the comb and heel.  A rifle with a lot of drop, particularly at the heel, will 'feel' shorter than one with a relatively high comb, LOP's being the same.  Rifles with a shotgun butt often have a higher comb line than ones with crescent plates.  So this will make the rifle feel too long.  For an appropriate LOP, as long as you are not having to reach for the trigger, it should be fine.  Most of us modern shooters THINK we need a longer LOP than does the gun maker.  In truth, and particularly in practice, even we over 6' can comfortably shoot a rifle with 13 1/2" of pull.  It is certainly more comfortable than a stock that is 14 1/2".  Everyone has an opinion on this topic, naturally, proportional to the styles of actually shouldering a rifle.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2015, 06:33:54 PM »
I have a book on custom rifles in which the author says that his years of experience have taught him that the ideal length of pull is exactly 1/2" shorter than what the customer ordered, whether on a target or hunting rifle..

He said he learned this when he blew it on a customer's stock and it came our shorter than what had been specified. The customer was delighted with the result! He said he has never had a complaint since.

I also know that the LOP on a BPCR that is intended to be shot from prone differs from what is required in an off hand hunting rifle. I'm hoping that the rifle I ordered will have a straighter comb with less drop than my straight grip '74's.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com