Author Topic: anyone using a RCBS Competition Powder Measure Pistol/Small Rifle 98908  (Read 4321 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
Spec's say ,

Meters volumetric powder charges from .5 to 40 grains. Accurately meter all types of smokeless powder

The competition powder measure starts with the proven Uniflow Powder Measure with its precision ground metering drum and honed main casting. RCBS then adds a powder baffle and UPM Micrometer Adjustment screw. The Powder Baffle controls the powder flow and the pressure of the powder column on the metering unit. The UPM Micrometer Adjustment screw allows precise adjustments to the metered charge as well as allowing you to record the number of future reference and reuse. Handle placement can be used on the right or left side simply by changing the orientation of the metering drum. The powder measure will accurately meter, by volume, all types of smokeless powder-ball, flake, or cylindrical(stick).
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline cheatin charlie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I have RCBS powder measure and have used it for years with satisfactory results.  The micrometer head is very repeatable and saves time
when changing powders and loads.  I weigh my charge the first time and record the micrometer reading and the next time I need that load
set the mic and throw a couple of charges then weigh one and it is usually within a 1 or 2 tenth's of a grain of what I want.  It saves a lot of
setup time.  It throws charges that usually do not vary more then a tenth of a grain depending on what powder you are using.  I have had
mine for at least 30 years and it is still like new.  I would buy another if I ever needed one.  I bought mine before they had the competition
model and had to buy the powder baffle and micrometer head seperately but I believe it is the same as the new ones.

Offline Litl Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
From your post, it's not clear what's bothering you about that measure.   

All mechanical measures measure by volume.  It's up to the user to verify the powder weight they dispense. 

It's funny how the industry constantly confuses the issue and misstates things.   You constantly see "use X grains by volume" when there is no volumetric measure by grains.   No way to execute that advice at all.  And the passage you quoted says, "Meters volumetric powder charges from .5 to 40 grains"  when volume can't be measured by weight using powder, which varies greatly by density.   

What is scary, and often results in people making up squib loads, is the idea that "powder charges from .5 ... grains" can be accurately dispensed with all powders.   It can't.  Almost all flake powders run a high risk of bridging when adjustable measures are set for smaller charges.   Lee even warns against some powders at charges under 3-4 grains.   

You can very accurately set the volume of a number of different brands of measure.   You can't depend on that working perfectly for every powder type.   

I just finished off a very popular spherical powder that was purchased awhile back.  Spherical is absolutely the most accurately measurable powder.   I use Lee discs for a lot of favorite loads.  They're just holes in a disc and the volume is absolutely not changeable.   The new powder gave less velocity.   Apparently this new lot of powder is different than the old.  But it's the "same powder".   

So what do we have so far?    A claim that a measure can do loads of any powder down to .5 grains?   Not even close to true.  The idea that volume is adequate for measuring smokeless?  Probably ok unless you're loading to maximum pressures or making "do not exceed" loads.   

There is a reason gunpowder loads are listed by weight.  There are a lot of different shapes and in fact there are different shapes the of cavities in different measuring systems.  Even RCBS has different drums.  Weight is more closely linked to the energy in the charge with smokeless.   It's the sensible way to verify the amount of power you're dropping into that case.   

There is a reason so many loading manuals advise the loader to verify the weight of the charge when you start each session and every time you change powder or amount.   And it's not just to see if you set the adjustment correctly. 

The RCBS I got is an excellent measure and has worked perfectly for decades.   But what charge it's throwing gets checked by weight at the start of every run.   

Advertising

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
Thanks Red & Charlie

to respond , nothing bothering me really ...
so the Redding comp model was in $200 + range
great tool but I would have little use for the Rifle meter .
I was looking at price line RCBS Pistol measure is $121.00

I don't plan to load anything but pistol calibers , and up until recently was BP anyway,  lee dippers worked

I stared to load Fad powder (in fact Red Dot) , and decided to speed up my process.
basically a hobbyist , re load enough to keep me shooting
32-20 thru 45 Colt

I figured a Micro meter would help  course I'd weigh on my RCBS scale and doc. my  findings

Red Dot  95% of the time for smokeless

maybe 2400 and if I ever see it again Trail boss  ::)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I have and RCBS Uniflow that I had some mods made to it.     I have the RCBS micro meter adjustment, and had a center stem custom made with a dish in it so looking into the chamber it looks like the bottom of a test tube.   It resembles Reddings BR-30 that is quite expensive.   What it does is remove any corners the powder has to negotiate when the powder drops from the reservoir.   I can keep it at plus or minus 0.1  on my pro 2000 with the case activated link.    I've also added sinclair's bottle attachment.   Basically I've removed the green plastic reservoir, drilled and tapped a hole in the side of the mouth where a rcbs brass lock screw (from and RCBS lock Ring) fits and holds the bottle attachment.  I can use Just about anybody powder bottle directly mounted on the thrower.

The key is on a progressive press, be sure to have a powder checker die since most bottles are an opaque black color that you cant tell hoe much powder is in the bottle.  Or use a clear wide mouth water bottle you can get and any camping store.

NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com