Author Topic: ROA nipple wrench advice  (Read 4771 times)

Offline QueensHorseman

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
ROA nipple wrench advice
« on: April 12, 2015, 02:37:46 PM »
I picked up a ROA.  It doesn't seem to have been taken care of by the previous owner very well, not abused or even used much, but not cleaned well.  I have stripped it down and most everything seems ok now except I don't have a nipple wrench or anything small enough in my tool box to fit the hex at the base of the nipples.  The nipples themselves seem to be in good shape but I would like to remove them for a full clean and to ensure they don't seize in place.  Any suggestions on where to get such a small wrench?  I looked at a nipple wrench at a gun show recently but it was for a musket and seemed too large.

I've been researching ROA loads and will start with .457 balls.  I have Geox 2f and Olde E 3f for fuel and will likely start at 30 grains by volume.  Only thing left is to make up some felt wads, lubricated with spg.

Thanks for any help you can provide as this is my first experience with cap and ball.  :)

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: ROA nipple wrench advice
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 10:17:57 AM »
Go to Sears, Home Depot, Ace, etc., and buy a 3/16 nut driver.  Looks like a screwdriver with a socket end.  Works great and you'll never need another.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FNut_driver&ei=hcczVdGlBoftoATEhYHoBA&bvm=bv.91071109,d.cGU&psig=AFQjCNHULIQ5tLgfUx_KlPwrCaghi2Rohg&ust=1429543188517812

You want one like the red one.  The removeable socket type won't fit.

Offline QueensHorseman

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 02:41:24 PM »
Perfect and thanks.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:01:33 AM »

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 01:16:41 PM »
I use one of the craftsman nut driver,  its become part of my kit.
I also picked up on ebay a ultrasonic cleaner for cheep.  That after a shoot, I drop the cylinders in with water and dish soap.   after 2 5 minute cycles, they come out looking brand new.

NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com