Author Topic: First cowboy rig queries.  (Read 4868 times)

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
First cowboy rig queries.
« on: April 09, 2015, 10:35:25 AM »
Hi everyone. Having acquired the 2 Uberti Cattleman revolvers in .38/.357 I wanted, I have turned my attention to getting a suitable rig for them.im hoping the attached photo works.
My query concerns the lip of the holster when the revolver in put back in. Will it snag on the cylinder? . I live in the UK so ordering from the America is difficult and dear.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
Re: First cowboy rig queries.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 12:05:03 PM »
The mouth of the holster can be curved outward slightly. If the holster doesn't come that way, you can always bend it out slightly by dampening the leather and curving it outward slightly with your hand. No matter who makes your holsters, you may want to wet-fit them to the gun anyway. It is a simple process, which entails running tepid water inside and outside the holster for about 15-20 second, or until the leather appears completely wet. Do NOT soak the leather overnight or any such nonsense! Wrap the gun tightly in a plastic baggie and insert into the holster. If the gun has an ejector rod offset to one side of the barrel (most Colt's Single Actions do), obtain a hardwood dowel, sand one end rounded slightly and insert into the holster, before the gun.  A 3/4" (19mm) will do to form the body for the barrel and front sight. Note where the ejector thumbpiece shows in the holster body.  Take a 1/2" (12.7mm) dowel also rounded on one end, and use it to form a track from where the thumbpiece comes when the gun is in the holster up toward the mouth (top). This is to prevent the thumbpiece from forming a pocket that will trap the gun in the holsters.  Allow the leather to dry with the bagged gun in the holster for 6-12 hours (overnight). Remove the gun and allow the leather to dry for a couple of days, periodically inserting and withdrawing the gun from the holster to be sure the leather hasn't shrunk too much. Use a bit of care. You can always repeat the process. Treat the dried holster leather with a good leather conditioner (Do NOT use straight Neatsfoot oil!), LIGHTLY. Hope this helps.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline dwight55

• Top Active Citizen
    • Dwight's Leather Shop
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 01:01:21 PM »
Most all western rigs like you pictured, . . . the maker will flare the mouth of the holster ever so slightly, . . .  most people don't understand that it serves a dual purpose:  helping to re-holster and prevent any cylinder scraping on that edge, . . . as well as adding exponentially to the rigidity of the holster top.

I would not make one any other way, . . . except the buyer specifically demanded it be not flared.

The flare is noticeable to those who know about it, . . . but blows over the head of most other folks.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you can breathe:  thank God

If you can read:  thank a teacher

If you can read this in English:  thank a Veteran

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:30:39 PM »

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 03:39:37 PM »
And have the cylinders beveled if they are not. Makes it easier putting the gun in the holster and will not cut the leather.
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 04:17:49 PM »
That's most gratifiying to hear.  I will go ahead and order but I might mention the issue to the maker. The thing is I remember from childhood the same problem of re holstering the gun and that awful catch.  :) isn't it funny the things you remember.

Offline Horseapples

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 12:20:02 AM »
What configuration are the Uberti's?

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 03:18:29 AM »
Uberti cattleman, 5.5 inch barrel with a case-hardened finish.

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 12:51:55 PM »
I like the looks of that rig in your photo, Nagantino.  Do you have a link to it?

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 01:03:02 PM »
Half-Hitch,

I live in Northern Ireland so if your stateside it may not be of much use to you. The whole rig including what you see in the photo,plus a cross draw holster was £250 delivered in the next day.  I did not want bullet loops. I thought that was pretty good. He would do the same job for you but the postage would add a bit. The maker, John, kept me in touch during the making and asked relevant questions regarding fit and detail.

http://www.pistolleather.co.uk/

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 07:51:01 AM »
Thanks, Nagantino.  I checked out his work and it's very nice but I'll more than likely get something closer to home.  Enjoy your new rig.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com