Author Topic: SN #1 New Iron Frame Henry on NRA Foundation Auction  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Dusty Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

Offline tn_shooter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: SN #1 New Iron Frame Henry on NRA Foundation Auction
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 10:19:24 AM »
I saw this rifle at the NRA convention yesterday. While beautiful, the barrel is polished so much that it's almost round. They had an engraved brass frame with same rounded barrel on display AND my LGS has one too. LGS called Henry to complain about the non authentic barrel and he was told it was an anomaly and to send it back for a new and correct barrel. 3 that I've seen with wrong barrels... You'd think for $2300 and in this case $23,000 that the barrel would be right...especially considering that the the company making the rifle bears the name of the original.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 01:15:11 PM »
Some years back (way back) a similar problem occurred with the early guns made by Uberti and imported by Navy Arms.  At the time, Navy was "THE" importer of reproduction Henry, 1866 and 1873 Rifles.  The guns were coming out of Uberti over polished with rounded over edges on the barrel flats.  Val Forget made a trip to Italy and demonstrated how to polish and octagonal barrel on a belt machine to preserve the sharp definition of the barrel flats.
Quite possibly, the folks at the "new" Henry, need to learn the same technique.  Buffing an octagonal barrel with a common rotary buffer just doesn't work well at all.
I would expect the Henry folks to take notice of this and correct it toot sweet.  Now, if I can just get them to build me one chambered for 44 Russian, I'll be some ecstatic.  I'm not, however, holding my breath.  I would settle for .44 Special.  Set up for .44 Russian is really easy.

Coffinmaker 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:27:43 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 420
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 03:45:48 PM »
Side by each...  upper my H011 -  lower my 1999 Uberti

no such issue with the edges or flats .....

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline cheatin charlie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 05:36:08 AM »
A friend of mine has a new Henry and the barrel and receiver are over polished also.  It looks like somebody didn't know how to polish and
keep the barrel edges sharp.  The receiver was over polished also.  He also had a Uberti and an original Henry to compare to.  The Uberti
was closer to the original as far as the receiver than the Henry Co. model.  We were both disappointed in the new one and he said he wished
he hadn't ordered it.  I've had Uberti Henry's and would not buy a Henry Co. rifle without inspecting first hand to see how hard they had
polished it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com