Author Topic: Got my "new" 1875  (Read 11996 times)

Offline carbineone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Got my "new" 1875
« on: April 08, 2015, 08:04:27 PM »
I have a thread a little ways down asking about the remington I purchased last week

Received it today and am very Happy. It is beautiful. I did have to tighten up the loading gate but that was pretty simple.What really shocked me when I had it partially tore down, is that the loading gate, cylinder, and trigger guard are all stamped with the last 3 digits of the serial number. Even in a font period to the Remington 1875 original production. I was not expecting that at all.

One other thing I am really thrilled about. I want to put a lanyard ring on the butt. I was hoping that the serial number on the butt bottom was offset and sure enough it is. I have only seen one other that had the number offset so a Lanyard could be installed. I of course could not do a lanyard if I would have had to deface the serial number.

Bore is as new. Action is tight. Clicks are as good as any Colt I have ever had. Very positive. Hammer spring is very nice. This one I suspect was imported by EMF in the early 80s maybe. Here is a pic if you did not see the auction link in my other post.

I do not like the Outlaw markings on the barrel. Wish they had left that off. But hey, it is a copy..

Now if I just had some ammo loaded. Soon.  Thanks

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
Re: Got my "new" 1875
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 09:58:17 PM »
Looking good, Carbineone. All that's left is some stag grips and your good to go!
King Medallion

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 11:44:29 PM »
Like I said in that first thread, there's just something about the '75 Remington. Hope you have fun with yours!
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:30:27 AM »

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 12:37:41 AM »

nice lookin gun. you'll love it. mine was from winning a Happy Trails drawing. won a pair of consc. 75s and the Jessie rig. from Wil Ghormley (Brad Pitt wore it getting ready cor the movie. The cool part is I only bought ONE $10 ticket

give us more pix.

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline carbineone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 07:09:24 AM »
Going to kill me waiting to get set up to load some rounds. , so I can actually shoot it.

Have brass, but need to determine a good bullet size yet, and get some dies.

I will post some more pics when I get the Lanyard done. Hopefully better ones.

I am normally against any permanent modifications  to a Firearm. But am going to make a exception here since this one has the offset serial number and is a repro Firearm, and I really would like to have one also..

Those are very nice, even at twice the price. How long ago did you win them?

Those that have these copys. Are your serial numbers generally centered on the bottom of the butt or offset like mine?  Thanks

Offline Jake C

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 10:26:25 AM »
Going to kill me waiting to get set up to load some rounds. , so I can actually shoot it.

Have brass, but need to determine a good bullet size yet, and get some dies.

I will post some more pics when I get the Lanyard done. Hopefully better ones.

I am normally against any permanent modifications  to a Firearm. But am going to make a exception here since this one has the offset serial number and is a repro Firearm, and I really would like to have one also..

Those are very nice, even at twice the price. How long ago did you win them?

Those that have these copys. Are your serial numbers generally centered on the bottom of the butt or offset like mine?  Thanks

Mine are both offset. As I understand it, most of the modern ones are.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline carbineone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 02:12:21 PM »
It makes sense that they all would have been offset, as I suppose they used the same frame for the 1890 Police Model they made that had the rings as standard. But I have seen several of them that were centered on the 75 in my search finding this one...

Picked up a modern box of 50 44-40 cowboy loads at the local Pawn shop. Traded a box of Winchester 222 and a Remington 325 pack for it. I have lots of .22, so it was a good trade for me.  Atleast I a have a little to give her a try with till I get some loaded..

Thanks

Offline Jake C

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 09:57:57 PM »
It makes sense that they all would have been offset, as I suppose they used the same frame for the 1890 Police Model they made that had the rings as standard. But I have seen several of them that were centered on the 75 in my search finding this one...

Picked up a modern box of 50 44-40 cowboy loads at the local Pawn shop. Traded a box of Winchester 222 and a Remington 325 pack for it. I have lots of .22, so it was a good trade for me.  Atleast I a have a little to give her a try with till I get some loaded..

Thanks

I don't know that cut-off date, but for a while, they were centered. I'd recommend asking someone with real knowledge on them, as I'm just an amateur who has latched onto the '75.

Tell us how she does, and have fun! I plan on grabbing another '75 when I get into loading .44-40. Actually, th next gun I want is '75 Remington in .44-40 with another cylinder reamed out for .44 Special.

Offline carbineone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 07:51:45 AM »
I too have thought about another cylinder and doing the same thing.

But the dang cylinders and renting a reamer cost about half of what I paid for the whole revolver.

I am going to start a new thread soon on what kind of dies and such are best for loading the 44-40.  And some advice from those that load it.  I reload other calibers, but 44-40 will be new to me..

I did some action work last night. Trigger pull was pretty stout. I lightened the mainspring, and the trigger spring a little. Got it down to around 3 pounds which will be sufficient for me..Was up around 5 plus pounds.

My Lanyard ring is on the way from Taylors too. Will post a pic when I get that installed.  Thanks

Offline carbineone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 04:16:55 PM »
Got the Lanyard installed. I like it.

Was easy to do with my little Sherline Mill. I make alot of parts with that little mill amd lathe.

Going to put on a steel trigger guard if I can locate one. VTI and Taylors both do not have the trigger guards right now.. Any other sources you know of?

I did also dab some spots of cold blue on the sides of the hammer. I hated the shiny sides it came with, just dabbing cold blue lighter and heavier in spots, kinda gives it a cased look..  Thanks

Pic of the revolver and the mill..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com