Author Topic: Life member James Best  (Read 2950 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
Life member James Best
« on: April 07, 2015, 11:04:56 AM »
 James Best  actor and Life member of NCOWS has passed  :(
well known for his role as Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane on "The Dukes of Hazzard"
He was voted a life member of NCOWS in 2014
He died Monday night in hospice care in Hickory, NC  from complications of pneumonia.
He was 88
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Life member James Best
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 01:10:24 PM »
One of those early character actors that always seemed to take a head shot. In two of Jimmy Stewart' movies; Winchester '73 and Shenandoah at least. Then there was the hair trigger that got him in Fire Creek. RIP Pard.
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 02:35:07 PM »
Remember him from a lot of TV shows in the 60's and he always seemed to deliver a fine performance. I believe it was him in an 'Alfred Hitchcock" episode called "The Jar" that gave me nightmares as a kid.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:48:52 PM »

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 06:55:36 PM »

I had the unique opportunity to become friends with him a couple of years back and will always treasure the hours I got to spend with him. He was a true gentleman and an actor of great skill. His body of work in TV and film was more than substantial and included a number of outstanding Westerns -- both features and TV episodes.

Although most folks today knew him primarily for his work on The Dukes of Hazzard, we had a great time talking about his older work -- everything from Westerns (such as my favorite James Best western "Ride Lonesome" with Randolph Scott, James Coburn and Pernell Roberts) to The Twilight Zone and many, many other appearances.

Only yesterday, I was talking to a friend of mine about him doing an interview with James for The Shootist -- talking about his career in Westerns, but sadly that will now never be. He noted one time that he "always wanted to be a cowboy" and I am grateful to NCOWs for giving him a chance to be as close to one as we can provide in this day and age.

I will truly miss him. He was a good and gentle man and "one to ride the river with."

Ride easy, pard.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline OklaTom

• NCOWS Judge, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Bryan Buck
    • 3B Shooting Supply
  • SASS #: 73114
  • NCOWS #: L-172
  • GAF #: 719
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 03:38:35 PM »
I had the unique opportunity to become friends with him a couple of years back and will always treasure the hours I got to spend with him. He was a true gentleman and an actor of great skill. His body of work in TV and film was more than substantial and included a number of outstanding Westerns -- both features and TV episodes.

Although most folks today knew him primarily for his work on The Dukes of Hazzard, we had a great time talking about his older work -- everything from Westerns (such as my favorite James Best western "Ride Lonesome" with Randolph Scott, James Coburn and Pernell Roberts) to The Twilight Zone and many, many other appearances.

Only yesterday, I was talking to a friend of mine about him doing an interview with James for The Shootist -- talking about his career in Westerns, but sadly that will now never be. He noted one time that he "always wanted to be a cowboy" and I am grateful to NCOWs for giving him a chance to be as close to one as we can provide in this day and age.

I will truly miss him. He was a good and gentle man and "one to ride the river with."

Ride easy, pard.

Rest in peach, Mr. Best.  I have seen you as Roscoe P Coltrain, as well as numerous roles in western movies.  Your distinctive laugh always brought a smile to my face, no matter what role you were playing.  KYUCK KUCK KYUCK.  You will be missed.
"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com