Author Topic: Target distance  (Read 13246 times)

Offline Dustin

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Target distance
« on: March 30, 2015, 03:28:42 PM »
I've looked in the Tally Book and at all the documents I can find. Is there a documented minimum and maximum distance for targets?

Offline Cash Creek

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • In GOD we trust..all others cash only..
  • Liked:
Re: Target distance
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 05:07:07 PM »
 75 to 100 feet is a good place to start..Got to remember this is NCOWS, not some candy ass SASS  shooting..  ;D
Hiram Ranger #100, Westside Sportsmen Club, NCOWS 3395, SASS 90169, NRA, Col. Bishop's Renegades... Cowgirls are like barbed wire…handle with care.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 08:36:45 PM »
100 feet is a good distance for rifle targets provided they arent too big.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:13:35 AM »

Offline bowiemaker

• Maker of sharp pointy things
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Carter Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 11:03:53 PM »
Mix them up. Put a couple of challengers out there.
NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

Offline John William McCandles

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 06:32:43 AM »
IMO targets need to be placed and sized so they are challenging but not discouraging. We want the shooters to have fun and come back.
Maybe 100 ft(33yds) plus for the rifle and 21 ft (7yds) out to say 45 ft (15yds) for pistol targets. Just thinking out loud here and might be way out of line with these distances.

JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
Alpine Outlaws (Inactive)
NRA Life
NAHC Life
U.S. Navy Submarine Service Retired

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 10:42:54 AM »
JW: I think you're dead-on when it comes to "challenging but not discouraging." Very succinctly said.

Yes, we are NCOWS, but that doesn't mean our matches should be bench-rest level, high-precision, target contests. I believe we do a very good, consistent job when it comes to rifle targets. It's in the pistol target area that sometimes the "tiny target zealots" can get carried away.

From my perspective, distances must be correlated to target size. Big targets can be placed somewhat farther out; smaller targets should be substantially closer. I believe the object of our game (and our target placement) is to encourage scales that ate tipped slighty toward accuracy over break-neck speed, but we should never, IMHO, use target difficulty as a way to "weed out" competitors or "thin the herd."

I believe our matches should, for the most part, emulate real-world situations as they would have occurred in the Old West. There's no challenge (and very little connection to reality) in shooting a series of 3-foot-square targets at 3 yards out. By the same token, there's no reality connection to making targets so difficult that a person in a gunfight needs to take forever in order to strike their mark -- all the while with others shooting back.

"In all things, moderation" is a wonderful phrase and applies to so much of life as I see it. I believe it's equally true when it comes to our competitions. We should be striving to strike that balance between too easy and too difficult and we shouldn't create a distinct advantage to shooters of either extreme-- the spray-and-pray speed demons or the bench-rest bullseye'ers.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 02:29:31 PM »
JW: I think you're dead-on when it comes to "challenging but not discouraging." Very succinctly said.

Yes, we are NCOWS, but that doesn't mean our matches should be bench-rest level, high-precision, target contests. I believe we do a very good, consistent job when it comes to rifle targets. It's in the pistol target area that sometimes the "tiny target zealots" can get carried away.

From my perspective, distances must be correlated to target size. Big targets can be placed somewhat farther out; smaller targets should be substantially closer. I believe the object of our game (and our target placement) is to encourage scales that ate tipped slighty toward accuracy over break-neck speed, but we should never, IMHO, use target difficulty as a way to "weed out" competitors or "thin the herd."

I believe our matches should, for the most part, emulate real-world situations as they would have occurred in the Old West. There's no challenge (and very little connection to reality) in shooting a series of 3-foot-square targets at 3 yards out. By the same token, there's no reality connection to making targets so difficult that a person in a gunfight needs to take forever in order to strike their mark -- all the while with others shooting back.

"In all things, moderation" is a wonderful phrase and applies to so much of life as I see it. I believe it's equally true when it comes to our competitions. We should be striving to strike that balance between too easy and too difficult and we shouldn't create a distinct advantage to shooters of either extreme-- the spray-and-pray speed demons or the bench-rest bullseye'ers.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Well said!
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline bowiemaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Carter Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 03:12:44 PM »
Over the last 2-3 years I think the Nationals have done a great job of mixing up some relatively easy stages and some pretty challenging stages.

I keep stats on our shoots at JCR. We usually put pistol and shotgun targets at 11-15 yards and rifle targets at about 35 yards with an occasional 50 yard bonus target. Overall, shooters hit about 85% of the targets on average. We rarely have anyone shoot a clean match but we frequently have people shoot with 95%-97% accuracy.

Personally, I think shooting a clean match should be an exceptional accomplishment and if a lot of people are doing it the stages are too easy.
NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 06:13:41 PM »
I think this needs to be moved to the NCOWS Chambers.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 08:06:19 PM »
I agree about the mixing it up like has been done in recent years at the National. Keeps it fun and interesting for everyone.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 09:06:27 PM »
I feel that the targets should be placed so the average shooter can hit most of the targets, but it's fine to have a few very
challenging ones, so it is a accomplishment to shoot a clean match. As was very well stated earlier we don't want
to discourage any of our ranks.   Just my two cents worth

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline Kinchafoonee Kid

• Kinchafoonee Kid
  • NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 09:49:47 PM »
Well said, Brother Billy!
Kinchafoonee Kid
SSAS 94231

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 08:58:14 AM »
I don't care where they are at I plan on hitting them. Of course I always plan on hitting them, but some times they move, dodge, or duck. Tj   ;D
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 09:22:34 AM »
Bro. TJ, We all have that problem at our age!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 02:01:38 PM »
Shotgun targets should be at a minimum of 15 yards simply for safety.  Any closer and the splash increases dramatically.   I do not consider myself a very good shot but for the last 3 years I have shot the rifle targets with my pistol on 5 of the 10 stages because IMO the rifle targets are too close.  I believe the shortest distance for the rifle targets should be the hay bales.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 02:58:02 PM »

Joe:

Looks like it's all NCOWS members participating anyway, so I have no objection to moving it to the Chambers.  It may be more appropriate there.

NCOWS Marshal Retired
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Dustin

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 09:24:02 PM »
Part of the reason I posed the question was due to the target distance for our first SASS shoot. When I arrived for the shoot, I noted how close the targets were.  After the shoot I stepped off the pistol targets by putting one foot in front of the other. The targets I checked were about 14 feet from the firing line.

Offline bowiemaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Carter Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 07:28:43 PM »
Part of the reason I posed the question was due to the target distance for our first SASS shoot. When I arrived for the shoot, I noted how close the targets were.  After the shoot I stepped off the pistol targets by putting one foot in front of the other. The targets I checked were about 14 feet from the firing line.

That is dangerously close. That is the main reason I do not shoot with our local SASS club. I will not shoot at a match where everybody on the firing line is getting splattered with lead.
NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 09:21:32 AM »
Howdy
I'm with Bowiemaker on the distances . Pistol targets NO closer than 10 yards and rifle targets from 25 to 50 . Shooters want to hit targets if they miss lots of targets they aint HAPPY . It's all about having a safe and fun shoot .

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 10:33:05 AM »

I agree, Rowdy, but even at those distances actual target size has to be taken into consideration. For example, a 6-foot target at 10 yards is too big; a 4- or 6-inch target at 10 yards is too small.

As I see it, it's not only about size and it's not only about distance. The two have to work together. But you're 100% correct about shooters wanting to be reasonably able to hit their targets without having to use scopes and sandbags on their pistols.
NCOWS Marshal Retired
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com