Author Topic: 61' Navy Main Spring Replacement  (Read 5682 times)

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
61' Navy Main Spring Replacement
« on: March 24, 2015, 12:45:35 PM »
Recently bought a Navy Arms Uberti 61' Navy, unfired from the 70's. Beautiful gun: excellent timing, bluing, grips that if they're not walnut sure look like it, case hardening blue that is the best I've ever seen on a percussion revolver, and shoots great. While I'm a 44 caliber fan, I thought I'd get a companion for my lonely 51' Navy 36, always liked the lines of the 61' Navy too. Anyway, the mainspring hammer pull is the 'toughest' I've ever seen on a percussion revolver, stiffer than even my Walker and Dragoon. I'm wondering if the split mainspring offered by Wolff for Uberti revolvers would work on the 61' Navy. I got a Wolff mainspring years back for a EMF Dakota 45 Colt that had a nasty hammer pullback. Worked wonders on the EMF.

Being the frame size of the 61' is the same as a 51' Navy and 60' Army(to the best of my knowledge) shouldn't the Wolff offered by places such as Brownell's for Uberti's fit the 61' Navy as well? I checked VTI's website and they showed the same spring number for all the 51 and 60 frames (UB:000020), but for the 61' Navy the number was UB:070020. What would be the difference? Cimarron and Taylors website showed the same spring number for all the 51, 60, and 61 models. Being VTI shows a difference and Taylors and Cimarron show the same---what's up? Maybe there is a difference, what would it be? I checked Track of Wolf, Possible Shop, and Log Cabin Shop, none had any thing on-line. Any place else to check? The resistance of the hammer pull back is workable, but would like a softer one so the Mrs, a/k/a Famous Shoes, can shoot it. Wondering too, will the replacement Wolff springs with the split in the middle have enough force to detonate the percussion caps? Anybody ever do this Mx to their cap and balls? Any response greatly appreciated. Received the gun last Friday, cleaned it, and shot around 48 rounds through her-has been a cold winter, sure was nice to smell the smell of black powder smoke-hated to take a shower and wash that lovely smell from my being!!!!!! Crow Choker
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Jubal Starbuck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: 61' Navy Main Spring Replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 04:35:08 PM »
Greetings  Crow Choker!
      I have a couple  ideas for ye. First, regarding breakdowns, you  might check Gun Parts and second  you could check your '61 mainspring against the one for your '51 and maybe put the '51 mainspring in the '61 and try that.  If the stock '61 spring is too beefy
you can file down the edges some and retry also.  I'm thinkin' the Wolff spring may be too light to set off your caps.
      There is no charge for this advice and no salesman will call as this would only cause you to start talking German to yer dawg.
Endeavor to persevere,

Jubal Starbuck

Offline Thumb Buster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 04:41:34 PM »
Can't speak of Wolff springs but I have replaced main springs in both a Navy Arms Remington that was a bear to cock and an 1851 Pietta whose main spring was so light sometimes the cap strikes wouldn't work.  What I did was just order a few springs for both guns from Dixie Gun Works.  I got a couple for the Pietta and a couple for the Navy Arm '58.  Had to fit the Remington spring which was too long but the 1851 Pietta spring was a 'drop-in' and made all the difference in the world.  Don't see why the '61 would have a separate number from the '51 or '60.  If there's a reason for that I'd sure like to hear it and maybe learn something new.  Like you I've been eyeing the '61 as a companion to my lonely '51.  Then again my '60 might need a buddy also.  Hmmm!   ::)
"Those who pound their guns into plowshears will plow for those who didn't"  --Thomas Jefferson

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:30:46 AM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 05:48:23 PM »
A couple of things.  I don't know why VTI has different part numbers for the 61 as the 51, 60, and 61 all use the same mainspring.  (The 61 is just a 51 with a different barrel.)  The Wolff spring will fit.  (All springs sometimes need a little "fitting.")  Whether it will work depends on how well your gun is tuned.  If the gun has an action job and is smoothed out the Wolff spring will set off the caps.  HOWEVER, the Wolff spring may be to weak to conteract the gas blowback through the stock nipples.  Generally if you are going to lighted the mainspring you also need to replace the nipples.  Treso and the new Track of the Wolff nipples use a small vent hole to help keep gas from blowing out the vent hole.  The Slix nipples use holes on the side of the nipple to vent gas out the side so not so much is vented out the rear.

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 07:14:10 PM »
Crow Choker, tried to respond to this earlier, don't know what happened to it. Anyway, I have these parts laying around:
1. Wolfe Uberti "split" mainspring, Brownells part #969-322-850
2. Uberti 51 Navy takeoff-- brass backstrap, triggerguard and grip
3. Uberti steel backstrap, triggerguard and grip sold as a factory unit by VTI. This is the same unit they use on their cartridge guns and 61 Navies when equiped with steel parts
4. stock Uberti mainspring for 51,61 & 60
 All these parts interchanged(when keeping the backstrap and triggerguard together as a unit) and the Uberti & Wolfe mainsprings have the same general curved profile and screw hole location. A few years ago I bolted the steel backstrap, triggerguard and grip, along with a Wolfe mainspring, to a Uberti 51 Navy that I converted with a Kirst cylinder. Virtually no fitting was required.  Since the 51 and 61 frames are the same, you should have no problems.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 11:07:21 PM »
Thought of filing spring down, but if to much, then it's buy a new one anyway. Crossed my mind too, of taking spring out of 51', but time didn't allow it. I assumed/figured that the 51', 60', and 61' were all of the same frame size, as that is always what I've read. Navy Six, I may PM ya and check out yer 'stash'. Have a dentist appt in AM, will be unable to until some time in PM. I don't know why VTI would have different part numbers either, think I'll have to call em' and check it out and report to the masses. Thank you all. Was going to call ya Jubal and get yer input, but was busy doing things to satisfy the IRS. By the way, that old 51' brass trigger guard on my EMF Josey Wales burn gun is a tad oversize to fit on my Uberti '51. Have to call ya sometime later Wed. My hound likes to have me "Sprechen Sie Deutsche mit ilm"! "Haben sie eine gute nacht und eine guten tag!" ;D ;D ;D ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 01:32:36 PM »
I was going to chime in here and impart words of wisdom, but Pettifogger covered it so well, I really don't feel the need. 
I am however, a little bored today and as such feel the need for something to do.  ::)

Coffinmaker

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 02:37:55 PM »
Crow Choker, PM away!
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 03:27:48 PM »
Navy Six, I'll PM ya later.
There is a magazine where they always feature 'The dumb crook of the month', featuring some bozo who in his ignorance tries to pull off some illegality, only by his stupidity to get caught. Well boys, ya have here the 'dumb CAS member of the month' in yours truly. In my first post I went to great lengths trying to figure out why VTI had different numbers for the 51 and 60 mainsprings and the 61 another, being they were all of the same frame size. Went back to the VTI web intending to call them to find out why, checked the stock numbers again and 'lo and behold' all three models showed the same numbers. Wondering if they may have seen my post I rechecked another possibility. The '62 Police model on VTI's web page for Uberti revolvers is right below the 61 Navy's. In my haste and negligence, I must have clicked on the 62 because the spring number for the 62 is UB: 070020---the stock number FOR A UBERTI MODEL 1861 NAVY IS same as the 51 and 60 models, UB:000020. That clears that up!! My apologies! :-[ ::) :'( :o---I had no "Cuban ceegar to get me all riled up", "I'll endeavor to persevere", hoping in the future "To have a more harmonious outcome"!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 04:59:59 PM »
Just to throw another monkey wrench into the works, when I discovered a broken main spring on one of my Pietta '60 Armys, (the morning of the match, of course), I tired one from a Uberti '62 Police-fit and functioned perfectly!

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 05:46:20 PM »
Interchangeability among Colt type like parts is not at all uncommon within the original arms.
Finding the same interchangeability within Italian manufactures is also quite common, within individual makers. But this does not always cross over from one maker to another.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 06:40:40 PM »
I am holding a spring from a Uberti 62 (which is the same frame size as a 49 pocket) and it is significantly smaller than a 51 spring.  A 62 Pietta spring is the same as a 51 since it is in reality a short model 61 rather than a true 62.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 09:38:54 PM »
Ah true.  The Pietta '62 is just a '51 with a half fluted cylinder and a wonky ('60) barrel assembly in 36 Cal.  And when you buy a pair of Pietta '62s, sight unseen (I know - dumb) and find one of the cylinders is hosed along with the one side of the same guns's barrel (pry-bar disassembly tool), you can replace the half flute cylinders with plain round cylinders and instantly have an 1861.
Try that with your jam and fudge Uberti Colt replica.  Ha Ha He He Ho Ho there coming to take me away Ha Ha .............

Coffinmaker

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 08:42:44 PM »
To: Navy Six and the rest of the crew 'bellied up to the bar' readin' this!
 Replaced the spring in the 61' Navy I previously posted with a Wolfe that I purchased from Navy Six. Fit fine, except I had to enlarge the screw hole on it that allows the spring to be attached to the trigger guard. Shot around 30 rounds, performed flawlessly. Detonated all caps, fired caps stayed on the nipples (ie not falling into the guts of the gun), and the hammer comes back nice. The Mrs (a/k/a Famous Shoes) is well pleased with the change. I told her I bought the gun and made the change "just" for her. Might be a few guns in the future "just for her" too. She didn't fall for it, but thanked me anyway. Anywhoo, as Rifle says (where is he), thought I'd report on the progress. Thanks again Navy Six for your fine service and sellin' me that Wolfe!  Yours, Crow Choker
Famous Shoes::: Hung on her by Mr Jubal Starbuck because of her large collection of shoes that are always sitting here and there around the house. I told her she puts Imelda Marcos to shame!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com