Author Topic: Reproduction Stabler?  (Read 4199 times)

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
Reproduction Stabler?
« on: March 21, 2015, 12:53:03 PM »
My used Armi Sport Spencer came with a Stabler cut-off, but it appears to either have been modified or worn down because it does not function properly.  The end of the device that should engage on the upper block looks like it has been filed down.  I wonder if the prior owner didn't like it or didn't want it to accidentely engage.

I don't care very much--I kind of doubt I would use it much--but I wouldn't mind having a replacement if it wasn't too costly.  I don't see it listed in the parts diagrams that I've looked at from the parts suppliers.  I see where I can get an original, but even $25 (plus shipping) is more than I'm ready to spend at this time.  I'm mentioning this in case someone has one lying around or if there is another supplier that has reproduction replacements.

Obviously this is only a minor interest of mine at this point.

Thanks.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Reproduction Stabler?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 02:13:49 PM »
I have not kept up to date on the changes Armi Sport has made to there Spencer firearms.
Perhaps you could describe/explain the type/style of extractor system your Carbine is using? Along with any other modification. Photos would be a good thing.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 04:00:49 PM »
Thanks, Blair.  You're one of those from whom I've learned the most.

Since I'm pretty ignorant here, I'm posting some pictures.  Here is the extractor.  I don't know the names of the different types.  What type is this?

I'll create a second post with photos of the Stabler and upper block.

Thanks again.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:50:42 AM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 04:01:53 PM »
Here are pictures of the Stabler device and the top of the upper block.  Am I correct in thinking that the end of the Stabler "switch" has been shortened?  Also, is it supposed to engage the upper block at the end of the lever stroke?  (Sorry for my ignorance regarding correct terminology.)

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 06:24:51 PM »
As far as I know only the very early 44 Russian AS Spencers came with a cut off.Has the lower block been cut for a cut-off(A square cut groove that allows the engauged cut-off to slide in the groove until it is stoped by the upper block)if not it can not be made to work.I suspect it has been added for looks and had to be ground down so when in the on position the action could be worked,if this is the case I would get rid of it and replace or shorten the cut-off screw.Why the upper block has been  modified I have no idea and suspect this makes feeding from the magazine less smooth

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 06:45:35 PM »
You know, Herbert, I think you're right.  I'm attaching another photo showing the lever slightly open.  There is no modification to the lower block and it wouldn't clear if the Stabler was any longer.  (In my defense, the screw slot damage was there before I got the gun.)  I'm not sure if that screw is even stock.  I'll probably cut down the screw, then order a new one when I do a parts order next.

I appreciate the help.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 08:25:41 AM »
CCG,

The lower breech block uses a Lane type extractor, which also serves as a cartridge stop for the ammo feeding from the mag. tube.
That model variant does not use the Stapler cutoff system.
That model cutoff system is mover to the top of the receiver and serves also as the cartridge guide. If you wanted to stop the feeding from the mag. tube, you would move the hinged guide to the right, and it would engage the Lane extractor before the action was completely open. Stopping the feed from the Mag. and allowing the firearm to be single loaded.

To me, it looks like someone tried to make your carbine into the earlier M-1865 Spencer.

Have you gotten a copy of Marcot's book on Spencer's yet? It will help you gain a better understanding of the original Spencer firearms. I can't say how much it will help with the Armi Sport.
My best,
 Blair 
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 08:50:15 AM »
Thank you again, gentlemen.  I very much appreciate the information.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline KEN S

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 09:04:40 AM »
I have an original Burnside carbine with the Stabler.   it would not work and parts looked sharp.  it had the centerfire block installed.  I solved the problem by putting a 1/4 by 1/4 inch piece of hard nylon under the block.  It prevents the block from lowering just a bit.  it works perfectly, and has been there a year through dozens of range times.
  invisible, and no cost.  and it can be removed if I ever want. 
   open the action, look at the distance between the block and the lower section, and put it to the rear. 
   Ken

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 04:41:37 PM »
That cut-off may have been added to fix a over travel problem( would have been better to add metal to the front of the trigger plate for a permanent fix)

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 09:46:13 AM »
That's possible, Herbert.  I'll take a look at that.  Thanks.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com