Author Topic: 1860 R/M Cimmeron conversion cartridges dragging on backing plate  (Read 2726 times)

Offline john bange

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
with a load of 5, 38 sp. rounds, the gun is a little hard to cock due to the base of the cartridges scraping on the backing plate.  I do not have high primers.  the cases are free in the chambers and are seated all the way in.
will this free up and go away with use?  the cylinder will revolve with a little help but, it is hard on the cocking and revolving mechanism.
Uberti 1873 30"rifle 44/40

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
Re: 1860 R/M Cimmeron conversion cartridges dragging on backing plate
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 12:10:51 PM »
First, put an empty resized .38 case in and see if it rotates okay.  If it does, then the problem is with the ammo.  If it hangs up, then try to notice at what point it is rubbing against the recoil shield or loading gate.  That would be a good start.  The 1860 R-M's that are chambered in .38 are actually the same frame and cylinder as the '51 R-M, with the Army style barrel and grip.

Offline john bange

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 12:18:05 PM »
doing with my reloads as well as factory ammo...gonna contact Cimmeron

Advertising

Offline john bange

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 12:41:44 PM »
fixed it...quit being timid and got a file out...the top part of the recoil plate had a tiny ridge where the loading gate hinge was...took it off and it cycles perfectly...loading one case and spinning it showed me the place it was hanging up.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 09:30:27 PM »
Had similar problem with Open Top (44 Spec/Colt). After firing several rounds, I couldn't rotate cylinder with hammer, difficult even with help with free hand. Noticed cases, which were new Starline, after firing them had circular half rings on bottom of case. Found a 'metal burr' on left corner of recoil shield. Stoned it off and no further problems.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com