Author Topic: Back to Shooting!  (Read 9239 times)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Back to Shooting!
« on: March 20, 2015, 06:51:49 AM »
Yesterday was the first trip out to the range for some shooting this yr. Only brought one rifle , my old 1876 Winchester in 45/60 wcf. Conditions were not the best for iron sights  as it was very dim and overcast , but no wind and temp was in the 60's . Felt a bit awkward at first ,was my first time to shoot since I broke my right hand wrist and fore arm.  After about 10 rounds down range , felt like I was back to normal almost.  Well nothing to brag about , but was able to keep most of my shots in the 3" black at 50 yds. As usual was shooting cast bullet @  296 gr. @ .459 from a Winchester 45/60 mould  61 gr. by weight 2ffg Swiss, std. LG. rifle primer , Jamison brass, lube home brew 50/50 wax tallow, assembled in the Winchester tong tool.  Shot the 20 loaded rounds that I brought then re-loaded the 20 empties at the bench with said tool, and proceeded to duplicate my first target as for accuracy . Had plenty of questions from interested fellow shooters  during my shoot about the old rifle and loading tools . Was glad to answer as best as I could and looks like a couple left the range that day with a new spark for BP. cartridge guns. To sum it up was a very pleasant relaxing and productive day a shooting. Hope to see Y'all at the range soon! ,,,Dusty

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
Re: Back to Shooting!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 07:45:40 AM »
Mr. Dusty,

Good to hear from ya and that you are doing better!!  Sounds like a great day at the range!!  Hope all keeps going right and more trips to the range come along soon.

P.B.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 07:57:14 AM »
Excellent DT! As always, pic's or it didn't happen. ;D
King Medallion

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:09:15 AM »

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 09:09:06 AM »
 ;D  I'm not sure where dusty texian could have fit a camera- by the sounds of it, his range bag was full.  Oh, wait, all you modern folks have them on your phones (no cell service up here, so not an issue.

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 04:13:54 PM »
Glad to hear that you are up and about and mobile again.  Hope everything did heal properly for complete mobility.

Good luck.

BRS
Black River Smith

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 05:23:40 PM »
Thank you all , for the good wishes for recovery. Not up to full use yet but (can use it ) and that is a big step. Mr Pinto  Beans you bet it was a good day after being cooped up so long ,just getting out was great. King Ole Pard you are gonna have to torch me on this one , I didn't take any photographs. But will take two next time.  matt45 I was loaded down ,I bring more junk with me than should be allowed . BRS I'm getting more mobile by the day ! Have enough hand strength to work the old tong tools. Have you been able to use your old reloading tools as of late ?.,,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 01:47:50 PM »
Had a short trip to the range this morning to test some loads for my 1876 Winchester 45/60 wcf. Only brought 12 count 6 of each test round. The wind was a bit strong but the sun was shining on the range very good for my sight picture . Here is a pic. of the best groups from the# 2 test loads. The 3 shot group on the left @ 50 yd. was one ragged hole and the 3 shot group off the target in wood was @ 100yd. This old 76 likes this load . ,,,,,,,DT

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 03:11:05 PM »
Hey Mr. DT,

I would write that load down!!  Very nice shooting!!

PB

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 03:35:05 PM »
 ;D
King Medallion

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 04:23:01 PM »
Dusty
Keep up the good work . Looks like your 45-60 is one sweet shoot rifle . Hows those Texas Turkeys doing ? About that time .  ;D ;D

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 08:31:46 AM »
Lots of birds Rowdy . Its warmed up enough for them, and they are going at it right now. Season starts on Sat. in the North zone . Our first hunts will start about a wk. from now. Good luck with your hunting.,,,,DT

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 10:13:22 PM »
Dusty,

Noticed your question about the Winchester reloading tool.  I have not loaded any BP cartridges at this time because I am working on making a copper measuring scoop for the correct amount of powder and the 457191 lyman bullet.

I did create some dummy rounds and with my thinned 45/70 rims, the OAL's came out exactly 2.25" with a nice tight crimp (bullet does not spin) over the leading ring.  I am happy with its' potential for creating a nice original cartridge.  I still use an orginal 44/40 winchester loader and an original winchester bullet mold for my original 1873 and SAA repros.  I would not use anything else for that caliber.

I am torn between using smokeless or BP for this rifle.  I have strictly used BP for all CAS guns since 1994.  But, I am thinking I will have to have two batches of brass, one for smokeless and modern reloading and a second for BP and the original pliers tool.
Black River Smith

Offline frimath

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 12:42:11 PM »
Hey Dusty!!!
                           That is some really fine accuracy with the 61 grains of the FF Swiss. I've been meaning to try that Swiss powder for years but its not so easy to come across up here in the Northeast (NY,NJ). I've been using the Goex for years with a 5 grain smokeless load of 4759 as a base charge. I should post my groups and results, just have to figure out how to post the photos.

I also have one of the "nutcracker" re-loading tools made for the 45-75. It does a pretty nice job of putting together a finished and loaded round.  I just lovvvve the '76s. I'm only shooting the re-pros now for fear of something terrible happening to the originals I've owned over the years. I couldn't afford the heartbreak much less the small fortune those things are now going for these days.

Johnny F

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 02:03:16 PM »
Black River Smith  would like to see that powder measure when you get finished making it and some shooting results. Just loaded up some more of the last test loads that shot so good the other day. Will try and shoot on Friday if the weather allows. If they do as well as before ,I'll post the load details.  Good Shooting ,,,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 02:18:35 PM »
Hey Dusty!!!
                           That is some really fine accuracy with the 61 grains of the FF Swiss. I've been meaning to try that Swiss powder for years but its not so easy to come across up here in the Northeast (NY,NJ). I've been using the Goex for years with a 5 grain smokeless load of 4759 as a base charge. I should post my groups and results, just have to figure out how to post the photos.

I also have one of the "nutcracker" re-loading tools made for the 45-75. It does a pretty nice job of putting together a finished and loaded round.  I just lovvvve the '76s. I'm only shooting the re-pros now for fear of something terrible happening to the originals I've owned over the years. I couldn't afford the heartbreak much less the small fortune those things are now going for these days.

Johnny F Hello JF . Thanks for the compliment . Do you duplex load for a better clean burn? I do agree the old tong tools are very handy ,I often wonder if I should not shoot my old 76 Winchesters ,but the amount that I do shoot them and also using as close to factory spec. ammo as I can make, I think I am doing them no harm. My choice of choosing the 45/60 and 40/60 wcf for the most part of my just for fun shooting is because they are so much milder and less stress on the old 76s.But my 45/75 and my 50/95 get shot as well. They are in a different class of power in my opinion. And that much blast is just not required for some range fun. Good Shooting ,,,,DT

Offline curdog

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 09:47:54 PM »
Dusty good to see you shooting again. I always like to see your post on 76's here and over at lever guns forum.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 04:35:31 AM »
Thanks  curdog . It sure feels good to be able to shoot again. Bunch of Good Folks at Lever Guns Forum and here. Good Shooting ,,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 08:44:35 AM »
Got in a bit of range time late yesterday eve. The light was not the best and the temp. was still around 90 summer in Tx. Had to try the latest batch of Paper Patch 45/60wcf loads. Started with 350 gr. slick side .441 pure lead bullets and used onion skin paper to patch up to a dried .460. These bullets are hand seated over 57 gr. 2ff Swiss bp. that has been 3/16" compressed , std. primer, no greaselube. I wiped the bore on my 28" oct. barrel M76 fired a 5 shot group and wiped after each shot with a dry barrel . The load produced a 3-1/2 " 5 shot group @ 100yd. I was very happy with the load and plan to try this PP load again in better light and more time for shooting I think the rifle and load can do better , but that is about the best I can do even with good sights. The oal. on these loads are way out there and have to be single shot loaded in the M76 .  Just having fun with the old guns , Thats what its all about for me,,,,,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 12:43:30 PM »
At the range today again with the M76 reduced charge rifle or 45/60wcf. Went down two gr. with the powder charge and added a 030" veg. wad. under the paper patch bullet. The rifle was shot off sand bags @ 50yd. and gave a very decent group. ,,,,DT

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2015, 08:31:40 PM »
DT,

This is a response to a March posting.  I stated that I was going to attempt to make a scoop for the 45/60 and reloading tool.  Well after my second attempt I was satisfied with the result.  The wall thickness and diameter are larger than an original but this was due to only being able to hand drill and grind the hole.  I started with a 5/8" brass rod and ended with a 13/32" hole 1 11/16" deep.  The outside bottom is semi-flat rather than fully curved.  It measures 61 grains as compared to my factory BP measure.

See attached pictures.
Black River Smith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com