Author Topic: Uberti NMA Conversion Hand problem  (Read 5354 times)

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lars Olsson Photography
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti NMA Conversion Hand problem
« on: March 07, 2015, 07:56:23 PM »
Howdy folks! I have a Taylor's Uberti NMA conversion in .44-40. Broke the hand spring, and decided to replace the hand with a new one. Ordered it from VTI. Got the new part, and installed it, but cannot fully cock the hammer. I know these parts require fitting. The hammer will got to half cock, but will not go all the way to full. Haven't tried it yet with the cylinder, and won't till I get this problem licked. I know how to adjust for timing, but how do I get it to full cock?   ???

Swede

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1201
Re: Uberti NMA Conversion Hand problem
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 09:19:44 PM »
Howdy Swede,
I don't know if this will help as it is an occasional issue with the Colt style conversions.  Sometimes when the cylinder is out the hand goes too far forward in the hand channel and hangs up when trying to cock.  If you push the hand backwards from the front as you cock, it goes to full cock.  Not really a problem since it works okay when the cylinder is in place to keep the hand back in its place  It would be nice if it were something that simple on yours  :)

If that's not it, I'd compare the new hand to the old one to see if any obvious difference in some dimension.

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lars Olsson Photography
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 03:40:22 AM »
Thanks for the answer Abilene. As I said the cylinder has not been installed yet. I did compare, and did some filing. I am just not sure why it will still not go to full cock?  ???

Swede

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:02:00 PM »

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 06:09:36 PM »
The cylinder ratchet holds the hand further to the rear and it is pulled back from the frame window as you cock the gun. The hand, without the cylinder, is pushed too far forward by the spring without the cylinder in place, and it gets tangled up with the top of the frame window, if I recall, with the spring behind and the hand in front of the slot,. so it can't allow the hammer to go all the way back.

With the cylinder out, cock the hammer, but hold the nose of the hand rearward with a finger, you will find that it will cock fully.  Don't cut on any metsal until you know there really is a problem,,,
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 05:47:10 PM »
The cylinder ratchet holds the hand further to the rear and it is pulled back from the frame window as you cock the gun. The hand, without the cylinder, is pushed too far forward by the spring without the cylinder in place, and it gets tangled up with the top of the frame window, if I recall, with the spring behind and the hand in front of the slot,. so it can't allow the hammer to go all the way back.

With the cylinder out, cock the hammer, but hold the nose of the hand rearward with a finger, you will find that it will cock fully.  Don't cut on any metsal until you know there really is a problem,,,

Correct.  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com