Author Topic: *** Photos Added *** Blakeslee Cartridge Case upgrade  (Read 3300 times)

Offline KEN S

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
*** Photos Added *** Blakeslee Cartridge Case upgrade
« on: March 06, 2015, 11:44:26 AM »
OK..It's snowing (another foot) again on Cape Cod.  so, with nothing to do...I upgraded my $99 Blakeslee Ctg Box. I just got.

If you look at the original, it has a metal lip around the end of each tube.  Protects it and makes it easier to grab.

How to do it?
     I went to the hardware store, and in the electrical dept. I found a part, made of a non ferrous metal, easy to work and
cut, and I bought two at .99 each.  two bucks... nice, but don't solder it...it may be too soft.

I cut a 1/8 or so slice piece of each, six in total ...(cut them bigger so you have some to work with) fit , sanded and  filed and got them to fit the end of the tubes very tightly, easy because they're a close fit anyway,   and then epoxied them in place. sand the tube and ring so epoxy had a clean rough service to grab.
 tricks.....  get a copper plumbing end as pictured to make it easy to sand, and make a wooden plug or use a pair of needle nose pliers to push in and round off before the glue sets.  You want the inside to be a tight fits to the rim you just made, and smooth so the bullets slide in.   The electrical part is the perfect size. (bring a tube with you).  
  Next,  to keep the belt in place, as per the originals, I used an old black belt (It shrunk in the closet and doesn't fit anymore!)
and cut and saddle-stitched two belt type loops to keep the strap tight.  
   When the epoxy is dry, and during the next snowstorm...Monday...I'll hand sand and made them look nice and smooth and polished.  Remember, epoxy does NOT like heat... so go slow.  

(Photos Posted by Two Flints)

Good luck....Ken

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: *** Photos Added *** Blakeslee Cartridge Case upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 04:42:46 PM »
Ken,

It is standard operating procedure (SOP) while working with sheet metal to turn, roll or brake the edge of any cut or sheered sheet metal.
This helped prevent exposed sharp cutting edges but also helped to strengthen the open end from denting, bending and other damage.
If the maker had fallowed this SOP, you would not be needing to add this thin lip of Aluminum pot metal to your tubes.

I am not suggesting what you are doing is a bad idea. It is, however, a shame that you need to do it.
(so much for winter and being snowed in)
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline KEN S

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 06:31:50 AM »
Hi Blaire.  no biggie.  kind of fun to do it and no cost anyway.  I like the look.
  The other option was the higher priced one at almost $300 and I hear that has
aluminum tubes...Lets face it, who of us has not worked on our guns, moulds, bullets,
etc to make them better anyway...The leather work is very good on this thing though..
    Keep in mind, I really have no use for the loader other than range time...and remember
our credo as gun nuts..
     I LIKE IT, I WANT IT, AND I WANT IT NOW!   

Maybe I'll wear it shoveling snow!   HA    Ken

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:49:17 AM »

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 09:48:56 AM »
Those electrical parts look like romex connectors- am I correct?  I've got to go to the hardware store today (40 miles away).

Offline KEN S

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 10:11:54 AM »
I think so Matt.
     I brought a tube to the H ware store and my friendly guy, stopped selling snow shovels and salt, and helped me
I found them in the electrical dept.  two did it.  It may even have been part of some conduit thingy..not sure.  but they're there.
   He let me have two for two bucks...total.
    they are pot metal, and ez to cut and fashion. Look nice.  I just epoxied a and then polished them flush, and they work great.

So, I had a choice.  shovel more snow off the roof,  talk to my wife...or make these...
      I also found a way to true up the tubes.  A piece of 1//2 inch copper pipe fits perfectly inside.
   put the pipe in, and put the tube on a flat service. metal works best, and full length of the tube, and push down and roll.
   I even tapped, (I said TAPPED!)  the tube with a piece of hard wood.  You can roll it over the tube too.
  In any case,  The tube, which before caught the shells a little, now is straight, and the shells fall in and out.
    I found Starline 56 50 shells work best.  Some old ones I have seem to all catch.  (shell rim width???)
   good luck,,go slow...Ken

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 08:15:41 PM »
 ;D Cool
  Thanks- great ideas and am going to impinge on your patents.  The royalty check is coming ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com