Author Topic: Original 1873 1st Model issues  (Read 2685 times)

Offline anders22

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Original 1873 1st Model issues
« on: March 06, 2015, 10:16:31 AM »
Ok all, I just picked up an original 1873, 1st model in 44-40....

It was reblued so this will be a shooter...

As such I have been going over the gun, and besides cleaning the bore like crazy, there is an issue with the finger lever.

It does not close far enough to engage the lever lock unless I screw it out a good bit- like 1/4 of an inch.

It seems to lock up fine but that makes me wonder.  Also the lever hangs just a bit, thinking new spring to tighten it up.

Also the carrier does not smoothly function, you have to work the lever pretty good...spring perhaps?

Thoughts?

Thank you
Chris

Offline scrubby2009

• Very Active Citizen
  • Lifelong obsession with '73's
  • Liked:
Re: Original 1873 1st Model issues
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 11:25:15 PM »
Still here Chris? I've got two ironframe 1st series rifles. Both of them really like to be cycled "in anger". I just slap them open and shut and enjoy cracking off rounds. If you have learned anything about "slicking" a 1st Series tho, I'm all ears!
Responsive, timely, tactically accurate, and strategically precise fire.

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 09:29:47 PM »
There is no difference between a 1st model, 2nd model, or third model '73, when working the action.  They are all the same.  The only difference you might feel in these models, would depend on the wear each gun has.  When they were new, they all worked exactly the same.  If I understand your problem correctly, it sounds like the lever won't fit flat against the bottom tang, without appling pressure?    If this is the case, the lever is probably bent.  It should fit tight against the bottom tang, one end to the other all along the length of the bow.  This dosen't have anything to do with lever or carrier arm springs.  Lever latch should hold it fine with just two or three turns.  It's easy to fix, but unless you've done it before, you should probably take it to someone who has a good working knowledge of an original '73.  These are wonderful guns and work flawlessly with little effort, unless they're worn out.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:05:32 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com