Author Topic: Looking for opinions on some 1860 work  (Read 8142 times)

Offline jahwarrior1423

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Looking for opinions on some 1860 work
« on: February 27, 2015, 09:39:09 PM »
I just bought my brother in laws Uberti 1860 Army...he thought he would use it more but has shot it twice in the past 3yrs. So I talked him into selling it to me. So that makes 3 1860 Armies that I own.

I am wanting to take this revolver and possibly do some "custom" work.

Have any of you done anything to get a better sight picture?...

I looked on Lee's Gunsmithing website and he can notch the rear more and add a new front post. Any of you done that?

What other things would you have Lee's Gunsmithing do if you were to send them a revolver?

Not too worried about keeping it original looking since I have 2 others...1 that has never been shot.

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
Re: Looking for opinions on some 1860 work
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 03:06:51 AM »
Congrats on your M 1860 pattern pistols.
One can never have enough of these elegant C&B revolvers.
First I would have the arbor adjusted to proper length. It is most likely too short.
Second I would have the chambers' dia reamed out to the rifling groove dia because they come from the factory "under-sized".
Once that's done shoot them to see if the sights need to be adjusted.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 10:25:36 PM »
There is no end to the damage you can do to your 1860 in such a rapid time once you get a Dremel tool.

Having said that, I have widened the rear sights on multiple Colt style repros in order to get them to shoot to POA. I have also used a bench grinder and ground down the top of the hammer to lower the rear sight in guns that shot high (be careful if there is little room for grinding if the barrel shows above the cylinder when aiming). After grinding down the hammer top you recut the notch with the Dremel cutoff wheel. I've also tapped out the front sights and epoxied in taller front sights made of brass shim material and shaped to form a decent looking front sight for guns that shot high. For windage problems you can recut the rear notch a little to one side or better yet, have a dovetailed front sight installed. Many original Colts eventually ended up with dovetailed front sights.

Remember: the lesson that hurts, teaches. Have at it if you dare.  ;D
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:16:12 AM »

Offline jahwarrior1423

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 12:40:32 AM »
No work would be done by myself...only a qualified gunsmith

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 09:16:17 AM »
I would search through the Blackpowder and "open tops" sections on this site, lots of info there. You can adjust the arbor length simply by putting some washers in the arbor hole, but as to where to find the thin washers required, well, that's why you need to search there. I only have Pietta 1860s and they don't tend to have the arbor problem as much as Uberti. Mine shot fine for elevation, butr I had to file one side of the hammer notch to center the groups.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 08:13:28 PM »
There's a saying I have learned to be true: eventually Italian reproductions makes gunsmiths of us all.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 12:27:49 PM »
Italian Reproductions tend to be "Kits."  Well packaged "kits."
If your contemplating sending it to Lee's Gunsmithing aka: Rowdy Yates, a Uberti has issues.  Address them all at the same time.  Once apart, these issues can be resolved rather simply.
1.  Fix the Arbor/Barrel fit.
2.  Have a complete action job done (includes replacing the "truck springs"
3.  Have "Cap Guards" installed.
4.  Swap out the Uberti nipples for SlixShot.
The above will insure reliability and increase User Friendliness to the point of joy.  Unless your talking about an "Original" 1860 Colt, trying to keep them "original" is silly.  An "original" Uberti is still an Italian reproduction.  Make your guns user friendly then take them out for a walk.  They were, after all, manufactured specifically to be played with.  A lot like a Tonka Truck.  Keeping it pristine serves no useful purpose.  PLAY with your toys!!!!

Coffinmaker

Offline jahwarrior1423

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 02:11:25 PM »
I did order a set of slixshot nipples...going to send off the revolver with them installed.

Offline rifle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 11:42:14 AM »
These Hombre know their stuff bout the Army Colts.  Warms my ole heart.
Never used a Dremel much on them. Diamond files are safer.  :D

Thin washers fer fillin in the barrels arbor hole? Fender washers they are often called. Thin with a little hole in them.  I find them at Hardware stores or the stores like Lowes in the screw/washer sections. The lil hole lets them be picked back out the barrel hole after they are sized with a file(impossible to get them perfectly round) but....that makes them stick in there without falling out but lets them be picked back out the hole if needed.

Tunin and trigger jobs? I have re-done several that were done half/arse by a pro. There is a way that is considered "THE WAY" by the pros...some of them.
I do it the hard way cause I'm nuts but "THE WAY" they do it is a good way. I like to angle PART of the hammers full cock notch but the pros that are in the know like to angle the back of the trigger tip.

That is easier ifin you know the difference between positive and negative and neutral angles to the trigger and hammer notch and leave enough of the original tip to the trigger.

Gonna have a trigger job as part of the "TUNE" then ask the gunsmith what exactly does he do to those parts of your gun.  Don't let them tell you it's a trade secrete.

Yer hard earned money ain't a trade secrete and just buffin the parts to do a quicky njob ain't a trade secrete neither..

You worked yer arse off fer that money.

You have a right to know what they are actually doing to yer gun. Every single step in the process should be thunked on by the owner.

Am I right or just dreamin? I do have a vivid imagination. There seems to be as many ways to tune a single action and the trigger as there are daisies in the weed patch.

The right way fer the trigger?
Check the angles to the trigger and the hammer notch(leave them alil positive) and then make them right and then....angle the back of the trigger down to get rid of creep and have a nice...."breaks like a glass rod"  trigger pull. I like the hard way and angle the front of the hammer notch instead of the trigger tip but.....that's just me and I ain't no pro. The springs need adjusted sometimes too. All that stuff.

Just sayin....know what's being done to yer gun. Know specifically what you want done to it too. Almost like yer gonna do it yer self.  :o :o

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 12:55:24 PM »
I modified afew, added taller front sights and widened the rear, see photos.

Front dovetail sight, not yet cut to match barrel shape. (on an 1851)

recut rear notch, front sight in process.

Front sight, insert style. (1860)  Have done dovetails on 1860's as well, easier to deal with, zero before shaping to barrel.

The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 03:36:42 PM »
Flint, did you make the solid brass dovetail sight? I like it!!  :o  ;)

Offline Rooster Ron Wayne

• Rooster
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !
  • SASS #: 86029
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 06:46:21 AM »
Mike at Goonsgunworks is great with Cap Guns .
Goonsgunworks@Gmail
Just sayin
Rosster
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 03:59:04 PM »
Raven's Roost Gunsmithing is a division of Kirst Konverter LLC that specializes in producing custom-made Old West firearms using the same techniques as the old masters. Owners Jay Strite and Walt Kirst design and create some of the finest firearms that you'll ever find for sale. Whether it's producing a replica of a famous revolver you've seen in a collector's book or bringing your own unique design to life, Raven's Roost can create a beautiful Old West revolver that most people only dream of owning. Complete cased sets with all the accoutrements are also available for collectors who are only interested in the highest quality historical revolvers at a price that is still within reach for most firearm connoisseurs.

http://www.kirstkonverter.com/special-order-firearms.html

This is where I take my guns for a custom fit and function work.  I highly recommend them.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com