Author Topic: Remember This? FREE Plans Available.  (Read 13828 times)

Offline Pojoaque Pete

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Remember This? FREE Plans Available. Yes I Do!!!!
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2005, 11:31:34 PM »
Hi Badlands - Just signed up here on CAS City. Thought you might like to see what I did with your plans, just finished it tonight!   

http://community.webshots.com/album/505008874XMyxwM

I hot-rodded it a little, used light weight pneumatic tires, 3/16 birch plywood for the body, and trimmed down the frame and lowered it a little. It's still strong enough for me to stand in it! Thanks again!

PP
Pojoaque Pete
SASS #60822
NRA Life

PWDFR POSSE

Re: Remember This? FREE Plans Available.
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2005, 08:03:36 AM »
WOW!  That is too cool pard!  This is the first one I have actually seen that the plans were sent out for! ;)  Ya done real good Amigo & thanks for sharin' that!  Iffn' ya don't mind, I think I'll put that pic & your alias on my website if that's ok with you! 8)

Offline Pojoaque Pete

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2005, 09:27:46 PM »
Hi Badlands - Sure, go ahead and post it, and thanks for the kind words. Took me a while to finish it, but I enjoyed building it. Now to get it out and use it, I think it will just fit in the back of my Cherokee, going to try it out this weekend.  ;D

Here's a couple more views:
Pojoaque Pete
SASS #60822
NRA Life

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 08:10:54 PM »

PWDFR POSSE

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2005, 10:29:29 AM »
I am honored that you would build a copy of my design & I thank ya for sharin' pard! ;)

Offline Doc Toetag

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2005, 12:46:26 PM »
Hello,
 I too have been one of the lucky recipients of Badlands plans and with my 12/01 paycheck will be buying the materials to begin the project. I have a couple questions for you,
1: what size and brand pneumatic wheels did you use & supplier if possible?
2: would you be willing to share the dimensions of the cut down frame and any other mods?
3: with the 3/16 birch ply did you use nails instead of of screws?
4: What did you use for an axle? Looks in pics different from badlands design.

I don't know if I want to change fron the real wagon wheels or not but may have to due to cost.

Badlands, thank you again for the plans I cant wait to get started on the project. I tried e-mailing th egentleman for a quote on the axles with the E-mail address in the plans and have never recieved a reply. do you know if this is still a good address and he is just busy?

Anyway, I thank you in advance for your help
Doc Toetag
SASS #58730
USPSA #A-45666

PWDFR POSSE

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2005, 10:23:25 PM »
Sent ya a PM Doc! ;)

PWDFR POSSE

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2005, 10:29:34 PM »
Hello,
 I too have been one of the lucky recipients of Badlands plans and with my 12/01 paycheck will be buying the materials to begin the project. I have a couple questions for you,
1: what size and brand pneumatic wheels did you use & supplier if possible?
2: would you be willing to share the dimensions of the cut down frame and any other mods?
3: with the 3/16 birch ply did you use nails instead of of screws?
4: What did you use for an axle? Looks in pics different from badlands design.

I don't know if I want to change fron the real wagon wheels or not but may have to due to cost.

Badlands, thank you again for the plans I cant wait to get started on the project. I tried e-mailing th egentleman for a quote on the axles with the E-mail address in the plans and have never recieved a reply. do you know if this is still a good address and he is just busy?

Anyway, I thank you in advance for your help
Doc Toetag

That was the biggest cost Doc.  I just couldn't locate real wagon wheels that would do the trick at a cheap price!  I tried several & they just didn't hold up!  The wheels made by the Amish were perfect, but the cost made it too expensive to build & sell as an affordable item!  :-\

Offline Pojoaque Pete

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2005, 11:13:24 PM »
Hi Doc - Building the coach was quite a job, but fun. All of the outside dimensions are from the original plans, except the wheelbase (see below)

I got the tires from Northern Tool and Equipment, www.northerntool.com
155121-1505 for the 20 inch and 155123-1505 for the 16 inch.

I cut the lumber for the frame on my table saw from fir 2x6s. I just found the cleanest and straightest at Lowes and trimmed them down to  to 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 inches (actual) so there are no knots. The coach box is 3/16 birch plywood glued and stapled (with an air stapler) to a 1x1 inch frame made from frame leftovers. To keep the center of gravity low with the lightened coach, I mounted the body lower, but this caused the wheels to hit on a tight turn and the body to climb up on the rubber tires, tipping it over. I didn't discover this until the box was all finished, so I moved the front pivot point forward until the wheels cleared. If I was doing it over, I would trim the body to clear the tires or mount it highter to keep the wheelbase short for better maneuvering. The whole thing is screwed together, so I can take it apart and change things as time goes by.

The sides of the gun rack are also 3/16 plywood, the top and bottom pieces are made from 1x6s. The roof is a 3/8 x 1 1/4 frame covered in 3/16 plywood. I then covered this with thin polyester batting and tan vinyl. It gets too hot here in New Mexico for a black roof.

The axles are 1/2" all-thread mounted in a groove dadoed into another piece of guess what? Clear fir. They go all the way across. I put the wheels on with pins to make them and the axles removeable. This thing is wide! It will not fit through a normal doorway assembled. I'm going to have to a little shed outside to store it in.

The wheels are made for bicyles and have very nice bearings, I may have to put a real brake on it, it rolls so easily, I left off the fake one to save weight. Also, the hubs on these wheels are not as wide as the originals, but I kept the same outside dimensions (width) for stability.

I'm working on a web site to post more photos on, but it will take a while. I've got a hot rod to finish now that the stagecoach is done.

Good Luck,

PP
Pojoaque Pete
SASS #60822
NRA Life

Offline Doc Toetag

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2005, 12:53:31 AM »
Thanks to both of you for your help, I may go with the pneumatic wheels to save cost and because my local club has a rather rocky terrain. Just have to make up my mind.....
Doc Toetag
SASS #58730
USPSA #A-45666

Offline hawk167

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2005, 08:18:08 AM »
Great stuff!.........Reminds me of my first car!

Would like to scale 'er down and make a table lamp!

PWDFR POSSE

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2005, 01:33:29 PM »
There was a pard a few months back sayin' the same thing that he was gonna size em' down & make a pair of table lamps.  I never heard no more about it???  Bet those would look pretty cool huh?  8)

Offline Doc Toetag

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2006, 01:53:05 PM »
Badlands,
  Just a note to let you know construction will be starting on another of these soon.
I had a serious illness side line for quite a while and was unable to anything CAS related. But I'm back and as soon as the snow is gone here
in No. California (Aug by the way things are going ;D) Construction will begin. Thank you again for the plans and when it's done, I'll send you some photos.
Doc Toetag
SASS #58730
USPSA #A-45666

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com