Author Topic: Projectile weight - light vs heavy?  (Read 1666 times)

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Projectile weight - light vs heavy?
« on: February 24, 2015, 04:28:29 AM »
Hi all,

I am sourcing some new .38 spl projectiles and looking at different projectile weights to what I'm used to.

I've tried 125gn which were too short and had to crimp to the lube groove, then tried 130gn which were slightly too short but that supplier has stopped for several months due to high lead levels in his blood.

I'm now looking at 146gn or 156gn RNFP.

What is the benefit of light vs heavier weights?

Note I am using appropriate load data in accordance with the powder manufacturer.

Thanks.

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Projectile weight - light vs heavy?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 04:12:37 PM »
In a revolver there will be a difference in  felt recoil but in a rifle the difference in felt recoil is negligible due mostly to the weight of the  weapon.

However the lighter bullet will shoot lower than the heavier bullet in either case.
Recoil starts then the bullet starts moving from the chamber and stops when the bullet leaves the muzzle, Newton law III, i think.

Otherwise use the bullet in the rifle that will feed reliably and is accurate. In the revolver the one that has the lightest recoil and is accurate and looks different to keep the ammo separate.

I load a 125 grain that feeds quite well through my daughters 1886 and in her revolvers also. which is easy on the recoil  and is accurate. We use nickle plated cases for the revolvers  and brass for the rifle. The bullet and powder charge is the same but a split plated case will tie up a rifle. Not so a revolver.

I hope this helps
Hold center
Bunk

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com