Author Topic: bullet size for 56 50  (Read 1954 times)

Offline KEN S

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
bullet size for 56 50
« on: February 22, 2015, 06:55:58 AM »
I have an original 65 Burnside Carbine.  shoots like a dream.  350 grain, 1 in 20 lead,  515 as cast, not sized. Lyman mould.
  33 2F, hard card and two newspaper cards... 3 inches or less, sometimes MUCH less at 50 yes. 
  No problem.. (Will that load remove ICE DAMS from my roof??????)

ok...here I go again.  will a 520 bullet be more accurate? or am I just whining..and if so, where can I buy some to test before I go for a mould I really don't need anyway....

Hey...it's raining and snowing and LIGHTNING of all things on Cape Cod...What else is there to think about.
    I bought the $99 blakesley yesterday, and I'm bored again..

Ken 

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: bullet size for 56 50
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 07:50:10 AM »
Ken S,

Just a suggestion on my part, but if it were me, I would stay with a bullet in and around the 350 gr weight.
The heavier= longer 520 gr bullet will have to be seated deeper into the cartridge case to maintain the same OAL you now have with the 350 gr weight bullet. More bullet means less powder.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 07:57:50 AM »
. . . "shoots like a dream" . . ."if it ain't broke, why try to fix it" . . . get out some tung oil and give her a nice rub down . . . and then thank her because she "shoots like a dream" . . .

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:56:43 AM »

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 05:40:38 PM »
By 520 I think you mean .520 am I correct if so a bullet between 350gr to 400gr made for the Spencer 56-50 around .520 will most likely improve accuracy I use the NEI .525-395gr unsized bullet in my Burncide Spencer carbine with very good results,BACO also sells a very good Spencer .520-375gr mould that works very well in original Spencers.It would pay to slug your bore for groove size before buying a new mould,with the 3 groove Burcide barrel you will need a set of digital or dial calipers to do this,role the bullet between the jaws with slight pressure on the jaws and check the high reading this will be your groove size then ad .01 inch to this to get your ideal bullet size

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com