Author Topic: Colt .45 ACP 2nd Gen cylinder in USFA  (Read 3152 times)

Offline tseaha

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Colt .45 ACP 2nd Gen cylinder in USFA
« on: February 20, 2015, 10:02:15 PM »
The USFA .45 ACP cylinder is to large to fit in a Colt frame. Conversely, is the smaller Colt 2nd Gen .45 ACP cylinder incompatible with the USFA frame?

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Colt .45 ACP 2nd Gen cylinder in USFA
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 11:30:54 AM »
Cylinders are not interchangeable between Colt and USFA.  Now…  somebody is going to jump in here and muddy the waters by telling you that USFA did make a model with a cylinder size identical to Colt and that is true, but so few of them were produced that they are not worth mentioning.   Standard USFA frame, cylinder window and cylinder are slightly larger than the Colt, making the Colt cylinder too small for the USFA frame.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline tseaha

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 12:07:16 PM »
Thank you Capt. John  😎

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:05:48 AM »

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 05:47:29 PM »
WWYS,
I believe that the frame of the Old Armory Original guns are also a bit oversized when compared to Colt and that the only difference between them and the standard models was that the cylinder window size and the cylinder were smaller.  Gary Granger made reference to this some time ago on this board and stated that he would often try to talk people out of ordering the OAO models, which were several hundred dollars more than the standard models, because there was no difference, apart from cylinder size, between the OAO and the standard models.
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline tseaha

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 07:03:06 PM »
Capt & WWYS, Both thank you for your help. I never got to visit USFA's new factory over by the airport. But I visited them under the blue dome. Met Gary, I think. My uncle worked for Colt as a master assembler under the blue dome from 1938 to 1972. I have some affinity for Colts and USFAs. Best regards. tseaha

Offline tseaha

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 08:50:00 PM »
I checked the ser# 226xx. The instruction book says revised 2003. No "Pt" on barrel.  Assume no Uberti parts from all of the previous posts. You folks know your USFAs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com