Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 23, 2017, 12:42:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Barracks (Moderators: Delmonico, Pitspitr)  |  Topic: Care and feeding of the Krag 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Care and feeding of the Krag  (Read 20585 times)
Drydock
MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2015, 10:34:52 pm »

A nice video of a Skirmish Run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHgdVbRvYM0

Civilize them with a Krag . . .
Pay Dirt Norvelle
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2015, 12:03:29 am »

I noticed in one of the previous posts that if you shoot the Krag with the bayonet, just to make sure it is completely latched.  I have a nice bayonet for my Krag , but I just can not get it to latch all of the way.  Is there a trick to doing this as I don't want to do any grinding, etc.

PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650
Niederlander
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2015, 08:10:40 am »

Don't grind on it!  I guarantee if it won't latch it's got petrified grease or rust somewhere it shouldn't be.  It happens all the time as that channel that slides on to the bayonet lug is difficult to clean.  Soak that area with WD-40 to soften that stuff up, and then carefully use a sharp pointed tool to scrape that stuff out.  All the corners in that slot are sharp and square, so if they don't look that way, it's full of crud.  Look especially at the forward end of it.  Hope that helps!

"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"
Pitspitr
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2015, 09:51:50 am »

A nice video of a Skirmish Run.
Gosh, its a shame you couldn't find video of somebody good.

I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA RSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Endowment Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life
Drydock
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2015, 09:54:32 am »

Well doggone it, no one ever takes anv video of me!   Tongue

Someone good you say?    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hA_oiPeJ0c

Drydock
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2015, 10:21:34 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh6YVhf0bcw   

Not a GAF Skirmish, but ol Hickock is always a fun watch.  He keeps that Krag topped off, but he needs a Mills belt, dammit!

I want to do a Skirmish out at our farm someday, using 2 liters as targets.  They react so well!

Pitspitr
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 09:39:20 am »

Well doggone it, no one ever takes anv video of me!   Tongue

Someone good you say?    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hA_oiPeJ0c
Yep Charles definitely qualifies as good Grin

CPL Jayhawker Jake
Very Active Citizen

Over the Hills and Far Away...

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2015, 06:11:24 pm »

Thanks a lot guys.  After watching those videos, I had to go order dies and cast bullets so I can go blast with my Krag.  What do you people have against my wallet?   Roll Eyes

Seriously though, all I need to do is find some Trail Boss and I can start working up a good plinking/CAS load for the Krag.

GAF #827
Drydock
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2015, 07:14:17 pm »

Oh, we are REAL GOOD at spending your money fer ya! Grin

pony express
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2015, 07:32:11 pm »

Jake, if you can't find Trailboss, you can use Unique, red dot, green dot, and similar pistol/shotgun powders. Big advantage of Trailboss is you can't double charge it-it just won't fit. When I use the others, I make a check stick from a pencil or dowel, to be sure.(I still don't do progressive, form me it's single stage with loading blocks.0
CPL Jayhawker Jake
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2015, 06:06:30 pm »

Jake, if you can't find Trailboss, you can use Unique, red dot, green dot, and similar pistol/shotgun powders. Big advantage of Trailboss is you can't double charge it-it just won't fit. When I use the others, I make a check stick from a pencil or dowel, to be sure.(I still don't do progressive, form me it's single stage with loading blocks.0

There's a local shop I go to that has had most powders in stock the last month or two, so I'm hoping they'll have TB.  If not, I do remember seeing the other powders you mentioned, so I'll have back up options. 

GAF #827
pony express
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2015, 07:07:12 pm »

Here's a basic article about cast bullets in military calibers, old article but good, although there's lots of new powders on the market since it was written:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?13425-Cast-Bullet-Loads-for-Military-Rifles-Article&s=e76dabcdf8197e919ed57de36315a253

Most appropriate for our shooting would be the "100 yard" loads listed, although the 16gr 2400 would work for the "long" range side matches we sometimes do. But I doubt loads with 2400 could be slowed down to meet regular match velocities.
CPL Jayhawker Jake
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2015, 06:04:26 pm »

Found the Trail Boss, and my Midway order of Krag dies and 200gr Oregon Trail cast bullets arrived, and now I've got 20rds loaded up for testing.  Trying 11gr-12.5gr of Trail Boss in half-grain increase, 5 round batches, as well as slightly stouter .30-06 loads using the same bullet.  Now if I could just get the weather to cooperate, and I can go test these loads out.  Right now, I'm looking at 6 inches of snow, with more coming down.  Roll Eyes 

Hopefully tomorrow I can test 'em, and let y'all know if I blew up my Krag or not.  Undecided

GAF #827
pony express
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2015, 08:00:02 pm »

I use 11.5 gr in mine, but I've never done any serious load development, but it's plenty good for what we do. No real need to go hotter on the '06, I use the same charge in it, as well as for the 8X50RLebel. Only full size milsurp that it hasn't worked for me at 11.5 is a GEW98, bullets tumbled. But it worked fine in the GEW88, go figure.
CPL Jayhawker Jake
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2015, 09:27:52 pm »

Weather cooperated today, and I hand the chance to test out the loads.  I've narrowed it down to two potential .30-06 loads, and will hopefully get it finalized tomorrow.  Had a bit of trouble with the .30-40 Krag loads, as I set my sight at "600", and then proceeded to shoot over my targets!  Fortunately, I figured out the problem quickly enough, but that still leaves me with three loads to retest tomorrow.  Oh, well.  Not going to complain about "having" to go out and shoot, even if they are "mouse-fart" loads.  Roll Eyes

GAF #827
pony express
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2015, 10:59:32 pm »

I've never needed to set my sights that high, usually I use either 400, or just below that at the "B" mark. My '03 hits close enough for steel knockdowns with the sight leaf folded down in the battle sight position.
CPL Jayhawker Jake
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2015, 03:46:16 pm »

Finalized on the loadings, going with 16gr of Trail Boss in .30-06, and 12gr in .30-40 Krag.  The two loads seem to group well, and match the point of aim with the sights set to 6 and 4, respectively.  When I get the chance, I'll practice a bit more, and see if the '03's battle sight will work with these loads at ranges less than 100 yards.  Since the battle sight should be zeroed at 547 yards or so, it should be close enough to work.  Thanks for the help/info/advice everybody. 

Now, on to the uniform!  Roll Eyes

GAF #827
Charles Isaac
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2015, 09:05:12 pm »

Now if I could just get the weather to cooperate, and I can go test these loads out.  Right now, I'm looking at 6 inches of snow, with more coming down. 

Yep, for some strange reason those old Springfield Armory guns won't shoot straight in the snow!  Cheesy

Niederlander
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2015, 10:22:44 am »

I've found that NONE of my guns shoot very straight in the snow!  (Couldn't possibly be me...........could it?)

"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"
Charles Isaac
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2015, 01:06:37 pm »

I've found that NONE of my guns shoot very straight in the snow!  (Couldn't possibly be me...........could it?)

Naaawww-it was the snow!

Remember this one I got from that guy up in Alaska?  Bet that's what happened to it-got shot in the snow! Blowed it apart! Cheesy

Pitspitr
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2015, 02:13:36 pm »

And Neiderlander complains about crescent butt plates! Bet that one would be pretty uncomfortable to shoot even with mouse fart loads

River City John
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Mr. & Mrs. John Covert

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2015, 05:47:23 pm »

That's an after-dinner rifle. You can pick your teeth with it as you sight it in.

RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/River_City_John
CPL Jayhawker Jake
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2015, 06:03:57 pm »

Yep, for some strange reason those old Springfield Armory guns won't shoot straight in the snow!  Cheesy

The problem wasn't that the Krag couldn't shoot straight in the snow, it was that the shooter couldn't see the target at 100 yards!

And, possibly, the shooter is too much of a soft millennial to go out and shoot in a snow storm.  Roll Eyes

Ouch.  Put a bayonet on that, and you could stab stuff on both ends.  Undecided

GAF #827
Charles Isaac
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2015, 06:44:58 pm »

Ha Ha! Yep! A shard of walnut with a Krag attached to it!

cpt dan blodgett
Top Active Citizen

SASS Conv 2013

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2015, 06:04:06 pm »

+1 on the new DCM barrels.  Made the mistake of shooting the 03 at winter range this year missed one at both 100 and 200 leaving me out in the cold.  My fault not the rifle the DCM barrel on it shoots just fine.  Just for grins shot the krag and went 10 for 10, which would have won the match.  I had the DCM barrel installed on it about 3 years ago when I could not put two consecutive rounds on a 20 x 24 target at 25 yards.

Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Barracks (Moderators: Delmonico, Pitspitr)  |  Topic: Care and feeding of the Krag « previous next »
Jump to: