Author Topic: Colt Walker holster  (Read 10752 times)

Offline Flatbush

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Colt Walker holster
« on: February 14, 2015, 03:15:08 PM »
Fellers,

I'm looking for a holster without a flap for a Uberti/Colt Walker.

I have one with a "Dan Brooks" makers mark labeled "Walker Colt", but it is too short and the barrel sticks out the bottom of it.

I see Cabela's  has one made by Triple K for $35 but I don't like the snapped thumb strap.

Cimarron's website has one, but now we're up to $81.

Being a cheapskate, I'm considering buying the Triple K from Cabela's and just cutting off the thumb strap, unless you fellers have some better ideas.

Thanks,
Flatbush

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Colt Walker holster
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 03:41:40 PM »
Flatbush,
Get the Triple-K. Remove the snap straps and take it to your local shoe repair shop and have them remove the buttons and sew the snap belt loop onto the back of the holster to make it into a "slim Jim" style holster. I don't have a photo but that's how I packed my Walkers for several years. It ain't that authentic nor purdy but it's FUNCTIONAL. Nobody cares when they see the size of the hogleg anyway.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 04:16:15 PM »
Ho Flatbush,

You gonna shoot that big hawg leg at Reconing on the Rock come June?  I'll be camped there and would enjoy your company.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:19:37 PM »

Offline Flatbush

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 08:32:47 PM »
Hellgate,

Sounds like a good idea.

DD,

Sounds like another good idea. I missed last year, don't want to miss this year! I'll see you there.

Flatbush

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 05:11:10 PM »
I've got a walker and a couple dragoons, I'd just as soon have buckets on a horse for them......I think a standard holster would relieve me of my pants! :o Damn those things are heavy!
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 11:15:02 AM »
Yup....thats why I'm having a rig made with a shoulder-strap. A belt will still be used, but I need to transfer some of that weight to my shoulders, or wind up with the durn thing down around my ankles!

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 04:53:23 AM »
Before you buy a Triple K holster marked for a Walker make sure it will hold one. I tried one at Cabelas and the Walker will NOT fit in it. They (Cabelas) should have a Walker in stock that you can try. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 09:53:39 AM »
I hear tell that some Pards shoot a brace of 47 Walker Colts Gunfighter style.  Takes strong arms to do that.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 11:15:56 PM »
I couldn't do gunfighter with my Walkers so I shot them in Frontier Cartridge category so I could use two hands on each gun. If I missed it was purely my fault as those guns were like rifles in their accuracy and even if you jerked the trigger they were so heavy it wouldn't pull you off target.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Flatbush

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 03:19:33 AM »
Well the Triple K holster arrived and boy it's a tight fit. It was a struggle getting it in. It loosened up a little by keeping the gun in it for a while, but it's going to need the "soak and stretch technique" to get properly fitted. As far as holsters go it looks like a sturdy rig with thick leather and good stitching.

I'm going to remove the snaps and go the Slim Jim route like Hellgate suggested. I've done some minor leather work and holster modifications for my '51's and '60's with a hand stitcher so I reckon I'll be able to tackle this work too. Eventually it will warm up enough to venture outside and actually shoot it. Last night it was 15 below zero on my way home from work!

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 11:44:53 AM »
I have a pattern for a Walker holster taken from an original according to an old acquaintance of mine.  It is a Slim Jim style with a loop sewn to the back, and some tooling on the front.  I'd be happy to trace it, and mail a copy if that would help. I made one for my own Walker Colt - a Uberti - but sold it with the pistol many many years past.  I believe the holster may still be for sale...if you wish, I'll inquire.

Offline Flatbush

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 10:36:22 PM »
Hey Gabriel Law,

Thanks for offering to help on the holster, but if I ended up with a second holster I would be liable to do something crazy like buy a second Walker too!

I'm already trying to control myself from buying a 1911 just because I have a pile of brass for it. ;D

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 06:20:12 PM »
One of our shooters, Chaos Jumbles, shoots double duelist with a Walker on one side and a Dragoon on the other.  then he goes for the Uberti Henry and follows it with a 10 ga double.  He ain't no Spring Chicken either.

Offline Truly Grits

• Very Active Citizen
  • THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 02:57:03 PM »
Hey Gabriel Law,

Thanks for offering to help on the holster, but if I ended up with a second holster I would be liable to do something crazy like buy a second Walker too!

I'm already trying to control myself from buying a 1911 just because I have a pile of brass for it. ;D

I'm relatively new here, but how can acquiring another pistol ever be called crazy?  ;)

Cheers!
A wise person once said ...
There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it.
You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good.
So love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't.
Life is too short to be anything but happy.
Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living. Cheers!

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Keep your pants and your powder dry.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2015, 10:05:55 PM »
Hey Gabriel Law,

Did you ever get a holster for the Walker?
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com