Author Topic: Remington New Model Army and Navy Revolvers in the Confederacy  (Read 4379 times)

Offline Ike Kant

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Remington New Model Army and Navy Revolvers in the Confederacy
« on: February 07, 2015, 09:14:31 PM »
To what extent did CSA soldiers and officers use this handgun during the armed conflict if at all? I want to give my East Tennessee pard a brand new, reliable percussion revolver. I think he'd have less trouble with a steel-framed Pietta Remington 1858 than the more troublesome open-tops. Dixie has a pretty good deal going on them. His only experience with percussion revolvers was when he shot my fully tuned and cap guard equipped Uberti 1860s a few years ago.  

Doug calls me Billy (Yank) and I call him Johnny (Reb).  Since he is an enthusiastic Civil War fan it's only fitting that he has such a living artifact. But it must be something that he would have had access to back in the day. His ancestors fought for the South in that savagely divided state and his loyalties lie there.  I'd like to keep this project under $300.  I will get someone to engrave the following message on the backstrap: "To Johnny from Billy."
"We should come home from afar,  from adventures and perils and discoveries every day, with new experiences and character." - Henry David Thoreau

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
Re: Remington New Model Army and Navy Revolvers in the Confederacy
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 01:33:17 PM »
They came out about midway through the war('62?), so I would say that anytime after that, there would be small numbers in southern hands.  I like the thought of Yankee's arming Rebels   ;).

Offline Gus Walker

• Top Active Citizen
  • The sunny slopes of long ago.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 04:47:27 PM »
 ;D  I would check out the Uberti 58 at Dixie for 285 bucks. The Uberti is finished better and is a little better balanced and closer to the original in size. 
Aye its been quite a ride aint it?

Advertising

Offline Ike Kant

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 12:07:37 PM »
;D  I would check out the Uberti 58 at Dixie for 285 bucks. The Uberti is finished better and is a little better balanced and closer to the original in size. 

The more I read about these, the more I want one. 
"We should come home from afar,  from adventures and perils and discoveries every day, with new experiences and character." - Henry David Thoreau

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 01:34:16 PM »
Code: [Select]
The more I read about these, the more I want one. 
Ah....go ahead and get two...
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 08:34:18 PM »
I have a Remington Old Model Navy that came from an elderly lady in Berryville, Va. who was selling her late husband's collection. Her comment on it was to the effect that..."He claimed that one of Mosby's men carried it, but he lied about other things too." It is government inspected and certainly could have wound up in the 43rd Va.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com