Author Topic: Loads for a 38LC  (Read 2934 times)

Offline OldCrow

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Loads for a 38LC
« on: February 07, 2015, 08:11:07 PM »
 I just picked up a conversion cylinder for my 51 and it is for 38 LC..I plan on using the 148gn HBWC in them but am having a time trying to locate a load for that bullet..I know I can use the Holy Black, but what are some good smokeless loads..It also appears that the bu;;et is seated pretty much flush with the top of the brass..All my other conversions were easy as they were 45LC..Any input would be welcomed..

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Loads for a 38LC
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 09:17:10 PM »
Trail Boss, next best powder to the Holly ;D
Buffalochip

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 09:45:11 PM »
The LC case is just a bit shorter than the Special case. I would look at reloading data for HBWC bullets in the Special and note the overall length of the loaded round, and match that. My 2008 version of the Hodgdon reloading tables shows that they loaded the 148gr. Hornady LHBWC to an oal of 1.160 in.  They show a dozen powder options, not including Bullseye as they don't make it, but among them it shows Trail Boss starting at 2.0 gr and topping out at 2.3 gr.

For several decades the standard bullseye target load for the .38 Spl was 2.7 gr. of "Bullseye" powder. I'm not sure what is available today, but here is a link to the Smith & Wesson forum that indicates 2.8 gr of Bullseye worked in the .38 Long Colt for that person at least.

Mike says that Trail Boss works, and I know it has a great reputation, but I have not tried it as I have too many good powders already in my stash.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloading/199372-reloading-38-long-colt.html

Whenever you have a load question consult  a reliable data source, like the powder companies. here are the two most common;

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/node

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx?page=/reloaders/RecipePrint.aspx&

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:13:52 PM »

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 12:57:51 PM »
I tried various loads in my 1892 Army DA with HBWC bullets, and various seating depths. I can say that with Bullseye and Titegroup, exact seating depth makes a REALLY big difference in the power of the load. So I would say that if you're going to use LC cases, and seat the bullets flush, better start at the bottom of the recommended charge weights. I tried everything from seated flush in LC cases, to .38spl cases, and seated out as long as the cylinder would allow. Seemed like nothing I tried got the skirt to fully engage the rifling, though. You might have better luck with your converted navy, though, since I think they have deeper rifling grooves.

Also, if your cylinder is bored straight through, it should readily accept standard .38spl wadcutter ammo.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com