Author Topic: belt knife  (Read 6421 times)

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
belt knife
« on: February 07, 2015, 01:57:05 PM »
This is what I came up with for a carrying knife. Not the handiest but looks like I'm ready for a friendly bar fight.
Blade is A2 steel with brass and walnut handle. All made form scratch and my attempt at a sheath, that works as I hoped it would.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: belt knife
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 11:01:28 AM »
Pretty as a picture, as they say. I also like the brass on the pommel. I have always thought that
truly useful knives are just a bit "naked" when they lack that butt plate.  Just sayin....

Nice work!

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

1961MJS

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 01:40:49 PM »
Hi

I love the knife, good proportions nice work.  I like the sheath also, but would have left a little more knife showing.  Great simple working setup.  I have The Bowie Knife: Unsheathing an American Legend Hardcover by Norm Flayderman and they're some GAUDY stuff in there.

Mike

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:37:14 AM »

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 09:52:18 AM »
Hi

I love the knife, good proportions nice work.  I like the sheath also, but would have left a little more knife showing.  Great simple working setup.  I have The Bowie Knife: Unsheathing an American Legend Hardcover by Norm Flayderman and they're some GAUDY stuff in there.

Mike

Yeah...I'm definitely from the "less-is-more"-school. I have searched-out a lot of pictures on GOOGLE Images and I like the more primative Native American stuff, but once a person gets past all of the fringe and beads and artificially aged stuff I have to wonder  just what I really have. Its true that I see posed pictures of 19th Century Native Americans with some pretty elaborate stuff.  but each time I see pictures of Scouts under real life conditions the sheathes are very utilitarian.  Just sayin...

Best Wishes,

Bruce 
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 10:21:07 AM »
Yeah...I'm definitely from the "less-is-more"-school. I have searched-out a lot of pictures on GOOGLE Images and I like the more primative Native American stuff, but once a person gets past all of the fringe and beads and artificially aged stuff I have to wonder  just what I really have. Its true that I see posed pictures of 19th Century Native Americans with some pretty elaborate stuff.  but each time I see pictures of Scouts under real life conditions the sheathes are very utilitarian.  Just sayin...
Best Wishes,
Bruce 

The decorative stuff was done by the women. Unless the scout or other Westerner had a "close" relationship with a local woman, he had to buy stuff, or do it himself, and usually on the plain side.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 11:02:41 AM »
Thanks for the kind reviews on the knife. Yep I favor the plain mostly. Little flash and mostly bang could be my byline.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com