Author Topic: Harvested a deer with an original Spencer carbine  (Read 3036 times)

Offline npm5063

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Harvested a deer with an original Spencer carbine
« on: February 06, 2015, 12:45:53 PM »
just wanted to share a story about this years rifle season, it was always a dream of mine to take my spencer out hunting deer and this year the weather cooperated enough to go out one day, i have shot my gun enough to know its accuracy and decided if it was within 50 yards i would take a shot well as fate would have it a big doe stopped broadside at about 30 yards so i took the shot and she dropped immediately. as i was skinning it out i was looking at the wound and saw what it was like to be hit my one of these things and it put into perspective the severity of the wounds that were received in the civil war, its easy to read about it in a book but i saw it first hand and it was well worth the experience       

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Harvested a deer with an original Spencer carbine
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 12:53:20 PM »
Hi Npm5063,

Thanks for posting and sharing your hunting experience . . . wish you had photos to share.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Ibgreen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 01:58:47 PM »
just wanted to share a story about this years rifle season, it was always a dream of mine to take my spencer out hunting deer and this year the weather cooperated enough to go out one day, i have shot my gun enough to know its accuracy and decided if it was within 50 yards i would take a shot well as fate would have it a big doe stopped broadside at about 30 yards so i took the shot and she dropped immediately. as i was skinning it out i was looking at the wound and saw what it was like to be hit my one of these things and it put into perspective the severity of the wounds that were received in the civil war, its easy to read about it in a book but i saw it first hand and it was well worth the experience       

Congratulations.  Mine ran about 20 yards.  You must have made a much better shot.  I am confident up to 100 yards.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:39:46 PM »

Offline npm5063

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 03:25:27 PM »
wish i would of taken pictures to but it was a little warm and we wanted to get her cleaned fast, i hit her perfectly right in the heart and the entrance hole was gigantic she didnt have a chance just how i like them quick and no struggle

Offline El Tio Loco

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 11:53:11 AM »
Congratulations on a successful hunt.  Vintage hunting at its finest.

What bullet and load did you use? 

Ken

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 12:53:28 PM »
Most Excellent!   What caliber is your Spencer?
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com