Author Topic: Anyone holster, carry their USFA's?  (Read 20953 times)

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Anyone holster, carry their USFA's?
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 10:16:10 PM »
My Winchester was restored by a friend of Bruce's who has a shop on S. Dakota and specialized in Winchester restorations.  He uses a CCH process that duplicates the original Winchester method and the job that he did on mine is as good, if not better, than anything I have seen from Turnbull.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Highlander999

• Top Active Citizen
  • We don't rent pigs.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 08:39:44 AM »
Awesome Leather and Guns Yahoody!

I like show and tell :-)  Rigs shown left to right, leather lined,  soft leather lined and the final two unlined.  I prefer a hard leather lining on a using rig.  No lining on a simply carry rig.  Holster wear just shows you actually used your guns as intended.  They get bad enough you simply have them refinished.  Personally I like "What's" gun and generally shoot something similar with almost no finish left on the gun.

Two guns with little finish left.....
One is a 100+ years of honest wear from holster and cleaning.  The other modern and intentional.

“I have, in my day, thieved cattle, your lordship. But none that were under my watch” (“Is that what passes for honor with a MacGregor”, Earl of Montrose), “What passes for honor with me, is likely not the same as with your Lordship, when my word is given, it is good”
                     (Rob Roy)

Offline Highlander999

• Top Active Citizen
  • We don't rent pigs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 08:40:40 AM »
TDW, I love those Masonic Grips!

I have always liked Rick's work, and have been buying holsters from him for many years. His stuff is pretty much top of the line.
I don't have any real photos of my USFA's or leather....Just some crummy phone pics.

My Custer Battlefield model in some of Rick's leather.

Out for a day of shooting with my kids. Carrying my Black Powder frame, antiqued, Sheriff's Model (s/n A003) with Nutmeg Sports ivories, in a shorty holster Rick made for me years ago.

The picture Jim Alaimo sent me while he was working on the "one piece" ivories for the Sheriff's Model

I shoot my USFA's all the time.

It's why I bought them....

Don't care if they have become collectables.

IMHO, Firearms without personal memories attached to them, will mean nothing to your children. Enjoy your guns while you are here!
Tom W.
“I have, in my day, thieved cattle, your lordship. But none that were under my watch” (“Is that what passes for honor with a MacGregor”, Earl of Montrose), “What passes for honor with me, is likely not the same as with your Lordship, when my word is given, it is good”
                     (Rob Roy)

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:35:37 PM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 12:35:56 PM »
I, too, like those grips, even though I am not a Mason. One thing, for those who don't know, that "3-7-77" was the warning the Montana vigilanties would mark on suspected rustlers' and other miscreant's domiciles. It meant they had 24 hours to clear out or they might find a "new home", 3 ft x 7 ft x 77 inches deep! (There is another interpretation, which I can't recall. The Montana vigilanties were the first "law" in Montana, and the Montana State Patrol still (last I checked) has "3-7-77" on their shoulder patches! Just who were members of the original posse? No one knows for sure, but most of the members of the Montana Stock Growers Association were alleged to have had a hand in the posse. Now that could have included the Marquis de Mores and his neighbor, a "four-eyed" rancher originally from back east who later led a charge up a certain hill in Cuba!  8)  BTW, does that MT. C of V stand for Montana Committee of Vigilance?  ;)
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Trooper Hook

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 12:43:12 PM »
Not only does the Montana Sate Patrol still have 3-7-77 on their shoulder patch, Their emergency assistance phone number ends in 3777 !  855-MHP-3777

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 01:15:13 PM »
On the 23rd of December 1863, a group of 23 individuals got together and wrote the regulations and by-laws which they used as the foundation for the Montana Vigilantes.  The 23 names of these men are known and the original hand written list and by-laws still exist.  James Williams was selected as their captain and his is the first name to appear on the list.  As for the 3-7-77, no one knows for sure and yes there are several interpretations.  The one favored by most is the one people think of as the dimensions of a grave.  Yes, this is still seen on the shoulder patches, hat emblems, badges and cruisers of the Montana State Highway patrol.   This is one link to our historic past, that still survives.   As a fifth generation Montanan, I'm glad to see that it has.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 02:28:40 PM »
Depending on who you talk to it seems to have gotten out of hand one way or the other in Johnson county.

Jim, it is one of the many reasons I appreciate the 45-75 :)
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2015, 07:14:43 PM »
Gentlemen,
     I have been gone to a family function today, and have not had a chance to follow this thread. I received a PM from one of the forum members who suggested I give a little explanation of the scrimshaw on my ivory grips. In the mean time several forum members have stepped forward with good information.
     Buck has touched on the fact that the names of the original 23 members who composed the original Montana vigilantes, are known and recorded. Most of the names of these individuals, are inexorably tied to the Freemasons of Bannack and Virginia City/Nevada City in Montana. There is a Masonic explanation for the "numbers" accepted by Masons, that may bear no more credibility than the others.
  The 3 represents the three Great Lights of the lodge, the 7 represents the seven principal officers of a lawfully constituted lodge of Masons, and the 77 represents the number of Masons at the first Masonic function at Bannack (a funeral). These are very important numbers to regular masons. The Masonic lodge in Bannack lives on as the Historical Lodge 3-7-77, out of respect for these early Montana Masons..
    As a Master Mason, and as a semi-retired law enforcement officer in Montana, the "numbers" and the various myth associated with them represent (in a way) the first presence of a "law enforcement" body in the Montana Territory. The Montana Highway Patrol proudly incorporates these numbers in their logo as a reminder.
    The Masonic symbol on the grip, has the "All Seeing Eye" to represent the ever present watchfulness of the Committee of Vigilance (one of the many names the vigilante group were known by).
     None of the things I have written here, violate any of the Masonic codes or "secrets", and most can actually be found on the internet.
      I apologize to Jared for taking this topic off track, but there appeared to be ample interest to warrant the diversion.
Tom W.  

The farther North you go, the more things you will run into that will eat your horse.

Offline jdpress

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2015, 04:30:48 AM »
Tom W.

Great information that adds a lot of good background knowledge to your very nice photographs of Rick Bachman's leather rigs.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful leather works of art and some of the details of your USFA revolvers.

Also, thank you very much for your years of service to the great state and people of Montana.

With appreciation,

J.D. Press

P.S.  I know Jared and believe that he also appreciates all of this additional information which really adds substance to the gorgeous items you shared with all of us.

Offline Highlander999

• Top Active Citizen
  • We don't rent pigs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2015, 11:16:42 AM »
Being a Past Master (of two lodges) and Past Commander of the Commandry, I really appreciate the Ivory Grips and the story... and the Masonic Meaning (which I'd never heard) for the 3-7-77 ....

Great stories all, and what a great item some ancestor will truly love.
                     (Rob Roy)

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2015, 11:27:47 AM »
jd,
   Thanks for the compliments...I have meant to take real pictures with my camera for a long time....Maybe some day I will actually get around to it. Ricks work deserves great pictures. I first met him at a small mountain man gathering at the Story Ranch in the mid 70's and have been impressed with his work ever since.

It has been MY honor to serve the people of the State of Montana. I have always felt it was something I could give back to the land, my town,and the people. Probably sounds "smarmy", but the team I work with all feel the same way.

As Butch can tell you, Montana is a place where the Wild West seems like just yesterday.

Tom W.  
The farther North you go, the more things you will run into that will eat your horse.

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2015, 11:40:57 AM »
Highlander999
   Not real common knowledge in or outside of Montana, but it has a great deal of credence to it.

Tom W.
Past Master, Doric #53, Big Timber
Life Member, Bannack Historical Lodge 3-7-77
32 Degree Scottish Rite, Valley of Livingston   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com