Author Topic: Belt ?  (Read 10921 times)

Offline pistol1911

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Belt ?
« on: January 25, 2015, 07:49:37 AM »
I have 2 1851 Navies and 2 1860 Armies. I have 2 slim jim holsters. I need help in what type of belt to get.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
Re: Belt ?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 08:30:29 AM »
I suggest you peruse Packing Iron by Rattenberry   :)

The slim jims & the two Colts predate the cartridge & ranger belts ....
you will find straight belts with square frame buckles, Military plates & two piece buckles  ,
folded money belts without cartridge loops,  with one larger or two small buckles & billets
early on they were simple straps really 1 1/2 - 2 1/4" mostly , sometimes they were tapered to accommodate slightly smaller buckle size.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 10:05:42 AM »
Add a cap pouch and another pouch just big enough for the other gear to reload. 8)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:26:44 AM »

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 05:53:48 PM »
I would prefer a straight belt that fits the holsters belt loop snugly and use a round antiqued brass re-enactment buckle.  Most of the Slim Jims do not have very wide belt loops, so check them carefully.  For SASS I used to wear most of my staples in pouches slung around my neck to carry to the benches.  On the belt I carried one five round slide for spare rifle cartridges and a medium to large sheath knife to hang the empty pouches over after loading.  Those pouches were great for the empty shells/hulls at the clearing table.   http://springfieldleather.com/16623/Buckle%2CCtrBar%2CRnd%2CIron%2C2%22/

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 07:50:22 PM »
I have 2 1851 Navies and 2 1860 Armies. I have 2 slim jim holsters. I need help in what type of belt to get.
How wide are the belt loops on the holsters? What era or character are you portraying?  Generally, you will want a straight belt, but the character and/or the era will influence the type of buckle or belt plate that will go with it. Also, what color are your holsters?
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 10:19:16 AM »
Here is a picture that might help you out.  I made this rig a few years ago when I started shooting Frontiersman.  It is just a plain belt with a width to fit the  buckle.
Lucky
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Offline pistol1911

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 02:10:12 PM »
I can use a 3 inch belt with the holsters.Because of my Southern birth ( Alabama) and the fact my great-great Grandfathers fought for the South I will have to be a Confederate veteran. The holsters are brown.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 02:52:45 PM »
I can use a 3 inch belt with the holsters.Because of my Southern birth ( Alabama) and the fact my great-great Grandfathers fought for the South I will have to be a Confederate veteran. The holsters are brown.
You will probably want a belt plate for either State of Alabama Volunteers or a CS belt plate. (BTW, what Alabama outfit? I had a great-great uncle with the 23rd Alabama.) The place to look for a belt plate is Tim Parsley's Brass, http://parsleysbrass.com .  Tell him Jim "Trailrider" Barnard sent you.  He is now selling belts to go with the belt plates. I also make belts, but I'd have to have the belt plate, and you might as well save the postage by ordering everything from Tim. I believe he also still has the capability to make the Grand Army of the Frontier plate. (Of course you'd want to join the GAF, although it's not mandatory.)

From a historical standpoint, many Confederates, especially officers who had been in the Union Army prior to the war, continued to wear their M1851 Eagle belt plates, either with the silver enlisted pattern wreath, or with the gold wreath. (See photos of Robert E. Lee.) Some enlisted troops who had been part of state militias that used Federal pattern uniforms, simply turned the belts and belt plates upside down!  Many wore their home state plates. (See Tim's selection of Alabama plates.)  From what I have found, there were not that many CS plates worn, simply because most of the units were state outfits, and the Confederacy didn't have the production capacity to produce brass belt plates.

Hope this helps.

Your obdt servant,
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline pistol1911

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 04:12:10 PM »
Thanks so much for your reply.My Great-great Grandfather on my mothers side was Robert Nelson Woodham,Sgt. Co H 3rd Alabama Infantry.He enlisted in 1861 and was in Lee's army when he surrendered. My g-g father on father's side was in a Calvary unit attached to Nathan Forrest. I don't remember the unit designation. His name is William Moses Hughes.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 05:09:13 PM »
You might check with David Carrico(Carrico Leather). He made a plain belt with no bullet loops and a square belt. His stuff is historically correct and the workmanship is great.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 05:39:47 PM »
If your Slim Jims are period correct, they should have belt loops that will accommodate only a 2" waist belt.  The belt pictured in Lucky R. K.'s photo is correct.  It is important to remember that civilian Slim Jims are pre-California Gold Rush.  They were designed to be worn on military style belts of that period.  This feature carried on throughout the 1850 and early 1870 period.  In our collection, we have cartridge belts that were made in the early 1870's for percussion conversions that are only 2" wide to go with Slim Jims made for cartridge conversion revolvers.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 06:17:06 PM »
a couple of options   :)   

http://www.dellsleatherworks.com/plates/027.htm

http://www.dellsleatherworks.com/plates/026.htm

If you check my avatar you will see the Florida Star by Dells Leather .... my Buckle & belt was $60 ....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 01:55:18 PM »
In point of fact, the issue Federal waist and NCO sword belts were just slightly less than the 1-7/8" width of the belt plate slots. Some of the Confederate belt plates have slightly smaller slots. Officers had to buy their own belts, and most were 1-5/8 - 1-3/4" slots widths. Two-inch belt loops sewn on holsters work fine with those belts! As to color, at the beginning of the War, most of the Confederate equipment was Federal pattern, i.e., dyed black! Later in the War, when losses of both men and equipment required new leather, the Confederacy and state fabricators used plain leather, sometimes dyed with walnut shells, etc., resulting in what we presently call "russet", which is technically "stuffed russet", or oil impregnated leather.

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 04:27:39 PM »
Lucky....Really nice rig!  I may have to do a copy of it for my '58 Remmie NMA copies (but just a little different, to be repectful and unique).
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 09:05:45 AM »
Lucky....Really nice rig!  I may have to do a copy of it for my '58 Remmie NMA copies (but just a little different, to be repectful and unique).
Thanks for the kind words Troy.  Please feel free to copy or modify the design to suit your needs.  The holster design I used came from Chuck Burrows DVD and the stamping design is from a Tandy billfold pattern I modified.

Good Luck on your project.

Lucky
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Offline Massive

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 02:18:15 PM »
Is CS historically correct to the period.  I have one of those stamp sets that does US and CS, and occasionally try to imagine a Canadian swing for the CS, since I was told it was not correct for the period, for the south.  Of course, in a war as large as the Civil War there was probably at least one person with a Miley Cyrus t-shirt, so a little creativity shouldn't be ruled out.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 03:02:40 PM »

I would write/talk to David Carrico.  He has a nice black US Army belt with buckle that would look great, if you need a different color he can make/has it in stock.

Cheers.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com